Pilot Custom 845 Urushi 

James-B

5 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

From my experience with online ordering (mostly US), is that money is charged on payment method given by the buyer immediately. If item is not in stock, then the seller would issue a message stating this at a later date.

I noticed this trend more frequently with big stores. Like Macys, Best Buy, Nordstroms etc. Maybe mom and pop stores are different. 

I think OP may be stretching the truth, or buys from a particular place whose ordering service is not the norm.

Also here are a few facts - Two federal laws — the Mail, Internet or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule and the Fair Credit Billing Act — offer protections against this.  Especially credit cards which is what I will use going forward. Many credit card issuers have policies against sellers charging a credit card account before shipment. If you think a seller charged your account too soon, report it to the credit card issuer. You may withhold payment on the disputed amount (and related charges) during the investigation. Also it's curious that the time to dispute a credit card charge is 60 days and this delivery is expected to be 63 days - Coincidence ? I doubt it. Caveat emptor buyer beware. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James-B

• nibtip

• TitoThePencilPimp

• Linger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

James

You have to understand that there are many countries that do not do business or run their e-commerce the way Americans do it. If you choose to purchase from Japan, at least try and understand how e-commerce works there so that you're not using American expectations in Japan and get frustrated in the process. After all you yourself started the thread by asking why is the pen so inflated in price in the US. More on that later. 

In Japan, many stores are smaller and they often don't hold a lot of stock. This is especially so for high end pens like the 845. About the only place I know that has a lot more stock than most is either Maruzen or Itoya. If you're lucky and happen to order when they have the item in stock, they will immediately package it up and send it over. If they don't have the item in stock, they will submit the order to either the distributor or directly from Pilot. The thing about the 845 is that there is a level of hand craft in the pen so there have been long periods in the past when the pen would not be available and the store would put in your order with an expectation there will be wait time. In Japan I assume that when someone places an order, there is an unwritten commitment to say "I want the pen, pay for it, and then wait for the order to arrive." That's what I understand based on the fact that I shop in Japan very frequently. Others who live there can refute or substantiate this service expectation. 

Now of course if you purchased from a store like Kingdom Note where their website is up to date with stock information, you'd not be able to purchase the pen if there is no stock. But that's not the way a lot of other smaller shops e-commerce sites are set up. You can always order, but there is no transparency whether there is stock. So there. Hopefully you have a clearer picture of what's happening. You have the prerogative of either being patient, knowing you paid almost half of what the US distributor would charge, or if you want the pen right away, there is always the choice of paying full US retail. 

As to actual pricing. The 845 full retail in Japan is 50000 yen. If you purchase it at a retail store like Maruzen or Itoya, you get great service and even a little nib tuning. However most e-commerce sites do offer some discounts, some up to 20%. If you catch one of the Kingdom Notes weekend offers, the pen can go as low as 35000 yen. So yes, the US distributors are factoring in too much for aftercare service, transportation and distribution markup.

4 hours ago, gerigo said:

James

You have to understand that there are many countries that do not do business or run their e-commerce the way Americans do it. If you choose to purchase from Japan, at least try and understand how e-commerce works there so that you're not using American expectations in Japan and get frustrated in the process. After all you yourself started the thread by asking why is the pen so inflated in price in the US. More on that later. 

In Japan, many stores are smaller and they often don't hold a lot of stock. This is especially so for high end pens like the 845. About the only place I know that has a lot more stock than most is either Maruzen or Itoya. If you're lucky and happen to order when they have the item in stock, they will immediately package it up and send it over. If they don't have the item in stock, they will submit the order to either the distributor or directly from Pilot. The thing about the 845 is that there is a level of hand craft in the pen so there have been long periods in the past when the pen would not be available and the store would put in your order with an expectation there will be wait time. In Japan I assume that when someone places an order, there is an unwritten commitment to say "I want the pen, pay for it, and then wait for the order to arrive." That's what I understand based on the fact that I shop in Japan very frequently. Others who live there can refute or substantiate this service expectation. 

