Lamy service in the USA - success?

ErrantSmudge

I have a Dialog 3 that recently slipped out of its pen sleeve (gotta love Piano White for being slippery), landed on a hardwood floor, and now has a dented opening.  The mechanism now jams when I try to extend the nib.

I've tried contacting Lamy to determine my options for out-of-warranty service, but I haven't received a response.  I've tried the following email addresses:

repairs@lamyinc.com

lamy-repair@ulbrands.com

and I have also tried the contact form at lamy.com (corporate website), without any response.

Has anyone had success contacting Lamy for service, and how did you do it?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pitonyak

• Bill P

• piblondin

• ErrantSmudge

Yes, I had luck with the first email address back in September and had a 2000 repaired with a quick turnaround. You may also want to try calling one of the Lamy stores--SF or NYC--to see if they have any updated info. 

Thank you, that's helpful.  If all else fails, I can transfer the gold nib (undamaged) to another Lamy pen in my collection, but I'd like to get the pen repaired if at all possible.

Please post what they tell you to do. In November of 2019, my Studio started falling apart. More specifically, there is a metal piece at the base of the body near the nib that works itself loose at least three times a week. Surprised I did not lose it. I stopped using the pen. I received no response from Lamy so I called their New York store and they told me to contact Mr. Nurin. They gave me contact information that was invalid. Lamy proper did not respond to me. I have not used a Lamy pen since. 

I figure that it is time to make a second attempt at having my pen repaired. It seems silly that something so small would be a problem. I am hesitant to just crank that piece tight since it is metal on plastic. Love their pens, but when I spend over $100 for a pen, I like to be able to have them serviced. I believe that there was a change over for addresses around the time I was looking, which is why I waited. Not happy that I received no response from Corporate. 

Based on your post, I dropped an email to repairs@lamyinc.com to see if that yields a response. 

I would get all upset about having trouble finding someone to repair my pen, but I am not convinced that any other big company would respond any differently. Then again, the only other pens that required repair were:

A Pilot Metropolitan that I dropped and destroyed the nib. Pilot does not sell nibs it seems; grumble.

A very old Wahl Eversharp purchased new by my Grandparents. That was easy to have repaired, sent it back to them. 

Oh, and an old pen that needed a new sack that also belonged to my grandparents. Fixed that one myself. It was not as complicated as the Wahl. 

The following information is current as of February 3, 2021. 

In the USA, you can reach Bob Nurin at repairs@lamyinc.com

It looks like my email did not get through because the email server handling email sent to lamyinc.com did not accept email from my email service provider. On a Pen Forum, I expect that y'all don't really care about the why or how that they do this, but, if you do not hear back from them, try to send an email from a different provider. I asked the sys admin for the provider for me to deal with it so that email gets through.

This is the response that I received.

The Lamy warranty covers manufactures defects for a period of two years from date of purchase with a copy of the purchase invoice or receipt.

Please include a copy of your receipt or invoice to access the Lamy warranty.

If your writing instrument is not covered under the warranty, we will contact you with an estimate prior to making any repair. 

You can follow the repair-return instructions listed below.

Please box your pens securely and ship to address listed below. 

It is recommended that you insure and use tracking as we are not responsible for items damaged or lost in transit. 
Please provide a description of your concerns and contact information including: return address, telephone number and E-Mail.
Payment may be made for service and parts by credit card.

If paying by credit card we will contact you when the service is completed.

Regards

Bob

Bob Nurin
Lamy Service Center
4729 E. Sunrise Drive
PMB #406
Tucson, AZ 85718

On 2/4/2021 at 8:48 PM, piblondin said:

One previously needed to include a check for the return postage. Is that no longer the case? 

I was not told that I needed to include a check.

On the other hand, they will first evaluate the pen to decide how much they will charge to repair the pen. After they evaluate they contact you to tell you how much you must pay to have the pen repaired. If I had been able to get in touch with them when the pen broke, then maybe because then the repair would have been free, but, it took over a year for me to figure out how to get a response. Note that I think that the main repair guy (Bob) was moving at the time, so that contributed. The other issue is that the new email address (that I did not have) was dropping email from my email domain. I was told that a computer guru guy did what was needed to fix that but I have not tested. I guess that if Lamy corporate had responded that would have helped, but i have never managed to get them to respond. 

I know that they have my pen in Arizona now, well, the USPS says that they do. I expect that when they get around to it they will contact me about the cost to repair and send it back to me with the option to simply pay for return shipping without repair. 

Bob Nurin has been with Lamy for a very long time....a very long time. There was a hiatus when Bob was not with Lamy. ( I believe when the Lamy distributors were in texas Bob was NOT with Lamy....The Texas distributor for Lamy was horrible in every respect, in my experience)

In my experience he is an excellent repair man....I hope your experience is as good as mine has been with him over the years.

BillP.

