...just introducing myself

Geslina

I am fairly new to fountain pens, though I’ve used dip pens with India inks in the past for drawing.  Mostly I love nice fine tip gel pens, like Zebra Sarasa and Uniball Signo or Uniball 307, which I buy from JetPens.  About me, I’m an artist, I love gardening, tropical plants, and animals of all kinds. I have 2 cats, a dog, and a Blue Fronted Amazon parrot. I love to read, especially classic ghost stories.

I work in the medical field, and last spring, when this whole Covid nightmare started, I accidentally came upon a YouTube video - AdventureDenali - who posts mostly about fountain pens. She was sitting on her bed, in her pyjamas, playing a ukulele, a ferret running around at her feet. My first feeling was extreme envy...why didn’t I choose a career where I could be quarantined just like everyone else?? I watched more of AD’s videos, and was intrigued by all her fountain pens. It took a while of researching, and some advice from different pen people, before I decided on a TWSBI Diamond Mini, which I thought was way too much money at first....the Twsbi was followed by a Kaweco Sport, a Pilot Prera, and a few Pilot Kakunos.  I didn’t feel too guilty, as they are all lower priced pens.  The Prera fine nib is probably my favorite as of right now.

I was excited to find there was a small pen event by a local seller near me few weeks ago (the January pen show in the closest city had been cancelled) and I was dying to see the more pricey pens in person, and hold them in my hot little hands.  I got a good look at all the pens, but only bought some ink and some paper. The pen I almost bought was a Pilot Decimo, but because of the price, I wanted to consider it for a little longer, and when I decided to get it, found it for almost $20 less than it was from the seller at the event. I finally ordered one and it’s on it’s way to me. I got an EF, now I’m wondering if I should have bought the fine...I’m learning that EF nibs limit the inks you can use, but I can always buy a fine nib later and switch them out.  

I am also considering a Platinum 3776 in UEF, a Pelikan M200, and a smaller size Franklin-Christoph. I prefer EF to F nibs.

Looking forward to learning more about fountain pens, paper, and ink here, and having a place to come to if I have any questions!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geslina

• PAKMAN

• OCArt

• Pale.Ink.Tom

Hello and welcome :) 

Everyone working in the field of medicine right now has my hugest respect and admiration - not to mention thanks.

Welcome to this group!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Wonderful Intro Geslina. Thank you and welcome. Any reason to pick up a fountain pen is a good one don't you think?

I seem to feel better when they are around!🥰

Cheers, G

πTom

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hi and welcome!

I am relatively new to FP and I also love watching AdventureDenali. I love my Pilots with passion, I have two Preras and two 78G+ (red and blue, and an olive green on the way to me) I haven't gotten any really expensive pens yet. My salary does not allow me to, but I have my eyes in a Pilot Custom 74 in SF. 

I can´t imagine how difficult it must be working in medicine right now. Hopefully your pens are bringing you some joy. Check out PenBBs, I just gotten my first one and it's just lovely.

I also love reading (work in a Library)

Regards from the UK

Tina

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo....my Pilot Decimo arrived.  Fine Nib.  I’m more than a little underwhelmed.  It has inconsistent lines....practically non-existent  on upstrokes.  I find this EXTREMELY annoying.  I’m using the blue Pilot ink cartridge that came with the pen....could that be the problem?  When I got my Kaweco Sport, it wrote horribly with the included cartridge.  I switched to a more lubricated ink and now it writes fine.

I can see myself not using this pen, which is a shame for what it cost.  I was expecting so much more.  The nib just doesn’t have that elegant feeling that the Sailor Pro Gear nib has.  I could live with that if it wrote nicely.  I’m really disappointed.

Welcome!  Glad you are with us!

:W2FPN:

If you choose the 3776 you will very likely love it.   Go a fine nib if you want and extra fine and a medium if you want a little broader fine.  Japanese nibs are typically finer in than they are marked.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

9 hours ago, Bisquitlips said:

Welcome!  Glad you are with us!

:W2FPN:

If you choose the 3776 you will very likely love it.   Go a fine nib if you want and extra fine and a medium if you want a little broader fine.  Japanese nibs are typically finer in than they are marked.

Oooooh, I really love the 3776 “Nice” - the Lavande or the Lilas. Over $200 - though you can get a plain black one on Amazon for under $130.  I was planning on getting the ultra EF, but the more I use my pens, the less I’m liking the really fine nibs.