Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for coming. At 82 dollars, this was the most expensive pen I've ever bought in my whole life. I have never had any pen write as well as this one either. Today was a super special day for me. it was my first day of school at this new place. Well i clipped it onto the little loop on the back of my tie. Of course it somehow became unscrewed, and fell... I'm convinced that if I try to fix it on my own, I WILL get it to write again. I might even get it back to normal, but I really doubt it. If I go that route, it probably won't write anywhere near as well as it used to... I've "repaired," nibs before, but it was minor misalignment on "crappy pens,"buy NOTHING LIKE THIS(by the way they were not crappy pens at all but they were definitely what most people would consider them to be). furthermore this is an extremely special pen to me... I think it is the nicest pen I have ever had in my whole life BY A LOT. I'm never going to get rid of it, so I'd like to fix the nib it came with and not simply go and replace it with a spare one. I'm not particularly excited to fix it on my own, because I understand that this exercise of repairing my nib is going to exceed my level of skill end expertise by several orders of magnitude. my questions are:

am I correct in assuming that this is repairable?

how much do you think this is going to cost if I don't do it myself?

Do you know anybody who strives for excellence that also happens to repair nibs?

I hope you're having a great day so far! as it turns out my day was fantastic except for the part where I ruined my beloved pen' nib. Thank you very much for your time and for your input = )

I am going to be a genuine idiot if I ever use my tie to hold another fountain pen again for the rest of my life.

20210120_210754.jpg

20210120_210453.jpg

20210120_210622.jpg

20210120_210749.jpg

20210120_210503.jpg

20210120_210524.jpg

20210120_210547.jpg

20210120_210549.jpg

20210120_210554.jpg

20210120_210601.jpg

20210120_210603.jpg

20210120_210605.jpg

20210120_210620.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ferocity

• Switala

• es9

• silverlifter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gorgeous DuoVac! Such great pens.

Send it to an expert to straighten the tines; if you try to do it yourself, you'll likely just make it worse.

Lots of people can fix it, it just depends where you are. A few that come to mind are:

* Ron Zorn

* Mark Bacas

* Linda at Indy-Pen-Dance

Just search for US nibmeisters/nibsmiths/nib tuners and you'll find more.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

I understand your frustration and anxiety. This damage is perfectly repairable. The Forum staff will refer you to a master Nib to support you.

✓You two are legendary~!

THANK YOU ❤️!

Switala just seeing your kind words was enough to put me at ease. Same with you SilverLifter you absolute gentleman~! thank you both for your kind words. I'm definitely going to make it up to you both somehow one day THANK YOUUUUUUUUUU ~!

By the way I forgot to say

knowing all this

I am definitely not going to be in a rush to fix it... this pen is 75 years old (from 1946), and I better respect the fact that patience is key here. SO THANK YOU... I am so grateful to be a member of this Beautiful website! I CAN'T THANK YALL ENOUGH~! THANK YOU

15 hours ago, silverlifter said:

Send it to an expert to straighten the tines; if you try to do it yourself, you'll likely just make it worse.

Lots of people can fix it, it just depends where you are...

Perhaps a dangerous question, but -- just out of curiosity -- how the heck could that repair be done without major risk to cracking the tipping material off?  

49 minutes ago, es9 said:

Perhaps a dangerous question, but -- just out of curiosity -- how the heck could that repair be done without major risk to cracking the tipping material off?  

Very, very carefully... 😛

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

The damage is not all that bad, and is repairable.  There's always the risk that where the iridium meets the gold was stressed in such a way that it could break off,  but I've seen nib damage that is much worse.  When it came in the left tine on this one did a 90 degree twist, the right tine did a U-turn.

spacer.png

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

3 hours ago, es9 said:

Talvez uma pergunta perigosa, mas - só por curiosidade - como diabos esse reparo poderia ser feito sem grandes riscos de rachar o material de depósito?  

There are several approaches and steps, first we use our fingers, ask for our nails, watch anvil, hammer coated with leather, sandpaper, micro mesh ... a lot of attention, affection, care, knowledge and a little luck.

Regards.

So is it pushed from the back, twisted with a pair of special pliers, etc.?  I guess I am most curious regarding how you can get the tines perfectly straight without having to apply leverage to the tip.  

2 hours ago, es9 said:

Então, é empurrado por trás, torcido com um alicate especial, etc.? Acho que estou mais curioso para saber como você pode deixar os dentes perfeitamente retos sem ter que aplicar alavanca na ponta.  

This is an example of recovering the nib. It looked like a badly treated fork ... and it was almost finished.

It's a Sheaffer Triumph, desk pen. It arrived among other pens in a batch.

As the pen was in good condition (not counting the nib) I chose to bring it back to life.

But the work was done by one of the best Nibmeister in Brazil, Ricardo from the "Pen Dynasty" to whom I entrust the works that I am not able to undertake.

I already recovered several nibs but from other pens, this Triumph seemed very challenging to me ...

PHOTO-2020-10-04-18-02-32.jpg

PHOTO-2020-10-04-18-02-34.jpg