Now of course if you purchased from a store like Kingdom Note where their website is up to date with stock information, you'd not be able to purchase the pen if there is no stock. But that's not the way a lot of other smaller shops e-commerce sites are set up. You can always order, but there is no transparency whether there is stock. So there. Hopefully you have a clearer picture of what's happening. You have the prerogative of either being patient, knowing you paid almost half of what the US distributor would charge, or if you want the pen right away, there is always the choice of paying full US retail. 

As to actual pricing. The 845 full retail in Japan is 50000 yen. If you purchase it at a retail store like Maruzen or Itoya, you get great service and even a little nib tuning. However most e-commerce sites do offer some discounts, some up to 20%. If you catch one of the Kingdom Notes weekend offers, the pen can go as low as 35000 yen. So yes, the US distributors are factoring in too much for aftercare service, transportation and distribution markup.

Thank you this is very helpful. You are correct that the price is half but I have lost faith in this seller and fear it will never arrive at all. I will research the stores you mention and also reached out to Tokyo Quill. I don't mind waiting a month as long as I trust the seller. I apologise is I came across like an ugly american. it was just annoying to know that they have my money and I have nothing but a vague promise which I honestly don't believe they will deliver on. Again thanks for your message. 

I can vouch for Tokyo Quill. Bought three pens from them. In every case Yas confirmed upfront if Pilot had the pen in stock and how long it would take for him to receive it in store. With my last order (Namiki Nippon Art Origami-Rabbit) he transparently informed me that Pilot had no stock and that delivery would take three months. I found the pen elsewhere, but would have gladly waited to grant him the business.

This being said, I have also waited, after paying the purchase price up front in full, for (many) months with Sailor and Namiki pens ordering through NL dealers.

Thank you to all that took the time to reply and educate me on this hobby and purchasing internatinoally.

Perhaps I am being too hard on them. The most unfortunate thing that could happen now is that I will own two Pilot Custom 845 Urushi Vermillion fountain pens. This hobby is crazy. I started with one pen only 3 and a half months ago and now already own the following:

Pelikan Souveran M1000 Fountain Pen Black EF - extra fine
Pelikan Souveran M800 Fountain Pen Black / Blue F – fine
Pilot Custom 823 Fountain Pen in Amber with Gold Trim - 14K Gold – Medium
Monteverde Limited Edition Innova Fountain Pen - Rose Gold-Carbon Medium
LAMY Safari Fountain Pen - Mango (Special Edition) – Medium
TWSBI Fountain Pen - Diamond 580 - Smoke Rose Gold II (Special Edition)
TWSBI Fountain Pen – VAV700R Iris Special Edition M NIb and a Stub 1.1 Nib
Noodler's Ahab Flex Fountain Pen - Cardinal Darkness
Montblanc - 145 Meisterstück Classique Fountain Pen – Medium
Montblanc Starwalker Fineliner Black 105656

Pilot 845 on Order M Nib

I think its time to slow down and take a break. Its just so damn addictive.

So far the Pelikan M1000 and the Pilot Custom 823 are my favorites. 

Clearly its time to give my Bank account a break LOL

8 minutes ago, James-B said:

Thank you to all that took the time to reply and educate me on this hobby and purchasing internatinoally.

I think its time to slow down and take a break. Its just so damn addictive.

Yes, it can definitely be quite addictive.  And while there is no cure, there are some very appealing treatments if one wants to feed their addiction.  :happy:

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

2 hours ago, Doug1426 said:

Yes, it can definitely be quite addictive.  And while there is no cure, there are some very appealing treatments if one wants to feed their addiction.  :happy:

So true. The only brand I am not very interested in is the Visconti Homosapiens. I do like the material they are made out of and the lava one with red trim looks very cool but I think they are a little overpriced for what they are. What do those of you that have one think about them ?

8 minutes ago, James-B said:

So true. The only brand I am not very interested in is the Visconti Homosapiens. I do like the material they are made out of and the lava one with red trim looks very cool but I think they are a little overpriced for what they are. What do those of you that have one think about them ?

