• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• Pointyscratchy

• Eoghan2009

• arcfide

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think there is such a thing as a book that covers basics and has a choice of different scripts that I would consider worth recommending. Each script is often associated with a different set of basics that you would want to use. You wouldn't approach writing Italic with the same set of basics as you would writing American Cursive or British Library hand or any number of others. 

If you want a thorough treatment of American Cursive in a modern style but with an emphasis on the traditional forms, with the ability to scale both to very simple scripts as well as fancy flourishes, then I highly recommend Michael Sull's book, The Art of Cursive Penmanship. 

If you want a good adult oriented Italic penmanship book with some pathways into calligraphy, then check out Write Now by Getty-Dubay. If you want a more angular, movement-based Italic primer, then briem.net has an excellent set of resources. 

If you want to go old school, you can go to the IAMPETH website and find a number of traditional textbooks on penmanship from Zaner-bloser, Palmer, and Spencer. Each of them is worth a study. 

If you want really really old school, then read the translation of Arrighi's original work on Chancery hand, found on Briem's website. 

If you want something that is exceptionally simple, a little off the beaten path, but still a little American in style, then you might check out the Smithhand workbooks. It's a very different style, but it has its charm, and you would be able to easily learn it quickly, as it is very simple and direct, and the movement-based approach is effective. 

If you'd like an American style cursive but feel that the traditional methods are a little too laborious, and you want something more simplified and easy to learn, then I can recommend the New American Cursive curriculum, which has a Teach yourself Cursive book for adults that is easy to go through and includes a wide range of flexible options for you to go through. 

Browsing I came across the statement that a particular handwriting used 8 strokes which once mastered were all that was needed?  Where would I come across that?

I have over the years altered one letter at a time and found it took about a fortnight for my brain to accept the new form.  What is the experience of others?  Should you alter one letter at a time or go for the whole alphabet?

Do you choose a pretty script and work towards that?

There are a number of "movement/stroke-based" curricula, and the most famous with the 8 (then down to 7) stroke system would be American Spencerian. That being said, while the strokes are simple, and the concept is simple, mastery of good Spencerian is anything but simple. You can read the original books on IAMPETH or buy new print versions with the workbooks as well. Mastering a good Spencerian hand takes a good deal of effort, but the results are beautiful. 

There are other movement-based programs that are even simpler than the 8 strokes. Briem Italic bases its system on the zigzag, whereon you add "recognition points" that give you the upward and downward bowls. Add to this the oval, which is proportioned based on the zigzag, and you have everything to make the letterforms. That's really a single movement pattern that is slightly extended to form the whole system. 

Smithhand utilizes 4 strokes, I think, and by focusing on skinny, tall letters with proper transitions, you have the entire structure. 

Unlike Spencerian, both Briem and Smithhand are extremely simple to learn. On the other hand, getting both to the same degree of calligraphic beauty as Spencerian are also probably the work of a lifetime. :)

Palmer is based off of a single biomechanic of the combined arm movement and appropriate posture at the desk, which allows you to drive the writing arm to form all of the monoline letterforms with speed and grace. However, this mechanic is not natural for most people, though it is ergonomic, and so it requires a good deal of training to get your body to move in the appropriate manner. 

New American Cursive takes a simplified bowl and round character formation and simplifies the connection and formation of letters down to 3 to enable 1st graders to learn Cursive first. They also have a program for adults that walks you through much the same, but without the cute-ness designed for younger students. 

• 1 month later...

There's a Teach Yourself book called Improve Your Handwriting by Rosemary Sassoon which uses a training model based on italic. The main failing of the book is it's lack of practise material. The style is easy to learn, but I always find that my 'natural' handwriting breaks through when I write in my journal, probably because of the book's lack of exercises.

'The Calligrapher's Bible' by David Harris covers 100 different styles. This would perhaps enable you to choose one closely approximating the type of handwriting you want. 'A Dummies Guide To Calligraphy' is an alternative to investigate.

When learning a new style of handwriting, it is helpful to choose one style and practice it until some mastery has been achieved before attempting to learn another style.

Mixing styles in your handwriting won't land you in prison, but it is generally ugly.

So, I would recommend you select a style to learn first and then seek instructional materials for that style.

