New holder for Goulet #6 Nib

Paganini

I have a nice all black Goulet #6 nib that I like a lot. For the past few years it's been living in a Jinhao 159. The jinhao 159 wasn't that lovely to begin with, and, as expected, the "enamel" is starting to chip off, so I think it's time to find a new home for my nib. I'd like something that's a bit of an upgrade from the 159, nice looking, but not too expensive. Not a Duragraph, because I already did this project with a Goulet 1.1mm stub and a Duragraph. While that turned out just fine, I don't want another one. I was thinking the Jinhao 100 might be nice - a classic Duofold look. 

One thing I want to try and avoid is getting a pen that's *too* nice... one with a nib that, after swapping with the Goulet nib, I'll feel like I need to find its own home! (It's a vicious cycle! :) )

Tell me about your Goulet #6 nib rehoming projects! 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paganini

• austinwft

• A Smug Dill

• Mech-for-i

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't buy a Goulet #6 nib in the first place, but I'll assume it's conceptually the same as rehoming a Nemosine #6 nib — nice nibs, but I wouldn't buy at full price or even 20% off.

Happy to put a Nemosine #6 nib into a PenBBS 308/309 (because I'm not fond of the default upturned F nibs on those) or a Wing Sung 699. Good-looking enough pens, not too nice, but I see no point in aiming for something less than US$20 to buy; “not too expensive” to me means not over $50 (including the original nib).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The Goulet nib is nothing more than a standard JOWO #6 nib only sold without the accompanying JOWO feed and screw-in housing. If you can pick up a feed and housing, which is easy enough to do, the assembled screw-in nib unit can then be used in a multitude of pens available.

That is exactly what I did with the Goulet nib and spare feed and housing I had sitting in a drawer, putting them together and screwing the nib assembly into a PSP Zayante that can be purchased without a nib.

18 hours ago, Paganini said:

Not over $50 sounds about right; I think I paid just over $40 for the Duragraph.

I'm sure you can fit a #6 nib of JoWo pedigree into a Moonman 800 (the Leonardo Momento Zero lookalike model), if you like Italian styling and pretty acrylics, for well under that price point.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thanks @A Smug Dill! I didn't realize so many Moonman pens fit JoWo #6. There are a lot of neat-looking ones at a nice price-point. 

@austinwft, where can you score just thew screw-in nib collars? I've seen plenty of places selling whole assemblies (collar  + feed + nib) but I haven't found anywhere where you can pick & choose piecemeal. 

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'm sure you can fit a #6 nib of JoWo pedigree into a Moonman 800 (the Leonardo Momento Zero lookalike model), if you like Italian styling and pretty acrylics, for well under that price point.

2 hours ago, Paganini said:

Thanks @A Smug Dill! I didn't realize so many Moonman pens fit JoWo #6. There are a lot of neat-looking ones at a nice price-point. 

@austinwft, where can you score just thew screw-in nib collars? I've seen plenty of places selling whole assemblies (collar  + feed + nib) but I haven't found anywhere where you can pick & choose piecemeal. 

I actually have NOT had any luck fitting jowo nibs in moonman pens that came with a moonman nib. I mean, they fit, if I remember, but the ink flow was not adequate. I have not tried in those models that came with Bock nibs. 

In my experience, jowo nibs fit much more easily in penbbs pens. 

I recently tried fitting a size 6 Jowo nib on a Moonman M600s, and it does seem to work.

It should be mentioned that Jowo nibs have a wider shoulder than other nibs like Moonman or Bock, which sometimes makes it difficult to friction fit them into size 6 pens.

It would be best to fit the Jowo nib with its own feed, because the feed is slightly different too, wider shoulder.

And in fact even though the Jowo nib fits the Moonman collar with the Moonman feed, it does fit more snugly if you also fit its own feed with it.

In both cases fit is tighter than with the Moonman nib, which seems to be thinner.

(this part was the most interesting for me, as it seems the Moonman M600s is a nice nib holder also for thinner nibs, than Jowo, Bock and Jinhao which tend to be rather thick)

13 hours ago, Paganini said:

@austinwft, where can you score just the screw-in nib collars? I've seen plenty of places selling whole assemblies (collar  + feed + nib) but I haven't found anywhere where you can pick & choose piecemeal. 

