Recommendations for desk lamp/magnifier for pen maintenance

rkesey

Hello all!

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good clamp-on or desktop lamp/magnifier for working on pens. I currently have a tiny 10x hand-held loupe, which is great for a few things but too strong and awkward for basic tasks, and its depth of field is too shallow. I'm looking for something with weaker (and hopefully variable?) magnification that I don't have to hold. Maybe 3x or 4x with a stronger cyclops lens, if that's a thing? (Apologies if that's not the right term--it's what I'd call the date window on a watch crystal...) Many thanks! (And moderators, if this isn't the right place for this post, I'm happy to move it elsewhere...)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkesey

• judo

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried a lot of different hands-free magnifiers for pen work but don't use any of them since I bought a binocular headband magnifier such as the one shown here

OptiVISOR1_Left2_Small-600x600.jpg

https://doneganoptical.com/product/optivisor/ . I have seen cheap versions from China but I don't know how good they'll be optically? Wearing the headband gives both hands free and you can flip the magnifier up when you want to view at normal magnification. 

"In my early days there were few schools to help us in the pursuit of learning.

If we wanted to climb, we had first to make our own ladders".

Benjamin Brierley (1825-1896),

English weaver and self taught writer/publisher in Lancashire dialect.

16 minutes ago, judo said:

I tried a lot of different hands-free magnifiers for pen work but don't use any of them since I bought a binocular headband magnifier such as the one shown here

OptiVISOR1_Left2_Small-600x600.jpg

https://doneganoptical.com/product/optivisor/ . I have seen cheap versions from China but I don't know how good they'll be optically? Wearing the headband gives both hands free and you can flip the magnifier up when you want to view at normal magnification. 

That looks like a good option, thank you. What power magnification is yours?

First - perfect place to ask.

I use a magnifying lamp all of the time, and do most of my work under it, and have for almost 15 years.  I can not work with the Optovisor/binocular type of magnifier.   With astigmatism, my eyes go nuts, and I get a headache.

I find that the lenses on the inexpensive magnifying lamps aren't very good.  I found a Dazor lamp at an antique shop a couple of decades ago, and have never looked back.  The lenses are very clear edge to edge, with no distortion. You don't appreciate how good they are until you try to use a cheap one.

Dazor made the "floating arm" desk lamps (the type with single tubes, no springs) that  you find all over the place.   Keep an eye open at antique shops and flea markets, or on Ebay.  I've bought them at all three.  I also found one with the flexible arm that I take to pen shows that fits into a standard weighted base for a swing arm lamp.  They aren't cheap, but they are worth the price because of the quality of the lens, and their durability.

Luxo also makes a decent one.  Though not as good as a Dazor, they're much cheaper.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

15 minutes ago, rkesey said:

That looks like a good option, thank you. What power magnification is yours?

I took a guess and ordered the 2.5 magnification (DA-5) and it seems pretty much perfect for me. I wear glasses with prescription lenses and the Optivisor fits very comfortably over them. So comfortable that I forget I'm wearing it and wander off from my workbench and receive odd looks from unsuspecting visitors. The magnifying lamps that Ron is recommending above are probably much better optical quality than the ones I tried and would definitely be worth considering but I'm happy with my headband magnifier for now. 

"In my early days there were few schools to help us in the pursuit of learning.

If we wanted to climb, we had first to make our own ladders".

Benjamin Brierley (1825-1896),

English weaver and self taught writer/publisher in Lancashire dialect.

46 minutes ago, Ron Z said:

First - perfect place to ask.

I use a magnifying lamp all of the time, and do most of my work under it, and have for almost 15 years.  I can not work with the Optovisor/binocular type of magnifier.   With astigmatism, my eyes go nuts, and I get a headache.

I find that the lenses on the inexpensive magnifying lamps aren't very good.  I found a Dazor lamp at an antique shop a couple of decades ago, and have never looked back.  The lenses are very clear edge to edge, with no distortion. You don't appreciate how good they are until you try to use a cheap one.

Dazor made the "floating arm" desk lamps (the type with single tubes, no springs) that  you find all over the place.   Keep an eye open at antique shops and flea markets, or on Ebay.  I've bought them at all three.  I also found one with the flexible arm that I take to pen shows that fits into a standard weighted base for a swing arm lamp.  They aren't cheap, but they are worth the price because of the quality of the lens, and their durability.

Luxo also makes a decent one.  Though not as good as a Dazor, they're much cheaper.

Yeah, I've been wondering about eye strain, too. A floating arm or rolling desk lamp is maybe more what I had in mind, so these are great recommendations--I'll go have a look for both Dazor and Luxo. I've also heard about a brand called Roxter--does that ring any bells? And thank you!

24 minutes ago, judo said:

I took a guess and ordered the 2.5 magnification (DA-5) and it seems pretty much perfect for me. I wear glasses with prescription lenses and the Optivisor fits very comfortably over them. So comfortable that I forget I'm wearing it and wander off from my workbench and receive odd looks from unsuspecting visitors. The magnifying lamps that Ron is recommending above are probably much better optical quality than the ones I tried and would definitely be worth considering but I'm happy with my headband magnifier for now. 

Oh, no question, my kids are going to be merciless if they see me wearing one. Thanks again for the details!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me sort out what I really wanted here. I wanted something I could leave out on my desk as needed, and loved the look of the older desk lamp diopters, and found this old Roxter which does everything I need it to and looks like a robot from the 50s. Thanks, all!

Roxter desklamp diopter.jpg