Montblanc Converters broken

omarcenaro

I’ve been using all week at work my Burgundy Classique (144R) with 18K nib. I have  been using the piston converter to fill with ink. The older threaded converters that say Montblanc ink only. I notice that when I filled the converter (attached to nib) from the bottle that I got a bunch of bubbles, which was odd, but it filled up enough so into my pocket it went. Fast forward to today Friday, I needed a little more ink and when I opened the pen there was ink down the converter and in the barrel.

After cleaning up the mess I checked the converter and found that it was not pulling a vacuum. With a magnifying glass I saw a crack on the threads. Luckily I have 4 new MB converters, 3 of the older ones with the “MB ink only” and a new one from MB that now no longer has the ink words on the side. I inked up the new old one with a syringe this time and when I wiped of the threads to make sure there is no ink it soaked the paper towel. So I dump the ink and as I was cleaning the converter it breaks (see pic). I then fill the 3rd and last of the old type converters and screw into pen. I could not see any cracks under magnification so we will see if it holds up. Luckily I still have a brand new (no words) converter in reserve. 

Seeng if anyone else has had this issue. Also, this may help warn someone as well.

I really thought it was leaking from the section some how and by passing the converter. I was actually starting to send the pen into MB before I checked the converter.FDA5509B-6CA1-40EF-81D1-BEBA73545DD9.thumb.jpeg.eecaa6e6aa413684918240c22bd386c5.jpegAB67C3FE-D7EA-4C83-95A1-F525E82994DA.thumb.jpeg.ac1164f3c86b68e27fbead9a4cd3db46.jpeg

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• omarcenaro

• maclink

• JCC123

• PAKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the warning! I have not had this experience but it makes me want to take my 144 out to check!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Oh yes, look at your converters. I can understand the cracks in my used converter but an unused converter falling apart is just bad plastic. 

#1 had cracks on threads but not brittle. #2 was brittle and threads came apart.

E963DB94-2DEA-42B5-8084-B53667ABC094.thumb.jpeg.e78d53b0dfa5f3e01c014dbc1859c3f1.jpeg

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

Reminds me of the MB Generation pens that the section cracks by the nib. The chemistry for the plastic was not good. I have two of them, both cracked but one of them I picked off the brittle parts until it stopped at good plastic. See my pic.

C5301494-99A1-40E4-B610-67D37F38D146.thumb.jpeg.22704c0e5359e71fd34e933846b8b5a5.jpeg

The part of your converters that cracks or breaks up is the vulnerable end.  It's the part with the thinnest plastic, thanks to the threading.  It's the part that's most stressed when securing the converter and even when filling it with ink.  While I agree that the plastic itself may be a problem, the design itself may be responsible for this vulnerability as well?  How hard to tighten?  How difficult to loosen if stuck secondary to dried ink? Etc.  The converter should robustly standup to expected usage.

12 hours ago, Dione said:

I thought the older pens used push in converters not screw in ones so I did a search for which version to use in the 144.

This thread came up

Try to find old push in converters for 144 pens not screw in versions.

You are correct the push in converter can be used in the 2nd generation 144s. But the MB push in converter is no longer made. So harder to get as new. And the green tips can crack with over use and time so be careful when purchasing used ones. I reserve my push in for the corresponding older pen.

The push in converter is used for older Montblancs and the 1st generation 144 with the plastic fitting in the section. The current converter is  screw in and is used for the 2nd generation 144 with the metal fitting and Montblancs going forward.

BAA11590-3A95-44BD-8396-4C8A0B77EA50.thumb.jpeg.787ec7bbb0e55c413f2efe54ce2bc186.jpeg

Here is my old Montblanc push in converter that I keep for parts. You can see the crack in the tip. With the cracked tip it would not make a tight hold on the section and fall out which is how I discovered the issue.

B8D9622A-C6F7-4052-A86B-A67783217712.thumb.jpeg.5c2afc8291650dcdb8cbe1070573663f.jpeg

After looking around the house the last few days I finally found my extra new old stock MB push in converters that I had gotten a while back. These things are getting hard to find.

3DD9D47D-3F27-4801-BBE2-E50492A51784.png.9166f132069119adcd691eed3684b0ff.png

10 hours ago, omarcenaro said:

After looking around the house the last few days I finally found my extra new old stock MB push in converters that I had gotten a while back. These things are getting hard to find.

