Recommendation for re-plating removable pen parts?

Paul-in-SF

(Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I did some searching and didn't find anything less than 10 years old.) 

I have a recent vintage acquisition where the cap band is fine, but the clip and clip ring are almost entirely brassed. It is easily removed, and I am interested in having it re-plated if that is possible, or in doing it myself. I have no idea what this costs, nor whether the kits I see for sale are practical for home use and do a good job.

I would be interested in reading anyone's experiences of doing this, or having it done. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul-in-SF

• fabri00

• VacNut

• loganrah

The whole thing about good electro plating finish is in the preparation effort for good results. The plating itself is not too difficult, if the proper steps have been followed and cleanliness maintained.

If gold plating on brass or other, a nickel type base plate coat is highly recommended to create a barrier between the gold plate and base material.

Kits are expensive now for gold plate, the gold is at a very, very high price just now.

Numerous references and methods are on line, many seeming to contradict each other. Use heat /room temperature/ pickle clean etc, etc,  kind of thing.

On experimentation, you will find out what works for you.

Preparation polish and cleaning are paramount.

et

I only tank plate

Edited by eckiethump
For full information

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

If you are doing just the one the best bang for the buck is replace the parts. It isn’t a cheep thing to have done or diy. To get the equipment and supplies you are talking $300.00 to $500.00 on the cheep end. To have it done will be between $50.00 and $100.00. I had a Parker 51 cap done and it was $65.00 at a local jewelry repair shop, it was a harder to find cap that is the only reason I did it. One other thing you need to know is that the plating will be thin and may not last that long. Good luck and if you get it done please let us know what you did.

Mark

Thanks for the information. It's for kind of an obscure pen (Minerva 60) so finding a replacement part doesn't seem likely to me. The plating doesn't have to put up with a lot of wear and tear from me, mostly my pens sit in a drawer or I use them at my desk. I posted about this pen in the Italy forum and you can see a photo there of the current state of the clip.

Are jewelry repair shops even open now? Maybe they would be glad of the job and give me a break on the price. $65 is almost what I (over)paid for the pen. Or I can just learn to live with it, since it's not going to win any other prizes for pen appearance or performance. 

You can contact Greg Minuskin for his advice. I have had him replace gold furniture on the caps and clip. Some results are better than others. Gold tends to work our better than nickel plating. As noted by others on the website, the plating won’t be perfect, and may be noticeable when examined under a loop, but it is an improvement IMHO

13 minutes ago, VacNut said:

You can contact Greg Minuskin for his advice. I have had him replace gold furniture on the caps and clip. Some results are better than others. Gold tends to work our better than nickel plating. As noted by others on the website, the plating won’t be perfect, and may be noticeable when examined under a loop, but it is an improvement IMHO

Thanks for the perspective, I will keep that in mind. 

Depending on where you are and the costs of shipping, the Pensmith in Australia offer replating at what seem like quite low prices. I can't speak to their work myself (I have my first pen being restored by them right now).

8 hours ago, loganrah said:

Depending on where you are and the costs of shipping, the Pensmith in Australia offer replating at what seem like quite low prices. I can't speak to their work myself (I have my first pen being restored by them right now).

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm still making up my mind if it's worth it to do at all, on a pen that I (so far) can't quite get to work right

A good jewellery should offer this service.

I bought a kit some years ago, but cost and results of the jewellery I used recently, are much better.