Aurora 88 Demonstrator Black QC (missing ring below piston knob) and M 18k nib experience

oblique

Hi there!

I have just purchased the above pen new. (The price was right and I couldn't resist, although I'm otherwise partial to vintage pens.) I was quite scared about what I was going to get, given the not always favourable reviews of the nibs.

I haven't, however, expected that the pen might be outright missing a part - please see on the photo.

Do you have any suggestions about how to deal with this? The dealer doesn't have a replacement and I'd much rather ask Aurora to just send me the ring and do the repair myself... 

Otherwise, the build quality is fine, although I noted a bit of sealant/silicone leak that is visible just below the missing ring on the photo (I don't think it shows on the photo, though.)

Thanks for any thoughts!

Now, why do I want to keep the pen? Because the nib is much better than I expected. It is not a nail!!! How to describe the flex is not simple. Let me say it's just a tad more flexible than, say, a Parker 75. Thus it's not greatly expressive, but definitely pleasant for general use, not boring. The pen has good haptics and I really like the shape, too.

demo without ring.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oblique

• Carguy

• Calabria

• fabri00

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, oblique said:

The dealer doesn't have a replacement and I'd much rather ask Aurora to just send me the ring and do the repair myself... 

While that may be your preference, if you're going to make a warranty claim — on a clearly defective product bought new that is missing a part — I definitely would not recommend that course of action, irrespective of whether it means a relatively long lead time during which you'll be without your pen having sent it away to either the retailer or Aurora's head office in Italy, and your opinion on your pen repair expertise.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I understand, I am just worried... I'd hate them to e.g. swap the whole pen with the nib for another I might not be happy with. 

I think Aurora as many other pen manufactures do not sell spare parts to customers but only to repair centers.

But you can easily get the ring if you know someone having a lathe.

I did this for some of my vintage pens, using brass.

18 hours ago, Newton Pens said:

Unscrew the nib and send the pen back.  Tell them to swap the pen for one that's finished, and then put your nib in it when you get it back.

I was thinking of doing just that. But I was afraid they might object - need to see the entire pen for an in-warranty repair...

18 hours ago, fabri00 said:

Try and ask, I hope to be wrong ....

I sent them an email in that hopeful respect today as a matter of fact ;)

I’ve sent my Aurora Optima Demo to Aurora twice because of cracks. They never sent me a new pen - they are numbered - but only exchanged the cracked parts.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

On 1/28/2021 at 12:14 AM, Calabria said:

I’ve sent my Aurora Optima Demo to Aurora twice because of cracks. They never sent me a new pen - they are numbered - but only exchanged the cracked parts.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I have yesterday finally received a response from Aurora, a generic copy/paste email instructing me to send the pen to them in its entirety. I am not impressed by this level of customer service at all, I'd expect a personal response to my query. I don't like the idea of sending the pen to an anonymous "black hole" and waiting for an uncertain (long) amount of time hoping that it will land back in my mailbox eventually repaired, hopefully for free.

I have decided to try to return the pen for a refund instead. The pen itself is very nicely put together, has great haptics, it's fun to look at. Even the nib I could live with: It is not completely rigid, starts readily, writes more like a fine than medium, it's not too wet - good for notes on normal paper. Oh well. It is a lot of money, too, and I'd expect it to be backed up by better customer service.

Just to follow-up: Today, a week after I emailed them, I received another, this time personal response from Aurora. All they said was that they're sorry about any inconvenience and they asked for the serial number of the pen. Alas I have returned the pen for a refund earlier today... In case somebody needs a direct customer service email address at Aurora, here it is: customercare@aurorapen.it

P.S. The Aurora Demonstrator is a damn nice pen to hold in your hands, a very pretty object. I didn't part easily with it and I'd probably keep it had I received it complete. I have quite small hands for a male (surgical glove 6 1/2, I usually reach for M gloves but S fit too, albeit tightly) and (unfortunately) I think thin pens (e.g. P-75, 61) are the most ergonomic for me.

Interesting that you still have the pen in your avatar!

I’ve always wanted this one but never saw it at a price that seemed reasonable.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I'm late to the party, but I have had some relevant experience. Several years ago, I bought a used Optima Sole, and it was missing the gold ring above the section. After looking into various possibilities, I got a very nice response from the U.S. distributor. In short, I mailed the pen to them and they mailed it to Aurora in Italy. I don't remember how long it took to get it back, but is was a few months, as I recall. The repair was perfect. The cost to me was the cost of mailing the pen to the distributor. 

My experience with other high-end Italian pens needing repairs is similar: Slow turn-around but good result eventually. 

David

11 hours ago, dms525 said:

I'm late to the party, but I have had some relevant experience. Several years ago, I bought a used Optima Sole, and it was missing the gold ring above the section. After looking into various possibilities, I got a very nice response from the U.S. distributor. In short, I mailed the pen to them and they mailed it to Aurora in Italy. I don't remember how long it took to get it back, but is was a few months, as I recall. The repair was perfect. The cost to me was the cost of mailing the pen to the distributor. 

My experience with other high-end Italian pens needing repairs is similar: Slow turn-around but good result eventually. 

David

Thank you! You only confirm my feeling / expectations - long turnaround but eventually resolution. Funny they seem to forget a ring now and then...

12 hours ago, Calabria said:

Interesting that you still have the pen in your avatar!

I’ve always wanted this one but never saw it at a price that seemed reasonable.

Well I don't think I will have a nicer pen photo anytime soon ;) It is a beautiful pen, no question. But price is a factor for me, too. Had the pen been perfect, I'd kept it. Now, I can think of all the wonderful vintage nibs I can afford instead...

Aurora’s customer service is fabulous - easily one of my favourite brands. If you contact them they’ll arrange repair - very doubtful they’d touch your nib.

For the record: I have the same pen and absolutely adore it. 

Too many pens; too little writing.

I have an older model of this pen that I bought around 2010. It never gets used, so last year when I was getting ready to sell it, I noticed some hairline cracks in the cap. I sent it to the US Distributor who sent it on to Aurora in Italy. After several months, it came back repaired as good as new! Great 18K stub nib on it so I should probably write with it more.