Montegrappa Miya vs. Extra 1930

Amused011

Thinking of expanding my FP collection which primarily consists of German pens (Montblanc 149 and 146, Pelikan M1000) to some flamboyant Italian ones. And when it comes to Italian flair - nothing comes close to a high end Montegrappa.

With that in mind, I have two options: to get an Extra 1930 in tortoise celluloid (over a thousand euro), or get a discounted Miya in yellow celluloid/sterling silver combo (around 400 euro on sale). Talking about a local brick and mortar store. Both pens come with two tone nibs, the Extra 1930 is a piston filler I think, whereas the Miya takes a converter.

I am in love with the Extra 1930, but not sure it is worth paying a premium of over 600 euro over the Miya.

Opinions?

3153F370-256B-47C6-9975-9D6B9CE8A857.jpeg

3C3A3791-5F39-4C9B-8326-9DE76A5BCABE.jpeg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amused011

• Namo

• como

• Toll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I purchased the Montegrappa Tortoise 1930 a few years ago. It is a beautiful pen, comfortable and warm in the hand, with a flawless nib. I am very pleased with it and I think it is the more elegant of your two options. All this being said, I am not sure about the Miya, but the 1930 apparently has a ‘captured converter’ and this has raised some concern about reliability and repair. I have had no issues. You can find a separate thread on this particular subject. 

I own a 1930 extra (Black Bamboo) and it's a superlative pen, but it does have a captured convertor of some sort. The ink capacity is not big. 

Are you sure the second picture is a Miya's? The section really looks like a 1930. 

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Toll said:

I purchased the Montegrappa Tortoise 1930 a few years ago. It is a beautiful pen, comfortable and warm in the hand, with a flawless nib. I am very pleased with it and I think it is the more elegant of your two options. All this being said, I am not sure about the Miya, but the 1930 apparently has a ‘captured converter’ and this has raised some concern about reliability and repair. I have had no issues. You can find a separate thread on this particular subject. 

Thanks, I’ll check the appropriate threads.

1 hour ago, Namo said:

I own a 1930 extra (Black Bamboo) and it's a superlative pen, but it does have a captured convertor of some sort. The ink capacity is not big. 

Are you sure the second picture is a Miya's? The section really looks like a 1930. 

Yes, it’s a Miya in yellow celluloid with sterling silver details (the clip, the round section with the Greek symbols, etc.).

I'm very jealous of the price of the Miya.  I'd love a 1930 Extra at some point but in the meantime would happily make do with that Miya at that price!

Several differences between Extra 1930 and Miya:

1. Miya is quite a bit smaller. See size comparison in the Extra 1930 photo thread;

2. Miya has a smaller nib;

3. Miya does not have some of the celluloids offered with Extra 1930 model;

4. Some of Miya's threads are short. If you are not careful, you run the risk of stripping the threads.

The positive is that Miya is a lot less expensive and has an uncomplicated c/c system.

Either way, both Extra 1930 and Miya are beautiful pens. Good luck choosing!

Chatterly Luxuries recently cleared out a bunch of new Extra 1930 pens for $800 USD. I'd rather than that model for the larger nib size. Bryant has a used one right now for $800 but has also had other models based on the same 1930 platform that he may still have around in stock. So unless you really want to buy in person I think you can save a fair amount on the 1930 buying online and you'll have the pen you really want.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I believe I can snap a discount for the Extra 1930 too. Even if I do, the difference in price will still be at least 400 euro. 

Just wondering whether it’s worth it (apart from the size). 

1 hour ago, como said:

Several differences between Extra 1930 and Miya:

1. Miya is quite a bit smaller. See size comparison in the Extra 1930 photo thread;

2. Miya has a smaller nib;

3. Miya does not have some of the celluloids offered with Extra 1930 model;

4. Some of Miya's threads are short. If you are not careful, you run the risk of stripping the threads.

The positive is that Miya is a lot less expensive and has an uncomplicated c/c system.

Either way, both Extra 1930 and Miya are beautiful pens. Good luck choosing!

Thanks, the threads issue seems convincing.