3DD9D47D-3F27-4801-BBE2-E50492A51784.png.9166f132069119adcd691eed3684b0ff.png

Are they intact or cracking as well? 

1 hour ago, maclink said:

Are they intact or cracking as well? 

These three New Old Stock are perfect. I have them as my strategic reserve in case the others fail from use and age.

I double checked the tips with a magnifying glass and tried them on my MB 221 & 144 and they held tight. Also, felt the tip and they are still flexible.

These are so inexpensive to replace from Montblanc that I'm not too worried about it. I'm more concerned about the threads leaking and potentially staining my clothes while I have it on me more than replacing the converters. Montblanc may have improved the plastic formulation since the "use only Montblanc ink" days? Perhaps the old converters were more sensitive to chemicals and that's why they put that warning on it? Now that they have a more robust plastic, they no longer care what ink you put into it? That's just pure speculation on my part. If that turns out to be true then I would rather have the newer converters.

Your experience probably also means that we shouldn't look for hoard it since there's no benefit in doing so. Like I said earlier, it doesn't cost that much to replace and always having the freshest stock would reduce the chances of it being brittle.

My new Classique has a converter with the warning on it. 🙂

I wasn't surprised since MB always recommends using their inks with their pens.

2 hours ago, JCC123 said:

These are so inexpensive to replace from Montblanc that I'm not too worried about it. I'm more concerned about the threads leaking and potentially staining my clothes while I have it on me more than replacing the converters. Montblanc may have improved the plastic formulation since the "use only Montblanc ink" days? Perhaps the old converters were more sensitive to chemicals and that's why they put that warning on it? Now that they have a more robust plastic, they no longer care what ink you put into it? That's just pure speculation on my part. If that turns out to be true then I would rather have the newer converters.

Your experience probably also means that we shouldn't look for hoard it since there's no benefit in doing so. Like I said earlier, it doesn't cost that much to replace and always having the freshest stock would reduce the chances of it being brittle.

The unthreaded converters are no longer available from Montblanc* and are becoming hard to find.

Other brands (eg Faber Castell) work just as well, but some users prefer to keep it all MB.

Nice stash, omarcenaro. You did well.

*Well, this was the case, some years ago - unless they've started producing them, again? Long time since I've been Montblanc shopping!

7 hours ago, JCC123 said:

The push in MB converters are no longer made so are getting hard to find but its only a concern if you want to keep it all Montblanc and period correct. Those older converters have failed from use and time which is expected.

I like your theory on the older screw in converters.  That makes a lot of sense to why they had the verbiage on the convertor. I have had no problem with current screw in converters (no verbiage) so hopefully it is a more robust plastic to deal with the different chemicals in some of the inks out there. The last of the old screw in (verbiage) converters is in the 144R now with Noodler's X-Feather ink. We shall see how it does.

9 hours ago, CS388 said:

The unthreaded converters are no longer available from Montblanc* and are becoming hard to find.

Other brands (eg Faber Castell) work just as well, but some users prefer to keep it all MB.

Nice stash, omarcenaro. You did well.

*Well, this was the case, some years ago - unless they've started producing them, again? Long time since I've been Montblanc shopping!

Thank you much, I will hold on to this stash of vintage converters for collection purposes and not use them. However, thanks to your advice I am ordering a couple Fabre Castell right now from Amazon. Will use those for everyday use.

Love these old gold converter boxes. The box is the instructions, cool touch by Montblanc back in the day. Enjoy.

EEF754AA-3594-4DBF-994F-53DBC389073B.png.86387a08647bc95b3d144776ea442d46.png

On 2/5/2021 at 8:45 PM, omarcenaro said:

Love these old gold converter boxes. The box is the instructions, cool touch by Montblanc back in the day. Enjoy.

Yes, that's how Montblanc rolled back in the 80's. Even the ink bottle boxes had instructions.

s-l1600-5.jpg

2 hours ago, JCC123 said:

Yes, that's how Montblanc rolled back in the 80's. Even the ink bottle boxes had instructions.

s-l1600-5.jpg

Yes that was a nice touch they did back then. Love your ink box. Now you have me looking for one, lol.