I only own 1 Visconti and its the Bronze Age one from the series you like. I got it extremely below retail. It was more like trade or sale bait at the time, but I decided to keep it. Its a cool pen, but yes, I would say they are over priced. I would much rather get a SE Pelikan for the price the Homosapiens go for, Maybe even an Aurora.

If you don't own a Sailor, then maybe try a Sailor as your next pen. Much different than Pilot. 

You can do a simple 1911 14k, 1911 21k, King Of Pen (resin), go all the way and get a Ebonite KOP. 

I own the KOP ebonite, but I still use 1911 and Koshu more... 

21 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

I only own 1 Visconti and its the Bronze Age one from the series you like. I got it extremely below retail. It was more like trade or sale bait at the time, but I decided to keep it. Its a cool pen, but yes, I would say they are over priced. I would much rather get a SE Pelikan for the price the Homosapiens go for, Maybe even an Aurora.

If you don't own a Sailor, then maybe try a Sailor as your next pen. Much different than Pilot. 

You can do a simple 1911 14k, 1911 21k, King Of Pen (resin), go all the way and get a Ebonite KOP. 

I own the KOP ebonite, but I still use 1911 and Koshu more... 

How do you like your Sailors ?

1 hour ago, James-B said:

How do you like your Sailors ?

My favorite are Pelikans. Followed by Sailors. Then Pilot. The writing experience of a Sailor nib, is very unique which differs from that of Pelikan and Pilot. Nice smooth nibs, with a bit of feedback ( this does not mean they are scratchy). Sailor nibs can be nail like, so don't expect a flexible nib. Although the 21k rhodium plated nibs and the nibs on KOP are a bit softer, they are still nails.

For my writing needs (mathematics). Sailor offers a nice wet and consistent line. Perfect for those using fountain pens to do math, physics, engineering, biology. Since the feedback allows for ease of drawing diagrams, or lettering/block writing. 

Moreover, they have high quality control. I say that Pilot and Sailor are equal in these regards. With Pilot customer service being a lot better. I never had to send any pen from these companies for an exchange. Except for replacement parts or cosmetic issues of vintage pens (user induced, mostly eBay purchases). Pilot was more helpful...

Now, the issues I have with Sailor are the following:

1) The price increase on the ink. Less mL per ink bottle. They make wonderful ink and my favorite.

2)I do not care for the SE or LE. Since on the lower price point SE/LE models, Sailor uses colorful resin. Some people call this demonstrator pens. It looks cheap to my eyes, and I do not purchase these models from any pen company (pilot included).

3)I feel that the KOP is overpriced. Yes I own the ebonite kop. Personally, I feel that any pen above the $300 should be a non c/c pen. I know that many nice Japanese pens are c/c. Ie., the Custom you just purchased. Nice pen, but the lack of an internal filling mechanism makes me think twice on any c/c fountain pen purchase. I own both, but the Custom you purchased is a better buy (visually), but I use my Sailor more.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:43 PM, TitoThePencilPimp said:

My favorite are Pelikans. Followed by Sailors. Then Pilot. The writing experience of a Sailor nib, is very unique which differs from that of Pelikan and Pilot. Nice smooth nibs, with a bit of feedback ( this does not mean they are scratchy). Sailor nibs can be nail like, so don't expect a flexible nib. Although the 21k rhodium plated nibs and the nibs on KOP are a bit softer, they are still nails.

For my writing needs (mathematics). Sailor offers a nice wet and consistent line. Perfect for those using fountain pens to do math, physics, engineering, biology. Since the feedback allows for ease of drawing diagrams, or lettering/block writing. 

Moreover, they have high quality control. I say that Pilot and Sailor are equal in these regards. With Pilot customer service being a lot better. I never had to send any pen from these companies for an exchange. Except for replacement parts or cosmetic issues of vintage pens (user induced, mostly eBay purchases). Pilot was more helpful...

Now, the issues I have with Sailor are the following:

1) The price increase on the ink. Less mL per ink bottle. They make wonderful ink and my favorite.

2)I do not care for the SE or LE. Since on the lower price point SE/LE models, Sailor uses colorful resin. Some people call this demonstrator pens. It looks cheap to my eyes, and I do not purchase these models from any pen company (pilot included).

