On fake Montblanc pens at Ebay

TomFPN

There is a very easy solution to the problem of buying  Montblanc pens from eBay sellers.   You message the seller before buying and ask them to confirm categorically that the item is a genuine Montblanc and not counterfeit.

When they give you that specific guarantee, you are safe.   If it does turn out to be a fake eBay will refund the cost of the pen.

If the seller doesn't respond, or won't be as specific, you know what the answer is and then the risk is yours entirely.   There are many legitimate sellers on eBay selling genuine items

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bunnspecial

• Pale.Ink.Tom

• sgphototn

• Beechwood

1 minute ago, BillNick said:

You message the seller before buying and ask them to confirm categorically that the item is a genuine Montblanc and not counterfeit.

Not necessary. All sellers must click to confirm that a Montblanc pen is authentic before they are allowed to list it. Potential guessing later isn't allowed. They have confirmed it's authentic from the get go.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:31 AM, aprettypenny said:

Does 'Buying The Seller' imply a lengthy process of 'reconnaissance', 'due diligence' and a track record of successful encounters? All long term trading relationships began with a first purchase.

There are lucky people who boast they've never been caught out, or they can spot a scam at a glance. And that may be so but from my experience those people never admit it when it does happen.

As far as I can see, in a poorly regulated, virtual, trading environment, online trading is at the high risk end and there is very little protection when it goes badly.

Thanks Geoduck

Thank you and very

In my experience, especially on sites like eBay, it definitely pays to do "due diligence" -- not only in looking carefully at photos (and asking the seller for better ones) and reading the description, but in seeing what a seller's feedback rating is, and then reading the negative reviews if there are any.  One of the worst experiences I ever had was with a seller with literally tens of thousands of transactions and a positive rating in the high 90s%.  Only I got screwed.  I filed a dispute, which was adjudicated by eBay in my favor in a matter of hours, and I got to keep the item in question as well as getting my money back; but then was not ALLOWED to provide feedback on the seller afterwards.  I will NEVER trust that particular vendor again.  Ever -- very top of the "do not buy ANYTHING from these people" list.  And I'm not allowed to "name and shame" on FPN.  

I also got somewhat screwed by another vender, who lied to another potential bidder about the condition.  I foolishly believed the seller, won the auction and then discovered that yes, there WAS a crack in the cap.  But figured "Well, I know repair people...."  Only it turned out that that sort of work would take six MONTHS and cost $100 US on top of what I'd already paid for the pen.  Live and learn.

OTOH, I've gotten good deals from eBay, and there are sellers I wouldn't hesitate to buy from again (if they had what I wanted at decent prices) -- and *have* bought from some of them more than once.  I got talking to Pierre Miller of Desiderata Pens at a pen show a couple of years ago and we got talking about online venders.  He said "I've got a guy in Japan!" and I said "Yeah, me too!" and it turned out we were talking about the SAME eBay vender....  :thumbup:  Those are the "buy the seller" cases.  But I had sellers that I thought were trustworthy on eBay (I always had good experiences) turn out to not be so good when I ordered directly from the website.  They eventually cancelled the transaction on me and I had to go scoping out the item on a different website (although at least I wasn't out the money, I was still annoyed at how I was treated, and would be very wary in future over making a pre-order for something new, rather than waiting till it was actually in stock from them).

I'll admit that I don't expect to ever buy a MB pen for a variety of reasons (fear of getting a fake one being much lower down the ladder than some other ones).  But I have a pen that someone ordered in bulk and then handed out to people at a pen club meeting a number of years ago.  And that might have been a fake Hero 616.  The pen wrote, but it wrote like it was a $1 US pen -- which is pretty much what the guy had paid apiece for them.  (A really Hero 616 is a knockoff of a Parker 51, and I think real 616s run about $15).  So anything is possible.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 2/1/2021 at 8:12 AM, gerigo said:

That is true. They will destroy any counterfeits if you send them in to authenticate.

If you don't know what you are talking about it's best not to post false assertions, I received this from Montblanc today...

"Dear Valued Customer,

From After Sales Service Montblanc, Thailand.

I received information from headquarter that you asked for authentication service.

For this service, the pen needs to be sent to Germany for check and verification, where a certificate can be issued.