If your aim is a legible hand that is relatively easy to learn, the Getty-Dubay books would be a good choice. If you want to go "fancy," you should still start with a basic script, because learning basic letter forms is, well, basic.

David

read the above replies with interest-thankyou (I am not the op but interested in the answer.I have mr sells book.I have rosemary sassoons book too, and the dummies book.

My handwriting has improved but it is still not great.Some letters I don't like.b,d and f for instance.But I'm also not happy with s and t.

Would it be possible for a thread where there are example lowercase (I think the word is minuscule) alphabets and joins?

7 hours ago, Pointyscratchy said:

read the above replies with interest-thankyou (I am not the op but interested in the answer.I have mr sells book.I have rosemary sassoons book too, and the dummies book.

My handwriting has improved but it is still not great.Some letters I don't like.b,d and f for instance.But I'm also not happy with s and t.

Would it be possible for a thread where there are example lowercase (I think the word is minuscule) alphabets and joins?

What style of script are you practicing? If you are using Michael Sull's book, I assume it has plenty of exemplars for American Cursive. If you are interested in learning italic handwriting, let me know. I can recommend and/or post exemplars.

David

21 hours ago, dms525 said:

What style of script are you practicing? If you are using Michael Sull's book, I assume it has plenty of exemplars for American Cursive. If you are interested in learning italic handwriting, let me know. I can recommend and/or post exemplars.

David

yes I am interested in italic please recommend /post exemplars.I have a few problem letters I don't like so would wish to have more options thank you.Sometimes not joining is the answer.

1 hour ago, Pointyscratchy said:

yes I am interested in italic please recommend /post exemplars.I have a few problem letters I don't like so would wish to have more options thank you.Sometimes not joining is the answer.

Great! I'm happy to help.

Let's start's start with basic letter forms and ductus (the direction and number of strokes needed to make a letter). These are from Jaki Svaren who was a student of Lloyd Reynolds, a professional calligrapher and teacher.  I will post exemplars of "safe" joining separately. 

1294904516_JakiSvarenletters001.thumb.jpg.17135699e6ce8db283e818c333f56ee4.jpg

475587916_JakiSvarenletters002.thumb.jpg.321040d44304aca28b80a7a07fbec934.jpg

917797028_JakiSvarenletters003.thumb.jpg.5f0f4fe79776bbe3d30348f366de12f7.jpg

Enjoy!

David

Another exemplar of italic handwriting from Alfred Fairbank, the founder of the Society for Italic Handwriting, which still exists and of which I am a member.

888443707_FairbankSIHExemplar.jpg.ea1658ae9c59916f0be7f290abb072bb.jpg

David

Lloyd Reynolds on safe joins ...

1916240422_LJRSafeJoins.thumb.jpg.52fe73c3546f95f0881905600f3552e9.jpg

I think this should give you enough to work on for now.

David

Thanks so much.This is a lot to work on and it is really helpful.I'm sure lots of others will appreciate this too so thanks David (my names Clive/pointyscratchy).In the various books the alphabets are not as well explained as above.The joins and the not to joins are interesting too.I think that this could improve my hand a lot.-obviously with some work.

Maybe your posts or similar (above) should have been a sticky on a handwriting forum anyway.The alphabets are the most important part.IMO.

Thanks again Clive

2 hours ago, Pointyscratchy said:

Thanks so much.This is a lot to work on and it is really helpful.I'm sure lots of others will appreciate this too so thanks David (my names Clive/pointyscratchy).In the various books the alphabets are not as well explained as above.The joins and the not to joins are interesting too.I think that this could improve my hand a lot.-obviously with some work.

Maybe your posts or similar (above) should have been a sticky on a handwriting forum anyway.The alphabets are the most important part.IMO.

Thanks again Clive

My pleasure, Clive.

Regards,

David

• 3 weeks later...

Lloyds J. Reynolds has a series of videos available on youtube. The audio quality isn't too good, but the content is excellent.  I'm up to video 7, here is the link to the first video:

I'll see if the book is available. Yes, it's on Amazon uk, but the cost has increase since I bought it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Italic-Calligraphy-Handwriting-Exercises-Text/dp/0800842847/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Italic+Calligraphy+and+Handwriting+Lloyd+J+Reynolds&qid=1616694317&s=books&sr=1-2