How do you use wirebound/spiralbound notebooks?

arcfide

[Reposted at suggestion with a different title, as the original term "ring-bound" was ambiguous.]

So, just a seriously curious question for those of you who prefer metal wirebound notebooks. Why and how? 

I can see the appeal of the "ever flat" design of a wirebound notebook, as well as the ease with which they can be folded back on themselves, particularly in larger sizes like A4. However, wirebound  notebooks, especially with the thicker, double ring style, would always seem to me to impede the hand when writing on the back side of the page. Moreover, when stored, they would seem to consume more space and get stuck on things. 

So, for those of you who prefer that style of notebook, I am curious how you get around this, and what makes you prefer this style notebook to other options? Just genuine curiosity from someone on the other side looking to hear from the wirebound aficionados. 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ink Stained Wretch

• Sailor Kenshin

• camjr

• ParramattaPaul

I use Maruman Mnemosyne Horizontal A5 daily for work. The pages are square ruled on one side, blank on the other, and perforated. To write on them, I position the wire loop on the top. I typically fold the notebook over itself to minimize the amount of desk space needed. To store them, I alternate the position of the rings, left to right, so that they stack flat. Maruman Mnemosyne have another benefit in that their back is hard cardboard which means I have a built in writing surface.

https://www.amazon.com/Maruman-Hardcover-Executive-Notebook-N195A/dp/B00TES82HW?th=1

I get lots of comments writing in these. I've even given a few away to folks who were really inspired.

They pair really well with my Nakaya.

I'm with @dmourati in liking the landscape/horizontal oriented Mnemosyne A5 graph notebooks. I don't use them for long form writing (Midori A5 graph notebooks for that usually), but i always have one in my bag and use them as my "thought processor" notebooks, working out ideas, quick notes, diagram/illustration ideas, etc. As such, I don't worry about storage as I tend to use them up --- removing pages as I go and putting them with relevant projects if I might need to reference them, or into the garbage after I've worked something out. The hard back makes them useful for pulling out and writing anywhere.

Back in my university days, I did use spiral bound graph notebooks for lecture notes and drafting essays and such --- these were larger notebooks, and I would write in two columns in landscape mode in those (coils at the top).

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

I like to use wirebound notebooks for work for reasons you’ve already mentioned: ever-flat, takes up less desk space when folded back on themselves. I use bound notebooks for personal writing only for the fanciness factor :P

I use Japanese notebooks so the wire rings seem to be smaller and less bothersome (though the only non-Japanese wirebound notebooks I’ve ever used were the cheap Mead ones when I was in school 10+ years ago, so I might be trippin’!). Kokuyo makes soft-ring notebooks with the rings made out of a truly soft and squishy plastic (Example link) that may help with that problem, but as always...more expensive.

For storage, I shelve them alternating backward and forward so the wires don’t get caught up with each other.

I write on both sides of the page and what I would do, once upon a time, was to write on one side, the right side, all the way to the end. Then I'd turn the journal (which what I was doing) upside down and write the same way to the end (which was the original "front"). It kinda looks like a crazy guy's journal which is why I stopped. But it did work for the purposes discussed in this thread...

I also use a Mnemosyne spiral notebook — portrait mode. Biggest plus for me is being able to fold it back on itself so it takes up less desk space.

I use the spiral wire bound notebook that's at the top of the page, a "stenographer" notebook, for notetaking at my historical society.  This notebook is a Rhodia No. 5 in graph or line format. I like the size and ease of use when flipping the pages back and forth. Additionally, the paper is fountain pen friendly.  Since the wire is at the top of the page, it does not interfere with my writing.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray

I like my muji a5 spiral. I have no issues with the spine.  On the other hand, disc bound, is big and clumsy with the 0.75-1.0 inch disc.  With thick books, I have a little trouble with the drop off at the edge, spiral or not.

I tend to use 6'x9" steno pads with the spiral binding at the top.  They fit in my leather bound planner, tend to have decent paper, and the spiral is out of the way at the top of the page.