Honestly, the only reason I sent the pen is because Bob responded (after we figured out why emails were not received). It is kind of a test. I had given up on Pelikan and it took so long that it is no longer under warranty. With the help of my local pen club, we even figured out what the real problem is. I could have fixed it myself for significantly less than the cost of postage to send it to Bob; but there is always the possibility that we diagnosed incorrectly. I think that a wee bit of blue loctite on the plastic thread would fix the problem, but, I was not absolutely certain that the blue residue on the thread was blue loctite. I figure that since the pen is worth about $200, it was worth having Bob "do it right". 

Hearing your perspective is very reassuring to me, thanks Bill!

coincidentally I just spoke with Bob yesterday afternoon...ordered a couple parts...before the day was over I already had the tracking #.

Honestly, the only reason I sent the pen is because Bob responded (after we figured out why emails were not received). It is kind of a test. I had given up on Pelikan and it took so long that it is no longer under warranty. With the help of my local pen club, we even figured out what the real problem is. I could have fixed it myself for significantly less than the cost of postage to send it to Bob; but there is always the possibility that we diagnosed incorrectly. I think that a wee bit of blue loctite on the plastic thread would fix the problem, but, I was not absolutely certain that the blue residue on the thread was blue loctite. I figure that since the pen is worth about $200, it was worth having Bob "do it right". 

Hearing your perspective is very reassuring to me, thanks Bill!

Bob Nurin called me on the phone today. He said that the blue stuff on my pen was not blue loctite, it was glue ink that got in there. 

Bob completely disassembled and clean the pen. He then used a special adhesive sent to him 10 years ago by Lamy to adhere that section that keeps coming off. Total cost was under $20 + postage. 

So, I thought it was probably blue loctite, but was worried that it would not be. Bob was of the opinion that blue Loctite would have prevented it from coming apart in the future if that was needed. 

Hard to complain about that. The biggest complaint is simply that I could not get in touch with them while it was still under warranty. Hard to complain about the cost of repair though. 

Now I wait for the pen!

That is pretty inexpensive for the repair and cleaning (and the knowledge and the appropriate glue for the repair)...

2 minutes ago, Bill P said:

That is pretty inexpensive for the repair and cleaning (and the knowledge and the appropriate glue for the repair)...

Yes. I was ready to use blue loctite based on other conversations and what looked like blue loctite. I almost did not send it in, but, since the pen has a gold nib and is a fantastic writer, I figured it was worth the trouble after we figured out how to get in touch with them. Just said that it took more than a year to get in touch. Still not happy that Lamy New York gave me bad (out of date) contact information and that Lamy Germany did not respond in any way to multiple contact attempts on their web site. 

Bob Nurin, however, appears to be a gem. 

When Bob finally retires, he will be sorely missed by those of us who have had interactions with him over the years. He is a gem.

On 2/16/2021 at 2:28 PM, pitonyak said:

Bob Nurin called me on the phone today. He said that the blue stuff on my pen was not blue loctite, it was glue ink that got in there. 

Bob completely disassembled and clean the pen. He then used a special adhesive sent to him 10 years ago by Lamy to adhere that section that keeps coming off. Total cost was under $20 + postage. 

So, I thought it was probably blue loctite, but was worried that it would not be. Bob was of the opinion that blue Loctite would have prevented it from coming apart in the future if that was needed. 

Hard to complain about that. The biggest complaint is simply that I could not get in touch with them while it was still under warranty. Hard to complain about the cost of repair though. 

Now I wait for the pen!

Glad to hear you got this sorted. 

• 3 weeks later...

An update

I was able to reach Bob Nurin at his email address, repairs@lamyinc.com.  He responded quickly and asked me to send photos of my dropped Dialog 3.  Unfortunately, the entire front section of the pen is individually fitted, pressed and assembled at the factory, and he told me there is no way to repair it.

I plan to transfer the gold nib to my Terracotta Studio LE, so all is not lost.  But just a word of advice to Dialog 3 owners: don't ever drop this pen or let it fall, because any damage to the front end of the pen cannot be serviced.

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2021 at 6:26 PM, ErrantSmudge said:

An update

I was able to reach Bob Nurin at his email address, repairs@lamyinc.com.  He responded quickly and asked me to send photos of my dropped Dialog 3.  Unfortunately, the entire front section of the pen is individually fitted, pressed and assembled at the factory, and he told me there is no way to repair it.

The first fountain pen that I purchased was a Pilot Metropolitan. I loved the pen, it wrote great and I liked the look. The first week, I dropped it and bent the nib. Pilot said "Sorry, we do not sell replacement nibs". So, same thing, just buy a new pen. Admittedly, for the price, maybe it is not that bad, but, I stopped buying and using Pilot Metropolitan pens. I probably own four and I did try some Chinese nibs purchased off of eBay, but they never worked as well as the original.