Pilot Capless/Namiki VP Question

Hello Members:

Does anyone remember or know what was the introductory price of Pilot VP's (Lacquered Brass version) when introduced in the US in circa 1999 or so ?

Were they priced at around 120-150 dollars as of today or were higher or lower priced.

Are we expecting that the current MSRP of Pilot Capless LS of around 400 plus to come down eventually ?

Thank you

VP.jpg

Mohammad Salahuddin Ayubi

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MSA

• weissa

• Chinchy

• Paul-in-SF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got one in 2005, and I think the retail price was $120, but a lot of shops were selling them for $90-$100.... 

Paul-in-SF

I'm pretty sure I was able to buy one domestically (in the US) before 1999, although I can't prove it (partly because I have recently sold it). Did Levenger have them? Also I don't remember what I paid for it. 

Edited to add: Here is a source that suggests it might have been sold in the US as early as 1990 (which tallies more with my memory) and that the 1999 date is when it switched from being Namiki to being Pilot. http://carmenriverapens.com/Vanishing_Point_images/#:~:text=reintroduced in U.S.)&text=In 1994 Pilot Corporation of,soon became a top seller.

BaronWulfraed

My database has my "old style" Vanishing Point dated as 1991 -- I don't have a price for it recorded. The "old style" has the smooth clip/nose-cone transition, the octagonal (or hexagonal) plastic body, and is sized closer to the modern Decimo.

My "new style" Blue Carbonesque is recorded as Sept 2005, for $89 -- it is marked as "Pilot"; the only pen I have marked "Namiki" is a Falcon bought in Jan 2005 (nib code indicates April 2004).

My last Vanishing Point was bought Feb 2016 for $148, plain glossy black (I still haven't determined if that is lacquer over brass, or just plastic "resin"). My Decimo was Jan 2010 for $145 (nib code Nov 2008) -- but that one is a color scheme that at least one site implies was not sold in the US...

The earliest price list I have is from January 2005 which has Vanishing Points priced at $119.95 retail.  Pilot allowed dealers to sell for 20% off.  In 2006 the price went up to $139.95.  If I can find earlier information I'll let you know.

http://i.imgur.com/Bftqofd.png