The new 2021 Parker 51

Severn

On 4/12/2021 at 6:20 AM, adair said:

I ordered my first Parker 51 (2021 version) from a respectable seller from whom I have purchased other pens without any issues. Their service has always been great. My problem is not with them but with the pen. My feedback to them is that they might want to consider not selling this product at all.

My first one had a nib so scratchy I thought the tines were misaligned. I sent it back to them for service--they tried smoothing out the nib but  were only partially successful. They then decided to send me a whole new pen.

The second pen has awful flow. Since it is getting too expensive to keep shipping back (at this point the $80 pen has become $96), I adjusted the flow myself. It is better but still on the ungenerous side and not the smoothest nib either. I give up.

My thoughts: I am a great admirer of the original 51, yet I did not expect this new version to be an exact replica. I can live with the screw-on cap and the cartridge/converter fill. The overall build feels more solid than the Chinese clones. However, the writing experience is mediocre to poor, a tad worse than a Wing Sung, I would say. And the heavy cap adds too much weight to post--one of the beauties of the original was the perfect balance when posted.

At $80, this very mediocre pen is overpriced. It writes worse than my $19 Jotter fountain pen, which is actually a smooth wet writer. I don't understand how this can happen. Even more so because Parker used the same nib in the 51 as in the Jotter!!! 

It is a shame that Parker did not put more effort into what could have become once again their flagship pen. At best they have produced a pen with a generic nib that writes without grace or personality. If they had invested more care, I would have been prepared to pay more than the $80; as it is now, I regret the $80.  Based on the writing quality, this pen isn't worth more than $30. What a missed opportunity for Parker.

Also: I agree with all those complaining about the lack of a converter--that's an extra cost passed on to the buyer. So ungenerous. And no papers. It almost shows how little Parker cares about this pen. So sad.  My advice is: spend less and get a Wing Sung. Or better yet, buy a vintage 51 in good condition.

I'll probably sell this pen to someone who can fiddle with the nib so it won't be a total loss. I definitely will not include it in my rotation. And yes, I know, maybe I was unlucky and got two duds.

Wingsung 601 is surely a better writing instrument than 51(2021)deluxe.14k nib and sterling silver cap made wingsung a good pen.

And it looks more like an original 51!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• corniche

• Severn

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

On 4/12/2021 at 6:20 AM, adair said:

I ordered my first Parker 51 (2021 version) from a respectable seller from whom I have purchased other pens without any issues. Their service has always been great. My problem is not with them but with the pen. My feedback to them is that they might want to consider not selling this product at all.

My first one had a nib so scratchy I thought the tines were misaligned. I sent it back to them for service--they tried smoothing out the nib but  were only partially successful. They then decided to send me a whole new pen.

The second pen has awful flow. Since it is getting too expensive to keep shipping back (at this point the $80 pen has become $96), I adjusted the flow myself. It is better but still on the ungenerous side and not the smoothest nib either. I give up.

My thoughts: I am a great admirer of the original 51, yet I did not expect this new version to be an exact replica. I can live with the screw-on cap and the cartridge/converter fill. The overall build feels more solid than the Chinese clones. However, the writing experience is mediocre to poor, a tad worse than a Wing Sung, I would say. And the heavy cap adds too much weight to post--one of the beauties of the original was the perfect balance when posted.

At $80, this very mediocre pen is overpriced. It writes worse than my $19 Jotter fountain pen, which is actually a smooth wet writer. I don't understand how this can happen. Even more so because Parker used the same nib in the 51 as in the Jotter!!! 

It is a shame that Parker did not put more effort into what could have become once again their flagship pen. At best they have produced a pen with a generic nib that writes without grace or personality. If they had invested more care, I would have been prepared to pay more than the $80; as it is now, I regret the $80.  Based on the writing quality, this pen isn't worth more than $30. What a missed opportunity for Parker.

Also: I agree with all those complaining about the lack of a converter--that's an extra cost passed on to the buyer. So ungenerous. And no papers. It almost shows how little Parker cares about this pen. So sad.  My advice is: spend less and get a Wing Sung. Or better yet, buy a vintage 51 in good condition.