When I needed a "nib less" feed and housing in the past I just contacted one of the pen makers that uses JOWO #6 nib units, or it may have been just a reseller, and asked if they had a spare feed and housing I could buy and they were quite accommodating but since it has been years since I needed these parts I can't recall at this exact moment who I may have reached out to. 

I do know that FPnibs.com sell just these part, for around $3 as I remember, but I'm sure under the current conditions that the cost of shipping from Spain would rule out this option.

One other option that I highly recommend if it is not cost prohibitive and you think you might benefit from an ebonite feed is the Flexible Nib Factor JoWo #6 Ebonite Replacement Feed and Housing.

10 hours ago, austinwft said:

One other option that I highly recommend if it is not cost prohibitive and you think you might benefit from an ebonite feed is the Flexible Nib Factor JoWo #6 Ebonite Replacement Feed and Housing.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I was actually looking at those yesterday, but I wasn't sure what pens they would go in. I've read that manufacturers sometimes use different thread patterns on the standard collars (I suppose to discourage people from doing just what I'm wanting to do). Is there a Beeg List o' Pens someplace that says what pens use the standard threading? 

You could start with this thread...

What Pens Will Take A #6 Jowo Nib And Housing? - Fountain & Dip Pens - First Stop - The Fountain Pen Network

I personally have pens from Franklin-Christoph, Edison Pens, FPnibs.com and Ranga pens from Peyton Street Pens that all take standard JOWO #6 nib units, including the Flexible Nib Factory Ebonite feed and housing.

The pen I have a Goulet nib in is a PSP Zayante which are available without nibs in a variety of colors in acrylic and ebonite.

Attachment-1.jpeg

Peyton Street Pens has a large selection of Ranga pens in a wide variety of sizes that all take the same nib assembly. 

If you do find one or their pens you like I would ask Teri if they possibly have just a feed and housing you could purchase, they are great people to work with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 6:09 PM, Paganini said:

where can you score just thew screw-in nib collars? I've seen plenty of places selling whole assemblies (collar  + feed + nib) but I haven't found anywhere where you can pick & choose piecemeal. 

You can check Pen Realm, he has jowo#6 feed only, housing only or feed+housing ($3-5).

I have used jowo#6 & nemosine nibs in my Moonman C1, work very well and the fit was good in the moonman unit too. 

The new Jinhao 9056 sounds a safe bet ; if you want a nicer pen then any of the PenBBS models would work fine, just remember to order the spare parts set also so you can made your own nib unit out of it.

9 hours ago, oldfashioned-aj said:

You can check Pen Realm, he has jowo#6 feed only, housing only or feed+housing ($3-5).

I have used jowo#6 & nemosine nibs in my Moonman C1, work very well and the fit was good in the moonman unit too. 

As a matter of fact, Moonman C1 is what I ended up getting. What a cool pen! Thanks for the link to Pen Realm, too. I haven't seen that store before; they seem to have a lot of cool stuff.

5 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

The new Jinhao 9056 sounds a safe bet ; if you want a nicer pen then any of the PenBBS models would work fine, just remember to order the spare parts set also so you can made your own nib unit out of it.

That pen looks like a monster. Is it as huge as the photos make it seem? I googled the PenBBS spare parts set. I wish everyone offered  a package like that - particularly Wing Sung! I've been buying spare parts for my 601s piecemeal when I can find them from various sellers. I've found collectors, hoods, pistons, and caps, but no feeds... except for the Triomphe style 601A, which is just what I don't want! (I really hate those 601A Triomphe nibs, so I've been slowly converting mine into a regular 601 by buying individual spare parts. I managed to get every part except for the feed, so I've got an old Hero 616 feed in there.) 

4 hours ago, Paganini said:

That pen looks like a monster. Is it as huge as the photos make it seem?

I suppose you mean the Jinhao 9056, well its actually same sized as the Jinhao 159 , but marginally slimmer all around and a tad longer, if you want something more regular sized  , try Jinhao 9035 , its another wood construction with no.6 nib but the body is standard size instead of over size form factor ( shown below is mine with a FM GLM nib swapped in )

49736459916_495d8d1bf8_k.jpgJinhao 9035, on Flickr