• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maclink

• Newton Pens

• bunnspecial

• dbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't speak for that specific era, but my 146 (mid-2000's) and my 149 (late 2010's) both lack anything substantial in the cap that I would call an inner-cap. 

I took my 145 cap apart to help answer this question, and didn't find anything that I'd call an inner cap. I don't recall seeing one on other MB caps I've disassembled either.

With that said, I've noticed my MBs in general to have excellent seals despite the lack of an apparent secondary seal/inner cap. I don't make a habit of this, but it's rare that I'll have one of my new(er)-as in 1990s to today-pens not start right up even if not used for a few weeks, or lose any noticeable amount of ink over the same time period.

Just b/c they don't use a separate plastic inner cap doesn't mean they don't have a shoulder for the section lip to butt up against.  That serves the same purpose to seal the nib and keep it from drying out.

I have a 149 in front of me with an inner cap shoulder.  I'm about 99% sure the 146 and others from MB have it as well.  They know what they're doing.

Here's a pic of one of my pens where you can see the shoulder and how the section seals against it.  I thought I had a picture of a cap cut in half but I couldn't find it.  X)

image.png.1c067e0c04a4bb667be145ec2dfbc764.png

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

On 1/26/2021 at 1:05 PM, bunnspecial said:

I took my 145 cap apart to help answer this question, and didn't find anything that I'd call an inner cap. I don't recall seeing one on other MB caps I've disassembled either.

With that said, I've noticed my MBs in general to have excellent seals despite the lack of an apparent secondary seal/inner cap. I don't make a habit of this, but it's rare that I'll have one of my new(er)-as in 1990s to today-pens not start right up even if not used for a few weeks, or lose any noticeable amount of ink over the same time period.

This is my experience as well.  I do wonder if the very fine threading has something to do with this.  The threading on the MB pens behave in a way that is almost unique.  With just a gentle tightening, it's secure and doesn't loosen.  I sometimes wonder how they manage to pull that off since loosening caps are a pretty common challenge for me and some other pens that I have.

41 minutes ago, maclink said:

This is my experience as well.  I do wonder if the very fine threading has something to do with this.  The threading on the MB pens behave in a way that is almost unique.  With just a gentle tightening, it's secure and doesn't loosen.  I sometimes wonder how they manage to pull that off since loosening caps are a pretty common challenge for me and some other pens that I have.

I know I can be accused of being an MB fanboy, but I'm convinced that there really is some "magic sauce" in their caps.

I wear sports coats often, and if I don't have a shirt pocket I usually put my pen(s) I'm carrying in the inside breast pocket. I've had a Pelikan ruin more than one jacket by coming unscrewed and landing nib down. At first I wondered if it was because I was using the "cheap" and small 200 and 400 models, but my M800 does the same thing. I even notice it too in my shirt pocket, although usually the nib at least stays nestled inside the cap.

I'm not picking on Pelikan since I've been carrying an oversize slim Vacumatic Maxima the past few weeks that seems to unscrew, and I've had plenty of other brands do it. I've even seen it on vintage MBs like the 3-42 and 142 I have.

My 145, 146s, and 149s, though, take a partial turn on, seal tight, and stay that way until I pull them out and take the cap off. They don't need to be wrenched down to tighten, and they untighten easily. It's the little stuff like that that really makes me love actually using the pens, even though recently I've had some...discussions...with another member here who seems to have an overt dislike of the brand.

I've become a fan myself and actually thought that I wouldn't.  I've noted the cap security for some time compared to other pens I have, a few as or more expensive than my MB's.  Although I haven't yet disassembled any of my MB's, I have always admired the nib unit and that I can unscrew it without having to grip the nib and feed to do so, potentially causing a nib/feed misalignment.  No matter how hard I try, I frequently end up with inadvertent nib/feed misalignments when unscrewing nib/feed/housing's.  I therefore tend to avoid it, doing so only if there's a problem or if I wish to change nibs.  Metal threading to metal threading for the Classique's body and section. etc. 

When I run an instrument down the inner wall of the cap, there is no step.  I don't see one either.  I initially thought there was one, but I'm not convinced there is one in my classique or my 147's.

On 1/26/2021 at 5:05 AM, bunnspecial said:

With that said, I've noticed my MBs in general to have excellent seals despite the lack of an apparent secondary seal/inner cap.

Newer pen models, at least WE Hugo and Disney both have inner cap. You cannot reach hex screw without removal of inner cap.

No inner cap on any regular pens, such as 146/149/145.

51 minutes ago, maclink said:

Mine is the threaded cap, i.e., the classique - apparently the 145 with the 144 being the snap cap version. 

Oh the 144 is the snap cap.  Okay my image search this morning got me confused then.  X)  Thanks.

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

20 minutes ago, dbs said:

Newer pen models, at least WE Hugo and Disney both have inner cap. You cannot reach hex screw without removal of inner cap.

No inner cap on any regular pens, such as 146/149/145.

Not that I doubted you, but as it so happens I have a Disney in my shirt pocket now, and couldn't help but look.

I had looked at my 146s, 147s, and 149s the other day, and I do feel a "step" in them even without a separate cap.

My 145-149s do all have "bumps" around the top inside of the cap.

43 minutes ago, bunnspecial said:

Not that I doubted you, but as it so happens I have a Disney in my shirt pocket now, and couldn't help but look.

I had looked at my 146s, 147s, and 149s the other day, and I do feel a "step" in them even without a separate cap.

My 145-149s do all have "bumps" around the top inside of the cap.

Disney:

disney.thumb.jpg.3a06f84dd50828a8a8517d3e46081b05.jpg

and WE Hugo.  Both clearly demonstrate the removable inner caps.

we_hugo.thumb.jpg.696fe99579fe010b5dabe98f06c9c49b.jpg