Details of service fees and delivery are as below.

- Transportation fee is 3,000 Baht (payment before sending to Germany at Montblanc boutique Siam Paragon) No refund in any case.

- Writing Instrument certificate is 3,000 Baht Pay when you collect the pen.

Lead time about 2-3 months.

In case, if checked it’s not an original Montblanc product, we will return the pen to customer without charge for checking".

Buying Montblanc fakes on ebay used to be more of a risk than it is now. If you buy a Montblanc item on ebay now then you have to receive the item that you've paid for. In the event that an ebay seller has knowingly or unknowingly sold you a fake then it's easy to get your money back. You just start an ebay case and that is what will happen. Sometimes you will also get to keep the fake because ebay tell you to not return it. The 2 options are that you will need to return it for a full refund with the seller paying for return shipping or you get a full refund and keep it because it's a fake and sellers can't list fakes on ebay.

It likely depends on what country you live in. Fakes here of any kind can - at least in theory - be seized and destroyed. If China took on that policy they'd wipe out 50%of their GDP.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:15 AM, BillNick said:

If you don't know what you are talking about it's best not to post false assertions, I received this from Montblanc today...

"Dear Valued Customer,

From After Sales Service Montblanc, Thailand.

I received information from headquarter that you asked for authentication service.

For this service, the pen needs to be sent to Germany for check and verification, where a certificate can be issued.

Details of service fees and delivery are as below.

- Transportation fee is 3,000 Baht (payment before sending to Germany at Montblanc boutique Siam Paragon) No refund in any case.

- Writing Instrument certificate is 3,000 Baht Pay when you collect the pen.

Lead time about 2-3 months.

In case, if checked it’s not an original Montblanc product, we will return the pen to customer without charge for checking".

using current exchange rates that's approximately $95.00 for postage and the same if you pay for authentication. Thus, authentication will cost you a bit.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

On 1/26/2021 at 12:24 PM, sgphototn said:

Montblanc makes money as some buyers are afraid of buying fake Montblancs and then buy at top retail at established retailers. Montblanc is the most faked pen in the world and Montblanc takes it as an opportunity.

This would be me …  bought an MB 149 from a boutique .. it hurt yes, BUT the piece of mind knowing that I got an authentic MB149 is priceless.   

• 1 year later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:40 AM, gerigo said:

"Focus on fountain pens, especially those that are piston fillers. Those are very difficult to make well and are hard to replicate. ...The 149 and 146 are less frequently faked because these are piston pens and counterfeiters stay away from these 2 styles of pens."

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=Luxury+Meisterstuck+146+Series+Fountain+Pen&_sacat=0

Fake Meisterstueck 146 with piston filler on eBay!

On 2/1/2021 at 3:40 AM, gerigo said:

Ubi bene ibi patria.

Most fakes I've encountered on eBay over the years are quite obvious. And, overwhelmingly, the seller is careful not to make any claims of authenticity; "Luxury MB Fountain Pen" is the preferred description these days. The one authentic (listed as such) Montblanc 149 I bought, proved to be the real deal.

I am curious to know, however, if some of you ever acquired one of those legendary high-end fakes that can fool even experienced collectors, on eBay.

Even though people have had good luck, I avoid eBay for used fountain pens over $100 (plus tax), even though eBay is reasonably good at resolving fake pen issues.   I too have been burned by eBay sellers selling fake pens and the resolution process, while successful, took a fair chunk of my time.  

The two MontBlanc 149s that I bought were from local sellers.  One of them was a retired surgeon who got the pen and associated ink bottle (which he gave to me as a gift and is still half full) in the late 60s as a company gift.  He has since ended up becoming a golf buddy. The other seller, who also sold me a Pelican M800 and a Pelican M130 with 2 spare nibs, was a student at the University at which I teach, and took classes from some of my friends 20 years ago.   I found a little note hidden in the MB 149 box, addressed to his late father, which I had the pleasure of giving to him (and seeing the joy and emotion on his face when I did so).

For these reasons, I enjoying buying noteworthy pens from local sellers, as it enables me to be able to check the pen, and learn of the wonderful stories surrounding each acquisition.....and possibly make a friend.