3)I feel that the KOP is overpriced. Yes I own the ebonite kop. Personally, I feel that any pen above the $300 should be a non c/c pen. I know that many nice Japanese pens are c/c. Ie., the Custom you just purchased. Nice pen, but the lack of an internal filling mechanism makes me think twice on any c/c fountain pen purchase. I own both, but the Custom you purchased is a better buy (visually), but I use my Sailor more.

Thanks so much. I agree I don't care for c/c pens either but I wanted to biycthosxone because of the Urushi finish and it will be my first red pen. I am glad to hear that you like sailor. I will look at those next. Thank you 

On 2/5/2021 at 8:08 PM, James-B said:

Thank you this is very helpful. You are correct that the price is half but I have lost faith in this seller and fear it will never arrive at all. I will research the stores you mention and also reached out to Tokyo Quill. I don't mind waiting a month as long as I trust the seller. I apologise is I came across like an ugly american. it was just annoying to know that they have my money and I have nothing but a vague promise which I honestly don't believe they will deliver on. Again thanks for your message. 

Well I am happy to report that PayPal did refund my money. I purchased it from the Japanese Amazon site and it will arrive on February 19th. I will be more careful when I but I'm the future. I don't mind waiting but 63 days was ridiculous in my opinion. I did however learn a valuable lesson. 

> Sailor nibs can be nail like, so don't expect a flexible nib.

Really? Nails?

All my Sailor gold nibs (20 or so) have a certain flex which I don't find in any of my new Pelikan or Pilots (10 or so).

@James-B

Give a ... what people tell you. For every maker you find people who rave about it and you find people who hate it.

The pens from the big-3 in Japan (Sailor, Pilot, Platinum) are all high-quality pens, you cannot predict if you like it or not, you need to try by yourself.

> For my writing needs (mathematics).

I don't understand what different kind of pens mathematics would require. With any pen you can write anything, Physics, Biology, Literature, what ever you want.

> Since on the lower price point SE/LE models, Sailor uses colorful resin. Some people call this demonstrator pens. It looks cheap to my eyes

Strange!

The only disadvantage of such SE/LE pens is that they often carry a higher price tag. Otherwise, if you like it - buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 12:00 AM, James-B said:

Well I am happy to report that PayPal did refund my money. I purchased it from the Japanese Amazon site and it will arrive on February 19th. I will be more careful when I but I'm the future. I don't mind waiting but 63 days was ridiculous in my opinion. I did however learn a valuable lesson. 

So the pen arrived today from Amazon Japan. I am now a huge Pilot fan. My first Pilot Custom 823 wrote so smooth I was blown away. Some people want feedback but I prefer them silky smooth. This new pilot custom 845 vermilion urushi is also super smooth and is my new favorite fountain pen. 20210219_173045.thumb.jpg.cd44d3d839bd8c517e718cc0979cce4b.jpg

20210219_173652.jpg

Also the pen using oxblood red ink is nice and wet. I really love this pen. So glad I made this purchase. Also thanks to the person that recommended Amazon in Japan the shipping was less than 3 days. 

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind postage and shipping are all messed up due to the current panic.  Many sellers in Japan seem to be folks like me, have another job and sell ink and pens as a side gig or for fun.   I have not been able to ship packages overseas except via surface mail for most of 2020 as I am not an actual business and all non commercial packages to the US had to go by sea.  

Also, there is a recent requirement to notify the USPS ahead of time before shipping packages to the States.  Went into affect on Jan. 1st I think.  

Payment from the US has also become much more time consuming, troublesome and just plain scary.  Any money I receive from the US is now reported to the US and Japan.  If someone in the States can still find a P.O. that offers International Postal Money Orders, we must now bring it to the P.O. and wait for it to be approved and then return at a later date to collect the money, if it is approved of course.  

It has gotten progressively more difficult and expensive that my family no longer sends gifts nor money for Christmas, birthdays etc. to/ from the US.  

There are reasons why things from abroad cost more when purchased from your local merchant.