Wartime celluloid Pilot info

Fox Point

Would any Pilot people have any model/date/celluloid info on this neat purple+transparent celluloid japanese eyedropper Pilot pen? I’m putting it at 1939 or 1940 due to it being “Pilot”, having the ridged clip, and having a steel nib and chrome fixtures. The nib says “Pilot, made in Japan, Shinever, 3”. Any insight? 

I previously posted about this pen in the repair forum seeking shrinkage help as the cap was loose but the barrel-section threaded mating was correct, but that seems to have mysteriously fixed itself, and the cork packing and nib needed no help at all. 

9B8F827E-980B-42CD-8AC8-81BA7E188591.jpeg

591376D7-F6A9-421F-842D-D668BC79C1DE.jpeg

F17F63A5-0098-4ED7-9AEF-5ABAF5BA0348.jpeg

DAA47C7D-DCEE-4DEB-AC92-05F031622CD2.jpeg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stan

• Fox Point

• mizgeorge

• seven4times

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Postwar pen. Nib has JIS mark that was introduced in 1953. Celluloid too pretty for prewar. 

Anyway nice pen. See if you can have it repaired at a reasonable price. Will need a new cap ring or refinishing and then reinstalled. Seal on barrel need replacement too.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Thanks! 

Stan, did they reintroduce the ridged pattern on the clip after the war? Ah, now I understand the JIS mark comments, reading the mark tip to bottom and right to left! The cap ring is definitely the loudest issue... I’ll keep my fingers crossed re. the cork seal which seems to be functioning, and keep it somewhere ink-safe just in case. It is proving lovely to use even unrestored. 

Do you have a restorer you would recommend for j. eyedropper + celluloid, chrome issues and cap band? 

Mizgeorge, yes the purple is so pretty and I love seeing the cork, threading, ink and nib through the clear parts!

It is a Type 53-R, O-Type filler, made between 1949 and 1953. There are some examples in Lambrou/Sunami FPOJ with a cross-section of the filling mechanism.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Fantastic specific info, thank you! I often think of eyedropper fillers as an older style of filling mechanism but the shut off valve really increases its tolerances so long as the packing material holds. 

Unfortunately the pen has begun smelling quite acidic which has me worried about celluloid decay. I haven’g been able to find any immediate actions to take other than keeping it ventilated and away from UV - would you have any recommendations? I don’t see any signs but the scent is quite sharp and not at all musty. 

Celluloid should smell like camphor. Does it? Try washing the pen in dishwashing liquid. If smell persists, use quality silver polish or Simichrome.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

On 1/19/2021 at 6:58 PM, stan said:

It is a Type 53-R, O-Type filler, made between 1949 and 1953. There are some examples in Lambrou/Sunami FPOJ with a cross-section of the filling mechanism.

Stan doesn't the ribbing on the tail plug indicate P-shiki? I know this was the case for pre-war pens.

FoxPoint,

The large P marking inside the bouy is rare. If I remember correctly this pushes it to a short production period in '52 or '53. 

The blue color is unusual, I've never seen that material. Barrel step down is similar to new balance types. I own a semi-transparent new-balance type that has an oddly hard and dense material. It almost feels like acrylic, not celluloid. I wouldn't worry about the stability of it.

5 hours ago, seven4times said:

Stan doesn't the ribbing on the tail plug indicate P-shiki? I know this was the case for pre-war pens.

FoxPoint,

The large P marking inside the bouy is rare. If I remember correctly this pushes it to a short production period in '52 or '53. 

The blue color is unusual, I've never seen that material. Barrel step down is similar to new balance types. I own a semi-transparent new-balance type that has an oddly hard and dense material. It almost feels like acrylic, not celluloid. I wouldn't worry about the stability of it.

Sorry. Don't have a better answer. I've seen one or two blue pens from before the war and they were not celluloid. Forget acrylic as it was likely not used until after the war.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

On 1/19/2021 at 5:51 AM, Fox Point said:

Thanks! 

Stan, did they reintroduce the ridged pattern on the clip after the war? Ah, now I understand the JIS mark comments, reading the mark tip to bottom and right to left! The cap ring is definitely the loudest issue... I’ll keep my fingers crossed re. the cork seal which seems to be functioning, and keep it somewhere ink-safe just in case. It is proving lovely to use even unrestored. 

Do you have a restorer you would recommend for j. eyedropper + celluloid, chrome issues and cap band? 

Mizgeorge, yes the purple is so pretty and I love seeing the cork, threading, ink and nib through the clear parts!

The ridged pattern on the clip appeared before the war as well, but before the war the clips inserted into the cap (like in the attached photo, left and right), while after the war they looked like your pen, with the clip as part of a washer.

PXL_20210112_162510050.jpg

It should be a 50s P-Shiki, most likely celluloid.  The camphor smell should be the indicator for that. 

Pre-war blue celluloid are extremely rare.  One appears in the Nakazono book, and most likely it's this one R0005878.thumb.jpg.4e9498a04113b6bfac4f47f2093c9670.jpg