On the other hand, not so sure about the captive converter on the 1930 either.

If I decide to go for the 1930, should I stick with the M size (in stock) or swap it for a B or larger? I like broad nibs, especially on oversized pens that I mostly use for signing legal documents.

Do Montegrappa nibs run true to size, are they flexible or stiff, are they stubbish in larger sizes (like MB for example)?

Thanks

24 minutes ago, Amused011 said:

Thanks, the threads issue seems convincing.

On the other hand, not so sure about the captive converter on the 1930 either.

These are just things good to know, so you will handle with care and give it the least chance to develop into a problem. I have both Extra 1930 and Miya. I have not had any problems but I am very careful with all my pens.

13 minutes ago, Amused011 said:

If I decide to go for the 1930, should I stick with the M size (in stock) or swap it for a B or larger? I like broad nibs, especially on oversized pens that I mostly use for signing legal documents.

Do Montegrappa nibs run true to size, are they flexible or stiff, are they stubbish in larger sizes (like MB for example)?

Thanks

I had a B, with some flow issues which was sent to Monetegrappa. They swapped a very nice M for me. Peter Zanesco at Montegrappa service department was very helpful. I was very happy with their service and speed. My B was not stubby (like some of the MB B nibs). I have the M with diamond prints on it, not the duo-tone Greek pattern. It's not particularly flexible or soft but very smooth with good flow, very pleasant to write with. I would say that my M is true to a European M. My Miya F is more like an M. If you can try before, it would be better. When you buy your pen still under warranty, if you have an issue, please don't try to tinker with the pen yourself. Send it in. Otherwise they might not be able to honour your warranty. Common sense but just thought I would point it out. If not under warranty, repair costs might be expensive. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, como said:

These are just things good to know, so you will handle with care and give it the least chance to develop into a problem. I have both Extra 1930 and Miya. I have not had any problems but I am very careful with all my pens.

I had a B, with some flow issues which was sent to Monetegrappa. They swapped a very nice M for me. Peter Zanesco at Montegrappa service department was very helpful. I was very happy with their service and speed. My B was not stubby (like some of the MB B nibs). I have the M with diamond prints on it, not the duo-tone Greek pattern. It's not particularly flexible or soft but very smooth with good flow, very pleasant to write with. I would say that my M is true to a European M. My Miya F is more like an M. If you can try before, it would be better. When you buy your pen still under warranty, if you have an issue, please don't try to tinker with the pen yourself. Send it in. Otherwise they might not be able to honour your warranty. Common sense but just thought I would point it out. If not under warranty, repair costs might be expensive. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the very detailed and helpful post!

Do you post your 1930 extra? Some of the reviewers online advise against posting (prevention of scratches on the celluloid barrel), but the pen is rather short compared to a MB 149 or the Pelikan M1000. If you do post it, have you noticed any scratches?

Thanks

7 hours ago, Amused011 said:

Yes, it’s a Miya in yellow celluloid with sterling silver details (the clip, the round section with the Greek symbols, etc.).

I ask because it looks a lot like this picture from Chatterley...   it's listed as a 1930 Extra

L1000897-001-copy.jpg

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

11 hours ago, Amused011 said:

Thank you so much for the very detailed and helpful post!

Do you post your 1930 extra? Some of the reviewers online advise against posting (prevention of scratches on the celluloid barrel), but the pen is rather short compared to a MB 149 or the Pelikan M1000. If you do post it, have you noticed any scratches?

Thanks

@Amused011You are welcome. The Extra 1930 is not meant to be posted. The Miya can be posted. I wouldn't post any of them, too beautiful to risk damaging the barrel. I don't post my pens anyway. Extra 1930 from tip of nib to end of barrel is about 12.8cm, Miya 12.2cm. 

11 hours ago, como said:

@Amused011You are welcome. The Extra 1930 is not meant to be posted. The Miya can be posted. I wouldn't post any of them, too beautiful to risk damaging the barrel. I don't post my pens anyway. Extra 1930 from tip of nib to end of barrel is about 12.8cm, Miya 12.2cm. 

Thanks, will have to check them up in person first, hopefully dip test them too.