Platinum Procyon, Kaweco Al Sport or Dia2

Lugworm

Question

In the UK, Platinum Procyon (bit of a tongue twister) in Deep Sea, Kaweco AL Sport and Kaweco Dia2 are pretty much the same price.  Assuming you could only pick one and not exchange the nib, which is best?

I would use all unposted except for AL Sport.

Procyon Deep Sea is a pretty colour and style but goes downhill in my opinion when the cap is removed.

A L Sport in red looks nice.  I like my skyline sport but when closed it just looks so small.

Dia2 (chrome trim) looks very smart.

My debt he paid, my death he died, that I might live.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lugworm

• corniche

• MuddyWaters

• Karmachanic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very difficult to provide advice if you don't state a few more parameters of préference.

The Procyon is a bigger pen, probably more comfortable to hold for long sessions. The dia2 is often said to be comfortable but that must be for smaller hands. The Al Sport would be dead last for sure in this regard. 

Nib wise, the Procyon will be more reliable. Kaweco nibs tend to have baby bottoms especially at medium or higher. 

If you need a pocket pen, the Al Sport will be unrivaled by these other two but I would still be concerned about nib issues. 

Hi Lugworm,

Performance wise; I'll take the Procyon's every time.

20210127_120510.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20210127_120634.jpg?width=1920&height=10

My only gripe with it, is the threads can be on the sharp side. Other than that, I prefer it to the Kaweco's 5:1.

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

All of my pens are in the "novelty" category, for want of a better word.
Jinhao X750

Moonman M2

Kaweco Skyline Sport

Lamy Safari

Whilst there is nothing wrong with the above, I was just considering getting something a bit nice.  The 3776, pro gear, Pilots all seem too small (uncapped) and way over my budget.  The Dia2 seems nice but the nib I believe is the same as the Al=Sport.  I think I can rule out the Procyon, although I love the colour.

2 minutes ago, corniche said:

Hi Lugworm,

Performance wise; I'll take the Procyon's every time.

20210127_120510.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20210127_120634.jpg?width=1920&height=10

My only gripe with it, is the threads can be on the sharp side. Other than that, I prefer it to the Kaweco's 5:1.

Those photos are really handy.

26 minutes ago, Lugworm said:

Those photos are really handy.

You're welcome.

Perhaps the Procyon in the Deep Sea color is dignified enough? :unsure:

The Dia2 is the most dignified of the trio, but as Muddy Waters alluded to; it took me three nib units to turn it into a decent writer, (trying to repair them got me nowhere). For a pen that costs $130, I expect a lot more.

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I wonder if there is another option I haven't thought of.

I know I mentioned sticking with the original nib.  But I was thinking of the really expensive gold nibs.

A Bock 076 in steel is only about £12.  If the Kaweco nib happens to be below par, the Bock should remedy it.  The Dia2 has become a more attractive proposition.

1 hour ago, Lugworm said:

A Bock 076 in steel is only about £12. 

This.

For the record, the original is also Bock.

Add lightness and simplicate.