EFNIR: Kaweco Smokey Grey

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Kaweco Smokey Grey

This is review #76 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: I should only review blacks and neutral greys, then I won't ever have to try color correction! :D The zoom *might* be slightly too cool - hard to say.  If it looks warm, cool, or as if it has any color, that's the image, not real life.  Cleaning was super fast and easy.  (The evening was also remarkably helicopter free!)

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.KawecoSmokeyGrey.jpg.b4bffdd28a2d61ac64abd84d4de118d9.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.KawecoSmokeyGreyS.jpg.01bfd7c30903326bb5afb4b4e8650cf5.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.KawecoSmokeyGreyZ.jpg.a3b2e665ee73f0f0d2e9eeb570094778.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.KawecoSmokeyGreyAP.jpg.d9a37b92330463906cc89451e364943a.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• lapis

• Sailor Kenshin

• yazeh

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job, Liz. Greys/Grays aren't my thing. But it looks appealing enough to the eye :)

No helicopters only the "pen-writer" sound.... 

Thank you Liz :)

This is one I like - I have just a few inks in cartridge form (mainly for my Kaweco sports who have such tiny converters that they run out of ink very quickly) and this is one I use regularly. 

I love grey inks, and this is one I'd buy a bottle of (though I'd probably add a little bit of flow aid).

9 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great job, Liz. Greys/Grays aren't my thing. But it looks appealing enough to the eye :)

No helicopters only the "pen-writer" sound.... 

Thanks!  I think this grey has convinced me not to buy Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun! :yikes:  Not that I'm going to buy this one, either - I want a blue-leaning grey.  But it's convinced me Fuyu-Syogun is too pale.  So now I need to find a darker Fuyu-Syogun... :rolleyes:

And yeah, one night gloriously free of helicopters!  Maybe they had a meeting, or something...

2 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you Liz :)

This is one I like - I have just a few inks in cartridge form (mainly for my Kaweco sports who have such tiny converters that they run out of ink very quickly) and this is one I use regularly. 

I love grey inks, and this is one I'd buy a bottle of (though I'd probably add a little bit of flow aid).

You're welcome!  It's close for me, but I'd rather have one a little to the blue side, and I'm only going to buy (a full bottle of) one grey!

Exactly the gray I had been looking for, a year or so ago.  Right in between the two Iros!  Thanks for another great review.  😀

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

13 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Exactly the gray I had been looking for, a year or so ago.  Right in between the two Iros!  Thanks for another great review.  😀

:) You're welcome!  Did you find your grey?  Or does this mean you've now found your gray?  Or did you forget about graey? :D

The green touch reminds me a bit of Diamine's Graphite.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

21 minutes ago, lapis said:

The green touch reminds me a bit of Diamine's Graphite.

IMO, any green you see is on your computer, in my image, or in some other place between reality and when it hits your eyes. :)  There's no green in this - it's truly a neutral grey.

Uhuhh... okay, thanks . I guess I gotta take a closer look at this. Will do so tomorrow if I find time. Got both and not yet ever thought of comparing these two...

1 hour ago, lapis said:

Uhuhh... okay, thanks . I guess I gotta take a closer look at this. Will do so tomorrow if I find time. Got both and not yet ever thought of comparing these two...

I'll be curious to hear your findings - eyes are unique and what I see when I look at a color will not be exactly the same as what someone else does - something I learned after being annoyed at how many people describe Yama Dori as leaning blue...

This is one Kaweco ink that I find appealing. The others I've tried so far were not appealing to me, so they are only used in mixes that at least look a bit more interesting. This grey though is just fine the way it is. Maybe nothing special, but hey... it's a grey 😉

26 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

This is one Kaweco ink that I find appealing. The others I've tried so far were not appealing to me, so they are only used in mixes that at least look a bit more interesting. This grey though is just fine the way it is. Maybe nothing special, but hey... it's a grey 😉

:)  There's something appealing about grey inks (though I can't figure out why, and wouldn't have guessed it until I tried my first one).

12 minutes ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

I prefer grey inks on more off-white papers. I find them a bit annoying on Rhodia pads.

I agree that it looks nicer on off-white, though I don't know why.  Perhaps it's annoying on Rhodia pads because it's the same color as the dots! :)  Or because it looks like a pencil dropped by... :D

On 2/2/2021 at 2:32 PM, LizEF said:

:) You're welcome!  Did you find your grey?  Or does this mean you've now found your gray?  Or did you forget about graey? :D

Bought too many, most were wrong, ended up mixing a few, and they are still not quite the neutral gray I wanted!  

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

51 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Bought too many, most were wrong, ended up mixing a few, and they are still not quite the neutral gray I wanted!  

:lol: Inks are often uncooperative!

22 hours ago, LizEF said:

I'll be curious to hear your findings - eyes are unique and what I see when I look at a color will not be exactly the same as what someone else does - something I learned after being annoyed at how many people describe Yama Dori as leaning blue...

Liz, in case you're still listening....

... Here we go. You're right... it has to be my screen and/or my eyes. These two inks look completely different (from each other). Here's a hint on Rhodia 80 g/m2 (21.3 lb) paper using a Pelikano with an M-nib (for the first 4 lines) followed by 2 lines using an Herbin glass dip pen. Sorry for the blue in the "Dip Pen" of the Kaweco. That must be a left-over from a previous dip.

large.328755983_smokeygreyandGraphite.jpg.985c16a2a4a7be3fb80241e932fffbea.jpg

Graphite is (and always was) a tick greenish, as also noted by other members in the past. As you say, smokey grey is practically a neutral grey. I see that too, now -- and also as a light to medium-light grey -- not having used it for a long time, now; whereas Graphite is much darker... let's say almost a blackish grey. To go all the way, I'd suggest that smokey grey has even a quarter to a half a touch of pink in it, at least in real life on real paper. In any case no green.

FWIW, as for the sake of comparison, smokey grey has a dry to medium flow while Graphite is much wetter and also better lubed. At the same time, this Diamine is much more saturated (no, not just darker) than the Kaweco.

Finally my small subjectivism: actually I'm not all that hot about this grey because it's IMO, for me, personally speaking, that is, too neutral. I love any other grey ink with more than "just grey" in it. E.g. Old Man Winter!

Dip Stick