As a southpaw, I either want the spiral on top, or I just write from the back of the notebook to the front.  Works either way.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 2 months later...

I've been using inexpensive spiral bound notebooks, 70 sheets long, for some years now. When I say inexpensive I mean it. Some were bought at either Staples or Target for 5­¢ or 6¢ each during "Back to School" sales. Alas, that was years ago and they have not had sales like that in a long time.

I tend to write mostly in the spiral notebooks while they are folded over and clipped to a clip board. It's convenient for me that way. Also, by folding the notebook over the spiral is not so dominant.

At some point I may well end up using them all up. In fact I hope that I do, since the only other way I'll stop using them is if I croak in the near term :doh:!

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

On 2/14/2021 at 11:35 AM, Sailor Kenshin said:

As a southpaw, I either want the spiral on top, or I just write from the back of the notebook to the front.  Works either way.

I've done that too for the majority of my life.  Then, I finally transitioned (it is a process -- not a simple change) to underwriting, and changed the placement and angle of the notebook. This solved two problems. One, pain and soreness from overwriting with a hooked wrist and hand; and two, the binding (rings or spiral) being in the way.

Although now retired, when i worked I went through a lot of different notebooks and usually had several dedicated to different tasks.  My daily note taker went where ever I went so I always got A5 thread bound or stapled notebooks because they travel well and slid in and out of my backpack with ease.  My journals are Rhodia Webnotebooks and remain on a shelf until I want to enter something and they fold nice and flat regardless of the page i was on (I'm a recto writer only if that matters).  For project work I used the Rhodia meeting book because i loved the Cornel style paper layout.  That notebook never left my desk and only comes wirebound so I allowed it  :).  (Really love that notebook, too)   I was using a spare Black n Red threadbound for my ink journal but when it filled I replaced it with a Rhodia top wirebound notebook because i like the layout for inks... I create a new page each month with entries from each of my 13 pens noting what ink is in them and the date last filled. It never leaves my desk.  Ok.. so that was long winded but i guess the takeaway is that for me function defines form.

I hadn’t a wirebound notebook for years but this week I’ve bought a couple of Indian made Ayush Paper notebooks and have been favourably impressed.  I don’t think they’ll ever become travelling companions but as a desk pad they’re more user friendly than Rhodia stapled pads IMO.  Great paper but limited availability at the moment.   They’re the future I tell you!

I use loose leaf paper, so consider me an heretic that breaks notebooks apart for extra notes:lticaptd:I don't like them, since my writing never matches the number of pages they have. Always too many, always too little, never a middle point. I just use plastic folders to keep documents organized, but the Miquelrius A4 notebook was a good experience for the last years. Too bad the last pages weren't as good as the first ones, time's a harsh thing.

Always looking for new ways to downsize my collection.

I start using soft ring B5 notebook from Kokuyo three weeks ago.  I pretty much like the soft ring concept as I write on both sides and the soft ring does not block my writing hand.  The paper quality is also OK for use with fountain pen.

Lonely Boy

http://blog.hmlai.com/

I use a sketchbook for my daily everything, I like to work in my lap so having it fold over and be compact makes a big difference. Because I am using a hardier spiral I have not had issues with it getting to caught on stuff in my bag and I can slide my pen (my twsbi ecos fit in it) or pencil in the rings. I also tie a ribbon on it for a bookmark. The shape and material of the spiral makes a big difference, my strathmore sketchbooks have a spiral that is not much larger than the book itself, so I do not find them intrusive on the hand has I use both sides. Right now I am looking for a daily catch all book that will show off my inks better, and I am very open to a flat bound book after using a well made one from japan for my gradebook.

I'm also a lefty, but I don't use overhand writing (the "hook").  Spirals on the left don't bother me.  I also don't use spiral notebooks because the paper in them tends to be cheap, the notebooks themselves flimsy, and the covers fragile.

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

turn it 90 degree , and write on it as " Landscape " mode , obviously only work on grid , dot , or blank , or if you can get it the vertical lined variety.