Jinhao 100 Centennial

WJM

Interesting topic, thank you WJM I agree to comments in your excursus on the Duofold Centennial copies and look-alikes.

I tend to like these pens a lot, as I find the ergonomic of the Centennial, one of the best out there (kudos to Parker, of course), and I do own some of the real Centennials (including the Jasper red, great pen!)

Among the copies I still like the 316 a lot, despite the balance issue and weight (in use you do get accustomed to it after a while), it's quality seems to be unsurpassed.

The Kaigelu nib is not bad, and the fact that if you manage to pull out the nib-feed-collar a Bock nib-feed-collar will fit in the section just with slight pressure is an interesting plus.

large.431264272_Kaigelu316tigereye.jpg.069ee4f79a2c69641bc962761a8bbbcd.jpg

I own a couple of Moonman M600s, quality of the nibs is debatable, but the F nibs they come with are not to my liking. On the other hand the M600s seems to be an interesting nib holder for other nibs, I've made some tests and more than one very decent nib fits well.
My cracked blue takes an Omas nib rather well (it's not always easy to find a firm nib holder, as, although being #6 nibs, Omas Paragon size nibs are shorter  - 3.2 cm instead of typical 3.5cm).

large.1336130045_MoonmanM600sckackedbluewithOmasBnib.jpg.eb35ea4d28bc8f48ffc25264e13be0bc.jpg

I now have a Jinhao 100 coming, and will see what that one copes with some nib swapping :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raivtash

• OCArt

• Helen350

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, OCArt said:

Looks nice, where do you get the clips from?

7 hours ago, Jorge said:

Great result! Not just the clip but also the nib! Would you kindly share where do you source them from?

I didn’t source the clips separately. I got the pens with these clips from Taobao. The nib is a long shot... a classical pens nib unit I got long time ago from the board.

6 hours ago, sansenri said:

Interesting topic, thank you WJM I agree to comments in your excursus on the Duofold Centennial copies and look-alikes.

I tend to like these pens a lot, as I find the ergonomic of the Centennial, one of the best out there (kudos to Parker, of course), and I do own some of the real Centennials (including the Jasper red, great pen!)

Among the copies I still like the 316 a lot, despite the balance issue and weight (in use you do get accustomed to it after a while), it's quality seems to be unsurpassed.

The Kaigelu nib is not bad, and the fact that if you manage to pull out the nib-feed-collar a Bock nib-feed-collar will fit in the section just with slight pressure is an interesting plus.

large.431264272_Kaigelu316tigereye.jpg.069ee4f79a2c69641bc962761a8bbbcd.jpg

I own a couple of Moonman M600s, quality of the nibs is debatable, but the F nibs they come with are not to my liking. On the other hand the M600s seems to be an interesting nib holder for other nibs, I've made some tests and more than one very decent nib fits well.
My cracked blue takes an Omas nib rather well (it's not always easy to find a firm nib holder, as, although being #6 nibs, Omas Paragon size nibs are shorter  - 3.2 cm instead of typical 3.5cm).

large.1336130045_MoonmanM600sckackedbluewithOmasBnib.jpg.eb35ea4d28bc8f48ffc25264e13be0bc.jpg

I now have a Jinhao 100 coming, and will see what that one copes with some nib swapping :)

The nibs from the modern grand paragons are true #6. The older paragons are smaller. Looks great in the cracked ice. 
I like my 316 as well and I think the acrylic on 316 is better than others. In addition to weight problem, my 316s tend to dry out faster than the 100s. 

On 2/21/2021 at 6:29 PM, raivtash said:

The nibs from the modern grand paragons are true #6. The older paragons are smaller. Looks great in the cracked ice. 
I like my 316 as well and I think the acrylic on 316 is better than others. In addition to weight problem, my 316s tend to dry out faster than the 100s. 

I have not noticed the drying out issue on mine. Actually I had the tiger eye version in use this week and went over the whole converter of ink without ever needing to prime it.

With the Bock nib you do feel quite a difference vs the original Kaigelu nib. The only drawback is you need an extra converter, the original Kaigelu converter will not fit the Bock collar, luckily I always have a few spare standard converters lying around...

