Jinhao 85 - the premature 2021 Parker 51 copy

WJM

Speaking about Wing Sung 601s, there are any number of nib options. They take the same size toobyoolar nib as the Jinhao 51A and 911s do. Bobby sells packs of them ranging from (IIRC) .5 to 1.2mm. There are also gold-nib options, and Bobby even sometimes offers his own custom grinds (architect nibs and the like). 

I don't know if any of them will go into the Jinhao 85, because mine has been sitting at the local USPS distribution center for a week waiting to be delivered. 😠

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• WJM

• Aysedasi

• Paganini

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Paganini said:

Bobby sells packs of them ranging from (IIRC) .5 to 1.2mm.

My understanding is that they are packs of four identical fude nibs. The line width changes depending upon angle to paper.

0.5 - 0.8 and 0.6 - 1.2

Haven't come any gold nibs for the 601 as yet. Not that I'd buy one.

Add lightness and simplicate.

The Jinhao 85 hood does NOT come off.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

4 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Haven't come any gold nibs for the 601 as yet. Not that I'd buy one.

The whole pen claims to come with a 14k nib; there are also these 12k nibs that claim to be the same as the ones in the Hero 100. Those prices are outside of my risk/reward comfort zone - and if I wanted to spend $80 on a pen, I might as well spend $100 and get that Platinum 3776 I've been eyeing... :) 

They seem to be selling, though, so I guess someone must be buying them. 

@Paganini Thank you. Two gold nibs sold so far.

There's more space on the 601 between the hood and the nib, but I very much doubt that these gold nib exhibit any softness. Gold nail - Steel nail; I'll stick with the steel, until I hear differently

Add lightness and simplicate.

7 hours ago, Paganini said:

Speaking about Wing Sung 601s, there are any number of nib options. They take the same size toobyoolar nib as the Jinhao 51A and 911s do. Bobby sells packs of them ranging from (IIRC) .5 to 1.2mm. There are also gold-nib options, and Bobby even sometimes offers his own custom grinds (architect nibs and the like). 

I don't know if any of them will go into the Jinhao 85, because mine has been sitting at the local USPS distribution center for a week waiting to be delivered. 😠

My flighter 601 has a nib that is gold colored 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

21 hours ago, Paganini said:

The whole pen claims to come with a 14k nib; there are also these 12k nibs that claim to be the same as the ones in the Hero 100. Those prices are outside of my risk/reward comfort zone - and if I wanted to spend $80 on a pen, I might as well spend $100 and get that Platinum 3776 I've been eyeing... :) 

They seem to be selling, though, so I guess someone must be buying them. 

Don't think so, cause Hero 100 never had 12K nib, they are always 14K. Curiously I had all multiple version of the gold nib that could fit a 601, the 14K, 12K, and the 10K , all both vintage or new , and you might not guess it but its the humble 10K which usually come softest , well as soft as the hood allows that is , I call it cushioned style of soft, not soft as in flex.

21 hours ago, drathbun said:

The Jinhao 85 hood does NOT come off.

NO they do not, I tried also, on my 2 samples. Usually the hot bath method work, but this time it do not , that's certainly some industrial strength glue applied. Well lesson learn

7 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

NO they do not, I tried also, on my 2 samples. Usually the hot bath method work, but this time it do not , that's certainly some industrial strength glue applied. Well lesson learn

Mine (finally) came. The hardware seems to be pretty similar to the 911, which is also flooded with epoxy or something. The nib just pulls straight out the front, though, so it's easy to swap without having to disassemble anything. 

7 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

Don't think so, cause Hero 100 never had 12K nib, they are always 14K. Curiously I had all multiple version of the gold nib that could fit a 601, the 14K, 12K, and the 10K , all both vintage or new , and you might not guess it but its the humble 10K which usually come softest , well as soft as the hood allows that is , I call it cushioned style of soft, not soft as in flex.

I remember you saying that; I tried to find one for  awhile, but they seem to be scarce on the Usual Suspects (eBay, AliExpress, etc.) 

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've seen in video reviews of the 2021 Parker 51, the Parker posts nearly as well as the original did, so unfortunately, Jinhao screwed this up. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Estycollector

> These, again just for me, a bit gaudy. 

You mean like that tasteless Waterman Edson Sapphire?

For real, this is one of the best cheap pens I recently acquired. The nib size is just as it should be!

My first impression is that this is one of the best pens I recently acquired. They will stay inked up.

Three pens, three nearly identical nibs (same ink, same paper). The line size depends a little bit on the ink wetness:

Pilot Iroshizuku Bishamonten > Montblanc Black > Waterman Serenity Blue, wetter inks most probably will behave perhaps like an M nib (not the M of wall brushes like Pelikan or Parker Duofold M but Pilot M, e.g.).

PXL_20210305_054126595.jpg

I got a black and gold one awhile back. Whatever ink I first tried was a horrible match. I chalked it up to cheap Chinese nibs and threw it in the drawer. 

Today I inked it up with some old-label PR Velvet Black, and it's terrific. Perhaps still finer than my taste, but it's nice and smooth. I wrote a whole page in my journal to test it, and I was more than happy. 

On 2/15/2021 at 7:01 AM, WJM said:

From what I've seen in video reviews of the 2021 Parker 51, the Parker posts nearly as well as the original did, so unfortunately, Jinhao screwed this up. 

Not nearly as well, actually. It is quite bad.

I bought one out of curiosity but find that I like the pen. The nib was much too fine for me so I pulled it out and replaced it with a small fude nib from Bobbi's store.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

@WJM

> Jinhao screwed this up

If a pen hasn't the function you want, doesn't mean the maker "screwed up".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the suction created when the cap is removed makes the pen burp some ink once in a while, other than that, love the look