Vacumatic Store Display - Modifying Pen Tray

VacNut

I have been debating whether or not I should modify the pen trays to display Vacumatics. The wood display is untouched, and the trays  look original, including the fabric. It appears the pen slots are spaced to display a pen and pencil set. The problem is there isn’t enough space between the slots and the glass to accommodate any Vac model larger than a standard - but that is only if the clip is turned to one side. I would like to display Vac Max and Oversize in the case, but I would need to plane down the back of the lower tray and replace the slots of the upper trays. Is it better to keep the display original and keep searching for a display? I don’t feel it is appropriate to modify the case just for my purpose, since there is no damage and restoration is not needed.

Please provide your insight and opinion. Suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

414955A9-81C0-4A98-89E3-EA31398CB989.png

EB4E9A1B-1CB5-4C93-9BFC-057F45D79A23.png

B39C0AEB-6B55-43AD-A4D9-53488CCAED7F.png

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VacNut

• Brian-McQueen

• FarmBoy

• ParkerPenGuy

If I understand correctly, you are balancing the value of the display case in its pristine and unaltered state, vs. your desire to be able to use it to display pens for which it was not originally intended. So I ask: does the display case have historical and cultural value, or is it "only" collectable because people are willing to pay for it, possibly competitively at auction? One measure of historical or cultural value is whether any museum would like to have it and to display it. Would such a display be interesting or educational without something like the original pens in it? There may be other measures, I can't think of any at the moment.

Not knowing the answers to my questions, nevertheless I am leaning towards saying it is better to revise and re-use something from the past than to have it empty and unused, unless it is truly a rare object worth preserving in its original condition. You're not planning on making it a travesty by painting it and adding sparkles, you are just re-purposing it to accommodate different pens. I see nothing wrong with that. 

Nice display. How about making new trays to hold your pens and keeping the originals as is.

Ken

How rare is this display model? When is the last time you saw one like it?

Perhaps using a modern display and adding tastefully done custom graphics would be an option?

I'm speaking from the perspective of a purist. :D

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I would opt for a reversible adaptation. For example you could substitute the pen trays storing the original ones.

Alfredo

I have been very singular in my thinking of keeping the case original. The display will have a life beyond the time I own it, so I am reluctant to replace or modify it. That said, it is simply a utilitarian object intended for use; so I appreciate people’s thoughts on adapting the trays to maintain the appearance of the display, which I did not consider but am thankful for the suggestion. The trays have a “Vacumatic” logo and layers of patina/grime, so it would be difficult to replicate the trays with reproductions. Storing the trays and only using the case, is similar to separating siblings. It would also be relegating the trays to the archives, which is counter to their intended use.

I am sensitive to modifying pens or replacing components to enhance their durability or performance  during a refurbishment, but can appreciate why collectors may select to improve the pen. I am likely to plane down the base of the inner bottom tray to accommodate the larger pens and restain the wood to conceal the alteration.

I have yet to fill the display completely with pens. I will load up the trays and see how it looks.

I can appreciate being frustrated by being unable to make use of the case properly. However, if I were you I would make every attempt to NOT modify the case. As you say the case will have a life after you are done owning it and I would hate for collectors to leave it by the wayside as junk because it was “tampered” with.  However it is of course yours to do with as you wish. I might encourage you to maybe look for a different style of Parker Case. I keep a fairly active eye on them on eBay and there’s plenty to choose from. I picked this one up in March. Still need to put in some fabric etc but it makes a nice showcase to rotate displays in and out of. Seem to recall recently a gentleman was selling a similar one out of Wisconsin on EBay if that interests you (may have had additional Vacumatic decals but I can’t remember).