I'll probably sell this pen to someone who can fiddle with the nib so it won't be a total loss. I definitely will not include it in my rotation. And yes, I know, maybe I was unlucky and got two duds.

1st photo is a wingsung with sterling silver cap electronic plated with rhodium , 14k nib ,and vac filler,cost 459 RMB in China (about 80 dollars)

the next photo is the 51(2021)deluxe comparing with jinghao85(cost about 40 RMB?)

IMG_20210411_190851.jpg

IMG_20210401_225359.jpg

11 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

Being C/C one is not the worst drawback of this NG51 ;)

This new pen has many drawbacks that have been heavily discussed on other threads...

I decided not to buy it either... as I do not see it as a nice fit into my Parker collection... 

However, as you know there was a small number of original P51s with C/C manufactured  around 1958/59 ;)

Last year I saw one such pen in NOS condition sold for circa £300...

Yes,one of my friends have 2 or 3 nos conventer 51. with words like “ 51 cartridge”or something like that on the barrel.

26 minutes ago, IJKWS said:

Wingsung 601 is surely a better writing instrument than 51(2021)deluxe.14k nib and sterling silver cap made wingsung a good pen.

And it looks more like an original 51!

I have a Wing Sung 601 and it is a nice writer. But I am not certain where outside China you can get a gold-nibbed version. Luckily for me, I like the F-XF line width of the steel nib. The replacement filler unit is available for under C$5 if anything ever goes wrong. I don't know about the cap weight of a silver-gold combination, but it would certainly be heavier than the brushed steel on mine (which is lighter than the cap of the new 51).

I also have the Jin Hao 85 you discuss in your next post, and find it is also a very nice writer with its F-XF steel nib. The 85's cap is not as heavy as that of the new model 51 (possibly an advantage for those who post, but I would not know). In overall length the pen and cap is a few mm larger than the 51 (which is in turn a few mm longer than the Wing Sung 601).

I have found that (with Montblanc or Pelikan inks) the new 51 writes, for me, a little smoother than either of these very good Chinese pens.

And they are a lot less expensive.

Thank you for the pictures of the upscale 601!

I have never seen that deluxe 601. Stunning.

As for the regular 601, it isn't bad for the price, and I do love the vintage colors. Unfortunately, perhaps because it uses the vac system, mine has once or twice "burped" ink onto the page. Also, I find the fill system fragile and one that makes cleaning a bit more of a challenge. Finally, it does not come in medium (to my knowledge). On the whole, it just doesn't inspire confidence as a daily workhorse. That's what I thought the new 51 would be--alas...

Adair: It looks like the latest database update deleted your last message and my reply.

So, in point form:

1 I can't help you regarding the Sonnet as I have never owned one - the style doesn't appeal to me.

2 You might want to take a look at the new Sheaffer Icon -- lower cost than the new 51, looks like a partial hood, and sort of snazzy for a Sheaffer.

3 The Parker info websites do mention the burping issue. My experience with the "51" vac-fill model (sort of similar to the 601) was that when the ink volume gets low, the warmth of your hand after a while can warm up the air in the barrel, forcing it to "burp" out and maybe leaving a blob of ink on the paper.

Hope this helps!

6 hours ago, adair said:

I have never seen that deluxe 601. Stunning.

As for the regular 601, it isn't bad for the price, and I do love the vintage colors. Unfortunately, perhaps because it uses the vac system, mine has once or twice "burped" ink onto the page. Also, I find the fill system fragile and one that makes cleaning a bit more of a challenge. Finally, it does not come in medium (to my knowledge). On the whole, it just doesn't inspire confidence as a daily workhorse. That's what I thought the new 51 would be--alas...

Mine burped also. Last time I remembered something I do with the real early "51"'s and that is to depress the plunger prior to putting the nib in the ink and, depressing before removing. Also, the person who restored one of the "42 P 51's said to get into the habit of filling on the same day every week. Maybe it is best not to let these fill systems run dry. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I've tried the Lamy Safari--it writes quite well, but, I personally just don't care for the design, especially that large paper-clip clip. That's just me, not the pen. 

I've also tried the Metropolitan, but only an early version in fine, which was more like extra-fine. It was good, and with a solid construction--I'll have to try a medium. 

