I lubricated the piston of my M205 Custom today

I purchased my first Pelikan pen, an EF Classic M205 Demonstrator Special Edition, around September 2019. In 2019, The Central Ohio Pen Club created two custom inks and I loaded my pen with "Park of Roses", a rather interesting red ink. Normally I do not care for red ink, but I found this interesting. 

When the Covid lockdown hit, that particular pen was set aside and forgotten until a few days ago. I should have cleaned it before putting it away. Bad me. So, after soaking (and similar steps), the plunger is really tight. So tight, it is almost unusable. That was very scary to me. I am not a "take my pen apart" kind of guy. I am usually pretty handy, but, this is an expensive pen (in my mind) and I really like it, and I did not want to mess it up. 

I managed to find these links:

https://thepelikansperch.com/2014/08/30/how-to-lubricate-a-pelikan-piston/

https://thepelikansperch.com/database/frequently-asked-questions/

https://thepelikansperch.com/2014/11/22/changing-pelikan-nib/

I had the silicon, but I have to admit that I was apprehensive about unscrewing that nib. Although I expected a fight, that nib twisted right out with almost no resistance. I put just a wee bit of silicon on a toothpick; frankly, I expected it was too little and would have no effect. I then carefully put it as close to the plunger as I could. 

All said and done, that was really easy and the plunger now is very smooth. 

I Loaded it with a Pelikan ink, Tanzanite. Will see how it goes. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• pitonyak

• debraji

• N1003U

2 hours ago, pitonyak said:

I purchased my first Pelikan pen, an EF Classic M205 Demonstrator Special Edition, around September 2019. In 2019, The Central Ohio Pen Club created two custom inks and I loaded my pen with "Park of Roses", a rather interesting red ink. Normally I do not care for red ink, but I found this interesting. 

When the Covid lockdown hit, that particular pen was set aside and forgotten until a few days ago. I should have cleaned it before putting it away. Bad me. So, after soaking (and similar steps), the plunger is really tight. So tight, it is almost unusable. That was very scary to me. I am not a "take my pen apart" kind of guy. I am usually pretty handy, but, this is an expensive pen (in my mind) and I really like it, and I did not want to mess it up. 

I managed to find these links:

https://thepelikansperch.com/2014/08/30/how-to-lubricate-a-pelikan-piston/

https://thepelikansperch.com/database/frequently-asked-questions/

https://thepelikansperch.com/2014/11/22/changing-pelikan-nib/

I had the silicon, but I have to admit that I was apprehensive about unscrewing that nib. Although I expected a fight, that nib twisted right out with almost no resistance. I put just a wee bit of silicon on a toothpick; frankly, I expected it was too little and would have no effect. I then carefully put it as close to the plunger as I could. 

All said and done, that was really easy and the plunger now is very smooth. 

I Loaded it with a Pelikan ink, Tanzanite. Will see how it goes. 

Welcome to the club of Pelikan owners! It is not a particularly elite club, but your experience is one to which many Pelikan owners here, I am sure, can relate. Well done with the lubrication!

I recently bought a brand new M600 from a reputable dealer, and upon receipt, I noticed that the piston was somewhat stiff. The first thing I did was to give the pen a good cleaning, only to find out that not only had the pen been inked, it was not cleaned before being re-boxed. Yes, I was a bit miffed, but I chalked it up to a one-time error on the part of the vendor and left it at that.

So after a good cleaning, I re-lubed the piston, using the same toothpick method, and it does work splendidly. The piston function is now smooth and reliable.

Edelstein Tanzanite is, IME pretty tame. I kept it in a 2012 M200 Demonstrator for well over a year (just refills, no cleaning in-between), and the ink cleaned out wonderfully (getting any ink out from under the lip of the section notwithstanding, which was a pain, but also works using the method described by sargetalon in his how-to blogs), with absolutely no staining.

I sometimes find piston pens to get a tiny bit stuck after sitting unused for a long time. For this reason I've started storing the piston knob a bit unscrewed on the theory that I could then "rock" the piston in either direction if needed to free it.

“The proper definition of a man is an animal that writes letters.”

Lewis Carroll

Bo Bo Olson

Nice tip.....:thumbup:

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

chromantic

Congrats. Now we'll have to show you the secret handshake.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Bo Bo Olson

Rick Papas...the Pelikan Guru, said a Pelikan need not normally be lubricated more than every three-four years.

Some folks want to lubricate too much. I've many piston Pelikans, and am sure I lubricated one last year, or the year before. I know I lubed a couple-3-4?,  I've had for over 10 years, some time @ 5 years ago.

Still going strong.

It is not one should not lube, but there is seldom a reason to do it regularly......once every 3-4 years or every decade. :happyberet:

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The only thing that I would change is to use a cotton swab instead of a toothpick.  A toothpick puts way too much grease in the barrel.  I often find blobs of  silicone grease in a barrel, which will wash off into the ink.

Twist the swab to wrap the fibers a little tighter, and just touch it to the silicone grease.  You only need a little bit.  With the grease up, insert into the barrel, rotate the barrel to distribute the silicone grease.  Work the piston up and down a few times, and you will feel it loosen up. 

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Well done. Now you have a bird, more will follow!

I use a cotton swab as well, quite handy. It is  fun to maintain the pens and swap the nibs.

PaperDarts

I've got exactly this problem with one of my M205 pens, and now I know exactly what to do - thanks, all!

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf