Hello from New York!

Aelia

Hi folks! I'm from New York and I work in a civil rights organization. In addition to that, I attend law school at night.

During the pandemic, I've been neglecting my archery practice but I have a newfound interest in fountain pens and penmanship! I used to be on this forum as "Aeliascent" but I've lost access to that account after someone hacked into the associated email address. 

I love vintage fountain pens, especially Parker Lady Duofolds or anything Parker for that matter. Maybe the arrow has something to do with it! I also love vintage Japanese pens, especially my 1970s Platinum Higo Zogan (the only vintage Japanese pen I currently own lol). I'll post a detailed review of this pen when I have the chance. I also love modern pens like the TWSBI Vac 700r, and I've been eyeing a yStudio copper fountain pen for a while. 

Happy to be back! 

Edited by Aelia

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aelia

• PAKMAN

• omarcenaro

• mail_snail

Greetings from Pittsburgh!  :W2FPN:

You have come to the right place.  Or maybe the wrong place -- because we are all shameless enablers here: we'll happily help you spend your discretionary funds on pens, inks, paper, repair tools, ephemera, sealing  wax  (and of course seals...).  I also jumped head first into the vintage pen rabbit hole (particularly with Parkers).  I don't have any Lady Duofolds, I don't think, but I do have several Laidtone Duofolds, and a couple of those are Vac fillers.

I haven't 100% gotten used to the new format, but I used to recommend that new people click on the View New Content button, to get a good overview of a range of topics (and to NOT do what I did when I started here -- which was to read the Parker Forum... all of it...; back then it was 175 PAGES of threads and it's a lot larger now).  You can adjust how much/often that refreshes).  And to have a look at the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews forum.

If you're in law school, you're probably doing a LOT of writing.  My best pen for doing research notes is a restored vintage Parker Vacumatic with an EF nib that had the tines opened up a bit so make the nib not scatchy.  Perfect size, perfect weight, holds a lot of ink so you don't have to refill as often, and I can write small but it's still legible.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

22 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Greetings from Pittsburgh!  :W2FPN:

If you're in law school, you're probably doing a LOT of writing.  My best pen for doing research notes is a restored vintage Parker Vacumatic with an EF nib that had the tines opened up a bit so make the nib not scatchy.  Perfect size, perfect weight, holds a lot of ink so you don't have to refill as often, and I can write small but it's still legible.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thank you!! Nice to meet you! The second fountain pen I've acquired is a Parker 51 Vacumatic that I restored! :) It's a great writer! I opened up the tines myself so it writes nice and wet. The vacumatic mechanism is practically magic. 

This is the one: 

Edited by Aelia

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you back as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

8 minutes ago, PAKMAN said:

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you back as a member!!

Thank you!! By the way, is there any chance I can get access to my old account again? Or if not, can we somehow disable it? 

Not sure, our Admin Wimg would have to do it if it is possible. He is neck deep in trying to get everything working on this new version of FPN so it may be a bit before he got back to you. But you could PM him 

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the fountain pen universe from a pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information for you to discover here. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome from Missouri! Glad you are with us!

:W2FPN:

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Welcome! Lots of great information here and even more suggestions to expand your collection. Stay healthy. Cheers, Ozzy

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

Welcome back to FPN! Thank you for your work in civil rights, it is truly needed ❤️ 

💌✍️ Snail mail rocks! 📬 🐌
I am currently on hiatus (too inconsistent)
but I admire those who do!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aelia. Welcome back. I'm a recent newcomer so we would not have met earlier. I was very attracted to your post with your mention of ystudio! I was feeling a bit 'pen shamed' when I fell in love with my ystudio, 'Brassing' but I was so surprised the feel of it I immediately set out to buy a 'Copper'!! It took a while but I was able to order one from a small Pen store in Whanganui, New Zealand, even though they didn't stock them. in the last hour I have received a message saying it is in NZ.

It will be with me in two days time and I am fizzing with excitement!

Very good to meet you and although I can never recommend on matters of personal taste alone, I have had a wonderful time with ystudio and much more to come I'm sure!

btw I have the brass pen filled with' Van Dieman's, Tassie Seasons, Tiger Snake'! An ink that looks looks so much like venom I feel I need rubber gloves!!🐍

Kind wishes and hope to see you around the forums (or fora)

Gary

πTom