Vintage Piston Repair Recommendation

Bounce792

Hello,

I'm trying to find a vintage pen repairer in the US who will work on a piston fill pen from the 50s. The usual vintage repairer I go to doesn't accept piston-filler work, so I'm at a loss on where to go. I've asked in local pen groups but only one amateur was willing to have a crack at it, though I wasn't going to trust such a sentimental pen to him. I'm hoping someone can repair the pen relatively quickly rather than me having to be on a wait-list for months. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

round-letter-exc.png

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bounce792

• eckiethump

• Dione

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Dione said:

Have you asked Ron Zorn Main Street Pens?

No. I haven't. I didn't realize he did piston repairs. Thanks for the tip.

Any other recommendations are also welcome! If there are smaller or less well-known pen repairers, I'm happy to consider them as well. 

round-letter-exc.png

There are so many different styles of piston filler mechanisms and seals, Cork/Neoprene, it would assist anyone from USA, offering their services to know which model of pen it is ?

et

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:41 AM, eckiethump said:

There are so many different styles of piston filler mechanisms and seals, Cork/Neoprene, it would assist anyone from USA, offering their services to know which model of pen it is ?

et

Some sort of plastic seal was used to replace the original cork seal. It's just a regular German piston filler like any Pelikan AFAIK.

round-letter-exc.png

10 hours ago, Bounce792 said:

Some sort of plastic seal was used to replace the original cork seal. It's just a regular German piston filler like any Pelikan AFAIK.

There are numerous styles of piston filler from mainland Europe, admittedly most using cork seals, many like that, designed never to be repaired, and the piston head has to be re-built.

Others, later 1940's onward Pelikan and 19560's onward Montblanc pens, used neoprene type piston seals, which for many years were not available on the open market.

A pen makers name might produce a more active response from US pen repairers, though piston fill pens are not as common from US manufacturers, possibly hence the dearth of replies ?

et

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/