Nib Swaps on LEs

bunnspecial

As I understand it, the LEs are covered under the same 6 week nib swap policy as new pens. Most of them also are generally only sold(at least in the US) in F and M from what I've seen.

If one sends one in and requests something like say an OM nib, are they able to fulfill this order and keep the same special LE nib design? I'm considering doing just that(having my F swapped for an OM) but if it means giving up the LE nib, it's definitely not something I want to do.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bunnspecial

• zaddick

• drgriz

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, swaps use the same design. They have them in stock for all recent pens in all sizes in Hamburg. I think the exchange period was lengthened to a year several years ago. The booklet with the pen should specify. 

If you want a swap for an LE pen that is not new or an old one where they are lacking stock, it can be done but I have heard some high quotes in the past. I would say to proceed with caution if you are going g to buy a 15 year old used pen and expect a swap from F to BB to be cheap and quick. They all go to Hamburg and if not available you'd have to wait for one to be made.

I'd say the last 5 years or so would not be an issue to get what you want free in the exchange period with proof of purchase from and authorized dealer. 

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks. This is on the WD LE, which I think was 2019(at least by the copyright date on the book).

With your "1 year" comment-is that how long they keep them or how long it takes to get them back? If it's a year to get it back, I may opt to not do it. I know it's a BIT of a different story, but I did a nib swap on a Pelikan M800(M to B-Goulet had them on sale but didn't have B in stock). I sent it to Chartpak, and they called me to say they were sending it back the same day tracking showed delivered.

If the pen is sold as new and from an authorized dealer, they will exchange the nib free of charge.  I did it on a 17 year old pen, bought sealed from an authorized dealer.

11 minutes ago, bunnspecial said:

Thanks. This is on the WD LE, which I think was 2019(at least by the copyright date on the book).

With your "1 year" comment-is that how long they keep them or how long it takes to get them back? If it's a year to get it back, I may opt to not do it. I know it's a BIT of a different story, but I did a nib swap on a Pelikan M800(M to B-Goulet had them on sale but didn't have B in stock). I sent it to Chartpak, and they called me to say they were sending it back the same day tracking showed delivered.

My 1 year comment was the duration of the free exchange period. It used to be 6 weeks, but I think around the time of the Tolstoy release they changed the length of time you have to initiate the swap. Duration of the return of the pen is completely dependent on the situation when you send it in. You can ask for an estimate up front, but it can easily be delayed. Or it could be back quick. Impossible to know in advance as there is not service level agreement on turnaround times.

11 minutes ago, drgriz said:

If the pen is sold as new and from an authorized dealer, they will exchange the nib free of charge.  I did it on a 17 year old pen, bought sealed from an authorized dealer.

I am not sure if that is the case if they don't have your requested nib width in stock. 

I bought a pen that was will in production, or maybe just finished, that was a special edition. They did not make any of the size of nibs i requested for the exchange and kept offering me a different size. I had to escalate it up the chain until it worked out in my favor, but I then had to wait for it to be made. 

That said, not disagreeing with you at all, just saying it might not be smooth sailing or super quick. But They will honor the exchange period for new pens from an AD.

25 minutes ago, zaddick said:

My 1 year comment was the duration of the free exchange period. It used to be 6 weeks, but I think around the time of the Tolstoy release they changed the length of time you have to initiate the swap. Duration of the return of the pen is completely dependent on the situation when you send it in. You can ask for an estimate up front, but it can easily be delayed. Or it could be back quick. Impossible to know in advance as there is not service level agreement on turnaround times.

Okay, 1 years to decide is great(although I will read through the book and make sure). I'm not bothered if it's a month or two or three for exchange, but a year might be pushing my patience.

I'm glad to know I don't have to decide in 6 weeks. I know that I shouldn't wait around too long, but at the same time I'd like to actually get something else with an OM first before I commit this one to it. I get along well with OBs and OBBs...decisions decisions. It's a shame I can't just buy 8 of these to have one in every standard size, but I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.

2 hours ago, bunnspecial said:

Okay, 1 years to decide is great(although I will read through the book and make sure). I'm not bothered if it's a month or two or three for exchange, but a year might be pushing my patience.

I'm glad to know I don't have to decide in 6 weeks. I know that I shouldn't wait around too long, but at the same time I'd like to actually get something else with an OM first before I commit this one to it. I get along well with OBs and OBBs...decisions decisions. It's a shame I can't just buy 8 of these to have one in every standard size, but I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.

It certainly can work that way. I have 149 nibs in all the widths. This is not s place of judgement for those who have slid all the way down the slippery slope. 😆

36 minutes ago, zaddick said:

It certainly can work that way. I have 149 nibs in all the widths. This is not s place of judgement for those who have slid all the way down the slippery slope. 😆

That might or might not be a long term plan for both my 14 and 149 collections...I'm at two on the 14 and 3 on the 149.

If I'm not mistaken, the 14 adds OF, OEF, and maybe a few other grinds.

1 hour ago, bunnspecial said:

That might or might not be a long term plan for both my 14 and 149 collections...I'm at two on the 14 and 3 on the 149.

If I'm not mistaken, the 14 adds OF, OEF, and maybe a few other grinds.

I'm a "dealer".  I can get you all the nibs you want.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

22 minutes ago, niksch said:

I'm a "dealer".  I can get you all the nibs you want.

Well, if you have any fun 14 nibs, or maybe an EF 149 also, talk to me and we can chat if we're able to meet up in March :)

😀 Hello,

I'm looking for two Montblanc 149 sized nibs.

I'd like to try italics and broad.

They don't have to be Montblanc either. Just as long as they fit

and they are flexible and gold.

The price of genuine 149 nibs is getting silly.

What do you suggest?

🤨

I have a bock #8 on my 139 inspired pen.

A word of warning, they can be hit or miss depending on who you purchase them from and how they are set up.

*edit* fixed a typo.

look at fpnibs.com. The largest Bock nibs (A380 I think) you can see the cost of ordering a custom. Not much cheaper than a loose MB #9, but can be ordered any time. 

Not really any cheap options outside of getting lucky.

To be honest, bargain 149s are out there for probably about as much as a good loose nib can cost. 

Broads are easy to find. I’m guessing a good nib guy could make a nice italic from a BB pretty easily. I’m guessing that a big 14K #9 nib, with its long tines, might be easy enough to add a bit of flex to. Flex is common on celluloid and early resin models. 

On 1/27/2021 at 12:54 PM, zaddick said:

I am not sure if that is the case if they don't have your requested nib width in stock. 

I bought a pen that was will in production, or maybe just finished, that was a special edition. They did not make any of the size of nibs i requested for the exchange and kept offering me a different size. I had to escalate it up the chain until it worked out in my favor, but I then had to wait for it to be made. 

That said, not disagreeing with you at all, just saying it might not be smooth sailing or super quick. But They will honor the exchange period for new pens from an AD.

As a point of clarification, in my case it was a fairly smooth process.  However, I did have to wait for the OBB nib to be produced, which took about four months.  Since it was free, it was a win for me.