EAB8EFF4-23FD-4394-BE35-345C046CE6F3.jpeg

49 minutes ago, ParkerPenGuy said:

I can appreciate being frustrated by being unable to make use of the case properly. However, if I were you I would make every attempt to NOT modify the case. As you say the case will have a life after you are done owning it and I would hate for collectors to leave it by the wayside as junk because it was “tampered” with.  However it is of course yours to do with as you wish. I might encourage you to maybe look for a different style of Parker Case. I keep a fairly active eye on them on eBay and there’s plenty to choose from. I picked this one up in March. Still need to put in some fabric etc but it makes a nice showcase to rotate displays in and out of. Seem to recall recently a gentleman was selling a similar one out of Wisconsin on EBay if that interests you (may have had additional Vacumatic decals but I can’t remember).

EAB8EFF4-23FD-4394-BE35-345C046CE6F3.jpeg

I have not researched in-depth whether or not this particular case was ever used to display oversized pens. I suspect Parker may have contracted with local fabricators to build a batch of these cases and this particular counter top display was only intended to have other smaller pens. 
I will post photos of the case with smaller pens - although I may need to buy more vac sets to properly fill the case!!😀

Walk away Grasshopper. Just walk away. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

On 1/25/2021 at 4:56 PM, FarmBoy said:

Walk away Grasshopper. Just walk away. 

Now you are just dating yourself with that reference. 😂😂😂😂
We forget that color television used to be a luxury. Don’t even mention black and white tv.

i don’t have enough smaller Vacs pens and pencils to fill up the upper trays, but I like the look. The lower tray is even too shallow to accept a standard size pen. 

01FEA67A-B6AA-4AF9-95CB-BF30AA502934.jpeg

Hello

I see three ways to get to what you want with the case. First would require you to remove the nail that holds the tab and make a tab with a bend in it so the trays lay a little further away from the glass at the top. The second would be to make a tab that fits over the old tab and nail without removing it to do the same thing but if you don’t do it correctly it could come off and let the tray fall open. The last way is to pull the nail and replace it with a longer one that would allow the tray to do the same thing. All three are reversible if you want to.

Good luck

Mark

• 4 months later...

I realize that I am late to the party here, but I have a few ideas.

1. Replace the metal swivel clasps which hold the trays in place with some sort of bracket which lets the tray tilt back farther and accept larger pens.

2. replace the trays with new ones and store the old ones.

3. Leave it alone and enjoy it as it is

4. Leave it alone and sell it to me.

In any case, you should definitely not modify it in any way that is not reversible. 

3 hours ago, Brian-McQueen said:

I realize that I am late to the party here, but I have a few ideas.

1. Replace the metal swivel clasps which hold the trays in place with some sort of bracket which lets the tray tilt back farther and accept larger pens.

2. replace the trays with new ones and store the old ones.

3. Leave it alone and enjoy it as it is

4. Leave it alone and sell it to me.

In any case, you should definitely not modify it in any way that is not reversible. 

I appreciate the offer.

The pins for the trays are slotted into the frame and there is a simple brass tab at the top of the tray and holds it in place. The trays would be partially open, even if the tabs is adjusted.

9B8BDCBD-06EF-468F-9CBA-68634CD2AEB8.thumb.jpeg.93ac72a28bb3e3183c9d7cace1736df3.jpeg

26667A08-97C4-4983-9A73-2AAB6DF72340.thumb.jpeg.f341c09489d2e1ad6ed37ca2f0ae0af7.jpeg

I have put the case aside until I can decide if I want to modify the case. I will leave the upper portion untouched, but I may consider taking the bottom tray to my joiner and shave off 1/8”. Since the case is sloped that should be enough to store standard size pens.

359C90FE-8073-4A2A-9B6E-853E2E654150.thumb.jpeg.964fc50c9475d1200b531069d2fbc1d8.jpeg

FAEB14F7-72B8-4F52-992E-9160CFDEE428.thumb.jpeg.e967b3acbeedb84513afa209fd48ccd9.jpeg

. I don’t have enough junior sized pens to fill the upper trays.

23E183A7-E821-4FC1-9729-892E400E57F3.thumb.jpeg.5424f537c4ad2c509955566e06b84991.jpeg

Minor item. Collectors typically like to show off they pens with the clips facing upward, which is likely how the pens would heave been displayed in the store. 
The trays are too shallow to have the trays facing upward.