8550 Nib - Cleaning Question

Mannyonpil

Esteemed Esterbrook Experts, Enthusiasts, et cetera,

I have acquired an 8550 nib but it looks as though it has been dipped in either india ink or maybe even black paint. The substance is black, glossy, and unaffected by water. I have managed to disassemble the nib, feed, and collar. The black substance readily flakes off the feed and collar but not from the nib itself, which is stained black. I don't mean tarnished, I mean, you can see that the nib was dipped in the mystery black substance/paint/india ink stuff.  

My question is, how might I go about cleaning the nib itself? What substances might I apply that would not react with the nib? Ammonia? Bleach? Paint thinner? Kryptonite? A stern lecture? I believe the nib is made of palladium. Is there something to which I should not submit the nib? Keep in mind that I have removed the nib from the feed and collar so I need not worry about those parts.

I thank you all in advance for your wisdom.     

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mannyonpil

• Estycollector

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Estycollector

I tend to use what I have on hand. I like ammonia and a used tooth brush.  I've used Scrubbing Bubbles on vintage razors. As you know, you don't need perfection for use. Less is always more in my book, but YMMV and others may have much more experience. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

RapidioEase pen cleaner

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next great pen show is on schedule for August 27-28-29, 2021. If we all do what we need to do...you can Book your travel and tables and make SF 2021 the Return. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Mannyonpil

Thank you for your replies.

I was able to clean a great deal of the india ink, or whatever it was, from the nib with a bleach solution and then a pencil eraser! It looks a lot better and I was able to clear out the slit and the channels in the feed. And... it works again!

It is not as pretty as I would like it to be and still has some spots but it works pretty well. It is still in need of some aligning but it is on its way.