I'm going to shy away from the Sonnet, though I like the look of the "flighter" version at Jetpens. 

I'm personally not a fan either of the Lamy. I have a Sonnet in stainless steel and I really like it too, so I would still get that if it were me.

Part of my problem might be my being far too protective of my best pens, like my MB 146, my vintage 51's, or my Pilot Custom 823. I should get over it and use them in the field, not just at home--what are they for, after all? Plus, I don't want to go through another Parker disappointment, especially as inked pens cannot be returned. Maybe I'll settle on my Sheaffer Legacy--it is a little battered on the outside but writes like a dream--one of the last of the great Sheaffer inlaid nibs. It is time to use what we have!

If you have the Legacy, then you probably won't need the Icon. Same general shape, but the Icon has far simpler lines with more intense matte colours, and a hooded instead of inlaid nib.

The 146 has a near-clone in the Sailor 1911 Large, but the Japanese pen is priced a lot higher than you probably want to go for a "beater" pen.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

24 minutes ago, adair said:

Part of my problem might be my being far too protective of my best pens, like my MB 146, my vintage 51's, or my Pilot Custom 823. I should get over it and use them in the field, not just at home--what are they for, after all? Plus, I don't want to go through another Parker disappointment, especially as inked pens cannot be returned. Maybe I'll settle on my Sheaffer Legacy--it is a little battered on the outside but writes like a dream--one of the last of the great Sheaffer inlaid nibs. It is time to use what we have!

Yes, use them while you still can and they still work. I have noticed that things in motion stay in motion. It is why I use my automobile A/C year round. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

On 4/14/2021 at 10:41 AM, Mike B said:

I have a Wing Sung 601 and it is a nice writer. But I am not certain where outside China you can get a gold-nibbed version. Luckily for me, I like the F-XF line width of the steel nib. The replacement filler unit is available for under C$5 if anything ever goes wrong. I don't know about the cap weight of a silver-gold combination, but it would certainly be heavier than the brushed steel on mine (which is lighter than the cap of the new 51).

I also have the Jin Hao 85 you discuss in your next post, and find it is also a very nice writer with its F-XF steel nib. The 85's cap is not as heavy as that of the new model 51 (possibly an advantage for those who post, but I would not know). In overall length the pen and cap is a few mm larger than the 51 (which is in turn a few mm longer than the Wing Sung 601).

I have found that (with Montblanc or Pelikan inks) the new 51 writes, for me, a little smoother than either of these very good Chinese pens.

And they are a lot less expensive.

Thank you for the pictures of the upscale 601!

I heard that gold nibs can be bought in Aliexpress, However, maybe I should ask more about this question with the manufacturer.

And I can tell you the weight of its silver cap is 10 g. Heavier than the stainless steel cap.

I'm glad to know there's also 601 lover outside China🥰

17 hours ago, adair said:

Yes, I love sheaffer legacy too!

I heard that the new legacy is going to be produced. But sheaffer now meeting some economic problems.

17 hours ago, adair said:

That's why I love Chinese gold nib pens, It writes well and  the price is much more lower. And I can use them  everywhere in the wild, in the workplace,etc.

For anyone who might be interested, Pendemonium posted this pen a few minutes ago. Might go well in your 51 collection.

PK2716 Parker 51 Demonstrator Fountain Pen, date coded 1942

http://www.pendemonium.com

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

21 hours ago, Mike B said:

Adair: It looks like the latest database update deleted your last message and my reply.

So, in point form:

1 I can't help you regarding the Sonnet as I have never owned one - the style doesn't appeal to me.

2 You might want to take a look at the new Sheaffer Icon -- lower cost than the new 51, looks like a partial hood, and sort of snazzy for a Sheaffer.

3 The Parker info websites do mention the burping issue. My experience with the "51" vac-fill model (sort of similar to the 601) was that when the ink volume gets low, the warmth of your hand after a while can warm up the air in the barrel, forcing it to "burp" out and maybe leaving a blob of ink on the paper.

Hope this helps!

Yes, it's the right way to fill a 601.

Wingsung is going to made a snorkel pen now. I hope they can succeed.