Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

My first ink mix - Sailor Jentle Blue and Perle Noire


Rosebud
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I tried to create a blue-black ink at home by mixing 7.5 parts Sailor Blue with 2.5 parts of Perle Noire. I like it enough to have made a bigger batch and have been using it for a week.

Any thoughts ?

 

 

Ink-mix.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • mhguda

    2

  • sansenri

    1

  • Dione

    1

  • Rosebud

    4

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations, and welcome to the world of mixing our own blue black inks!

That looks like a very nice color, and if you already made a bigger batch, you must like it enough to want to keep refilling your pen... but, you might wonder also about other proportions... 4:1, 5:1, and so on...

In my experience you need very little black to darken an ink!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, thank you and a very valid point. My bigger batch is only 20 ml and I see myself using it regularly.

 

Do you have some 'colourful' suggestions ? I'm planning on mixing Montblanc Gandhi with Diamine Oxblood to see how it goes !

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Purples go great with blues and teals, turquoises, and the like.

I've also had some fun mixing green and red in varying proportions. One combination (sorry, don't remember the proportion...) I call seaweed green.

You can also look at the discussions on how to mix a faux Parker Penman Sapphire... a little bit of a holy grail quest here.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Rosebud said:

Yes, thank you and a very valid point. My bigger batch is only 20 ml and I see myself using it regularly.

 

Do you have some 'colourful' suggestions ? I'm planning on mixing Montblanc Gandhi with Diamine Oxblood to see how it goes !

 

It seems a shame to use up Mb Gandhi by mixing with Oxblood. It will work and will probably become a nice enough ink but I wish I could get some Gandhi to write with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

welcome to the mixing itch, from me too!

Blue blacks are an interesting starting point, as they are usually easy to achieve and reasonably safe especially if you use the same brand of inks to mix (that is not mandatory though, experiment, but look out for precipitates before you fill your pen with the result...). Also by varying the proportions you can hit your exact shade of blue black, which is a rather satisfactory achievement.
For us curious spectators on your mix (before we also give it a go) you need to show your results more clearly, on the written page text is rather small I cannot see the shade of blue-black so well (looks mostly black).

Besides written words, make some comparison swabs (they are not usually useful to understand what the ink will look like in writing, but they tend to show the colour shade better) or scribbles.

Also useful if you show side by side the two starting colours next to the result, much easier to identify the differences!

 

Just an example

681039987_IMG_4147-3RoyalNavyBlue.jpg.b8237adf4ca98bb99b1714fe26049707.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dione said:

It seems a shame to use up Mb Gandhi by mixing with Oxblood. It will work and will probably become a nice enough ink but I wish I could get some Gandhi to write with.

I am aware that Gandhi is a very sought after ink. I was lucky enough to snag it up at MRP. 

It is indeed an ink which makes me happy. However, I have more than 40 ml left, of which I will only be using 3-4 ml for the experiment.

 

Curiosity.thumb.jpeg.0a42e58cb5dbc563a3150a8e6d2481fe.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sansenri said:

welcome to the mixing itch, from me too!

Blue blacks are an interesting starting point, as they are usually easy to achieve and reasonably safe especially if you use the same brand of inks to mix (that is not mandatory though, experiment, but look out for precipitates before you fill your pen with the result...). Also by varying the proportions you can hit your exact shade of blue black, which is a rather satisfactory achievement.
For us curious spectators on your mix (before we also give it a go) you need to show your results more clearly, on the written page text is rather small I cannot see the shade of blue-black so well (looks mostly black).

Besides written words, make some comparison swabs (they are not usually useful to understand what the ink will look like in writing, but they tend to show the colour shade better) or scribbles.

Also useful if you show side by side the two starting colours next to the result, much easier to identify the differences!

 

Just an example

681039987_IMG_4147-3RoyalNavyBlue.jpg.b8237adf4ca98bb99b1714fe26049707.jpg

Thank you for the advice. Seems pertinent and I would try to follow it in future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share








×
×
  • Create New...