Nice pen!! and nice review.

I love JINHAO and I have some good selection of them. I don't have this pen but I like to add this pen Monday. 

Most of my pens Have customised nibs.  So it is not a sin to do so.  

On 2/20/2021 at 1:12 PM, raivtash said:

Yes. A close up of my favorite Franken.

E7FD92DE-4D65-4F32-814C-05C24ADCFB65.jpeg

This one is the favorite of the six 100s that I have.  

• 4 weeks later...

Just to confirm, the Koi looks very nice and it does take other nibs. Again an Omas nib in mine, it's a B nib and flow with the Koi is just great!

I've refilled this pen approx 5 times in the past 2 weeks!

Some slight cross threading with the cap, but still acceptable.

large.520467879_P1200202-3JinhaoCentennialKoi.jpg.abe5387a347f739ed16381bb5918b62f.jpg

Love the looks of that Omas B-nib!  My Koi is currently inked with Akkerman

Scharlaken van Jan Steen (Grand Master red).   Did you have to replace the

nib unit, or just the nib?

They ae now making the Jinhao 100 in solid black. The black cap should look great on the Jinhao "big red!"

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

OCArt, have you ordered one yet???  Rare for me to purchase a black pen, but I

may consider adding one to my Jinhao 100 collection.

Hi Helen, Yes I ordered it a few days ago. Probably coming by boat so it may take a while to arrive.

26 minutes ago, Helen350 said:

OCArt, have you ordered one yet???  Rare for me to purchase a black pen, but I

may consider adding one to my Jinhao 100 collection.

35 minutes ago, Helen350 said:

Love the looks of that Omas B-nib!  My Koi is currently inked with Akkerman

Scharlaken van Jan Steen (Grand Master red).   Did you have to replace the

nib unit, or just the nib?

Thanks, Helen.

I just pulled nib and feed out, they come out quite easily, I then replaced the nib with the Omas and put it back in with the original Jinhao feed.

It works well despite the Omas nib is slightly shorter than the Jinhao (Omas nibs were 3.2 mm although size 6 diameter, while Jinhao nibs are 3.5 mm long).

OCArt, I ordered a TWSBI Diamond 580 from Texas on the 10th, and it has not

arrived to my home yet.  It just left Texas on the 22th.  Hopefully it will get here

by next Monday[-Tuesday.  Real slow boat from Texas to Tenn.

My black Jinhao 100 arrived today-- much sooner than I expected. It looks very handsome in black but the caps can also be switched to make a "poor man's Hemmingway!"

Although the black cap has gold trim and the "big red" Jinhao has a silver end ring it is not too apparent. There is a more pastel orange Jinhao with gold trim but I like this one better.

Jinhao_Hemmingway.jpeg.ae9a7656f589910ff7fd8c7fda4e4923.jpeg

Edited by OCArt
added info on trim color

OCArt, that Centennial combination  looks attractive!!!👀  How does the

dark orange cap look with the black pen barrel??

17 hours ago, Helen350 said:

OCArt, that Centennial combination  looks attractive!!!👀  How does the

dark orange cap look with the black pen barrel??

Hi Helen, here you go! Dave

IMG_1234.jpeg.85ce5a1d740461416358c369d8b2c6d9.jpeg

1 hour ago, OCArt said:

Hi Helen, here you go! Dave

IMG_1234.jpeg.85ce5a1d740461416358c369d8b2c6d9.jpeg

It looks like we have not only the same pens but also the same ipad case :_)

On 3/23/2021 at 2:02 PM, sansenri said:

Just to confirm, the Koi looks very nice and it does take other nibs. Again an Omas nib in mine, it's a B nib and flow with the Koi is just great!

I've refilled this pen approx 5 times in the past 2 weeks!

Some slight cross threading with the cap, but still acceptable.

large.520467879_P1200202-3JinhaoCentennialKoi.jpg.abe5387a347f739ed16381bb5918b62f.jpg

Just got my koi as well. Just curious how did you attach the omas nib. Omas nib is shorter than #6. It is always very loose on my jinhao 100.