2021 MB WE & Patron of the Arts

MacJ

I went into the Chicago MB yesterday  for a repair and they informed me that the 2021 WE is going to be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (long overdue, in my book) and Napoleon will be celebrated as the Patron of the Arts. They had photos of the Napoleon and it looked nice, more functional than the Montezuma. WE is still on schedule for an April release with June delivery.

Also, the second version of the calligraphy nib (which was supposed to be similar to an architect grind) that was set for 2020 has been scrapped and they will continue with the flex calligraphy nib on other pens in that series. The exception is that some very high-end skeleton pens in the China market will get the architect calligraphy nib as it’s better suited to Chinese characters.

Has anyone heard anything else or different?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• Toll

• jagwap

• Cyrille81

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very sensible to keep the 149 Caligraphy a flex nib for the future. It is their best nib in the modern age.

Did they say when the new caligraphy models will launch? I want to see the gradient burgundy solitair model in real life, and maybe in my collection. Although a Heritage 1912 flex would really get my interest...

Napoleon strikes me more of a looter and destroyer of art than a patron. I can't say the pen or its dedication appeals.

The Doyle in the pictures appears to be one of the limited number given the mother of pearl and certain details given?

Neither appeal to me. As a Holmes fan, I am especially disappointed in the Doyle model and I doubt the pen's aesthetic would appeal to either Sherlock or Watson.

I'm also a big Holmes fan, and unfortunately I can envision lots of horrible solecisms MB might commit with a pen in Conan Doyle's honor. Without being able to see the photos, I can only cringe in anticipation of the errors, given all the distortions that have been visited on Conan Doyle's work by movies, TV, and popular culture. One can imagine a deerstalker on the top of the cap, or "Elementary, my dear Watson" engraved on the barrel.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

On 2/11/2021 at 12:06 PM, Uncial said:

Napoleon strikes me more of a looter and destroyer of art than a patron. I can't say the pen or its dedication appeals.

The Doyle in the pictures appears to be one of the limited number given the mother of pearl and certain details given?

If you will pardon me, this is a bit naïve. Every one of the "Patron of the Arts" was an exploiter or a destroyer of some sort. Great capitalists, men of power, strategists... Every one did finance the arts for his personal pretige. Napoleon is of course no exception. 

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

On 2/18/2021 at 11:16 PM, JCC123 said:

Where are the photos?

Knowing that the pens have not yet been officially launched, following the policy of this forum, the posts with the photographs were removed by the moderators. On the internet there are a few that, as published here (and removed) have very poor visual quality. It remains to wait for the launch. Although it was very cool to see a flash of the novelty.

1 hour ago, Namo said:

If you will pardon me, this is a bit naïve. Every one of the "Patron of the Arts" was an exploiter or a destroyer of some sort. Great capitalists, men of power, strategists... Every one did finance the arts for his personal pretige. Napoleon is of course no exception. 

With respect to the colleague who made the initial post (Uncial), I agree with his position (Namo). Furthermore, Montblanc decidedly (without offering criticism) has no commitment to consistency. If that were the case, the pen in honor of Gandhi, for example, could not be a luxurious writing instrument. In these cases, in my view, we appreciate (only) the elements incorporated in the pens that refer the honorees.

Perhaps we have a different understanding of what it means to be a patron to the arts. I know Napoleon didnt show a significant interest in art unless it flattered him, but he was a decent engineer, economist and war general. He tried to blow up the Al Hambra and succeeded in blowing up Moscow, and what he couldn't blow up he made sure it was burnt. It just strikes me as a bit of an odd character to label as a patron of the arts when there are so many millions of others in contention. It leaves me wondering what art in particular flourished under his specific patronage? I can only think of the Empire style, but it would surely be naive to think of that as being a new art revival style instead of a political prop for his claim as a new Emperor a la Constantinople; he had their bronze horses after all. I guess we can say he introduced the concept of museums but what we think of as a museum isnt entirely what Napoleon had in mind and I suspect it would also be naive to see it as anything more than a war trophy room, but in his case its a whole separate house because he's so utterly fabulous at what he does. I think I might be giving my bias away.

Anyway, I don't like the look of the pens, which is a great ethical and moral relief for me.

On 2/9/2021 at 5:29 PM, ljz said:

I'm afraid not

Me too. The last new WE didn't look good for me. I remain with the old editions (Wilde, Voltaire, Kafka, etc).

1 hour ago, Uncial said:

Perhaps we have a different understanding of what it means to be a patron to the arts. I know Napoleon didnt show a significant interest in art unless it flattered him, but he was a decent engineer, economist and war general. He tried to blow up the Al Hambra and succeeded in blowing up Moscow, and what he couldn't blow up he made sure it was burnt. It just strikes me as a bit of an odd character to label as a patron of the arts when there are so many millions of others in contention. It leaves me wondering what art in particular flourished under his specific patronage? I can only think of the Empire style, but it would surely be naive to think of that as being a new art revival style instead of a political prop for his claim as a new Emperor a la Constantinople; he had their bronze horses after all. I guess we can say he introduced the concept of museums but what we think of as a museum isnt entirely what Napoleon had in mind and I suspect it would also be naive to see it as anything more than a war trophy room, but in his case its a whole separate house because he's so utterly fabulous at what he does. I think I might be giving my bias away.

Anyway, I don't like the look of the pens, which is a great ethical and moral relief for me.

Well, he did favor the arts, something inbetween néoclassicism and romantism, and had a important influence on architecture. The times were different from Charlesmagne or Francois Ier: it was through the State that most of the financial work was done. And you speak about act of wars: well, Lorenzo was not a baby doll, nor was Charlesmagne or Friedrich II or Elisabeth the Ist. On might also remember that Napoléon had a major influence on European law in many countries (the still to be Germany and Italy, parts of Switzerland); of course, the Saxon world was not touched by this. Morgan and ali were great bankers and capitalist and as such... well, do I really need to make a drawing? I could be more kind about von Humbolt or Pavarotti, but I don't know their lives and background well enough. Of course Napoléon was a man of war and power and I am pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy a chat with him. But the the other mecenes were no better and somtimes worse. Anyway, this about pens.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!