Pelikan ilo Füllhalter (Ilo P475) school pen or pen for the masses?

https://mam.pelikan.com/mam/en/pelikan/products/817820

I guess is popping out this month; any takers?

😋I like the flat top cigar design lines, ink window and formed grip helper. 

€19 which is a close to a couple of Pilot Kakunos or a Platinum Plaisir and a Preppie.

Given my fondness for M200/205 steel, this may be a good buy for a young or old Pelikan fan alike.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peroride

• Bo Bo Olson

• N1003U

• Olya

Top Posters In This Topic

Bo Bo Olson

School pen. A Pelikano.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 1/19/2021 at 3:39 AM, peroride said:

https://mam.pelikan.com/mam/en/pelikan/products/817820

I guess is popping out this month; any takers?

😋I like the flat top cigar design lines, ink window and formed grip helper. 

€19 which is a close to a couple of Pilot Kakunos or a Platinum Plaisir and a Preppie.

Given my fondness for M200/205 steel, this may be a good buy for a young or old Pelikan fan alike.

12 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

School pen. A Pelikano.

My anecdotal evidence (talking to friends with school-aged kids, and observing in office/school supply shops) is that the Lamy Safari seems significantly more popular in the school pen space. I wonder if this is an effort by Pelikan to try to be a little more competitive. I notice the price is also pegged to the level of the Safari.

The Ilo looks good, great find! Apparently available for sale from next month, though some places seem to have it already.

If I understand the marketing material correctly, it has a rubber grip, is slightly ergonomic and aimed at secondary pupils/sixth form/high school.

A school pen, but a more grown up version than the Pelikano is.

I still lament the change in the Pelikano, I am steadfast of the belief if they hadn't changed it any further in looks than what it was in the 1990s it would still be a great classic and more "appropriate" for use by grown-ups in offices and be more popular amongst pupils than the abomination it turnt into.

Turnt into a very childish pen and that's when the Safari completely took over in classrooms (after 2000).

I think part of the Safari's success is that the design never changed and parents who used it happily buy it for their kids, whilst the Pelikano totally lost its identity, esp with the design changes post 2000.

Imo the Ilo will fill a bit of a gap, though Pelikan still needs to offer nicer looking pens in the school segment.

I am looking forward to the release, I intend to buy one, maybe two.

I like the ink window, very reminiscent of the first ink windows in c/c pens (same as in pistons) and much nicer looking and handier than the usual ink windows in c/c pens nowadays!