Montblanc and Sailor Kiwa-Guro Ink

maclink

Anyone happily using Sailor Kiwa-Guro ink on a regular basis with their MB?

I've been thinking seriously of using a water resistant ink for work and have MB's permanent black in mind but am also thinking of Sailor Kiwa-Guro.

I would not be using my EDC on weekends or if on a couple weeks leave.  Would I need to clean the pen before starting a period of leave and not using the pen.  I frequently leave water-based inks in my pens unused for weeks at a time without trouble.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maclink

• dbs

• JulieParadise

• GOTO10

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used it in my Martele (no ink window) and everything was fine. It dried on the page much faster than the MB Permanent black. 

I find the sailor pigmented inks behave as well if not better than the MB pigmented inks in MB pens.

Sailor pigment ink can only work flawless on my Aurora pen,  the rest, including pilot, montblanc, pelikan, etc, all experienced hard to start or line skipping issue. 

I would also be concerned about discoloring the ink window as well as potentially not being able to easily remove the nib and feed in order to clean it in the event an error was made and that ink was left in there for a while.

9 hours ago, JulieParadise said:

I would be afraid of the ink window, to be honest. Which model do you plan to use it in?

I am considering it for my current EDC, a MB 146.  I tested myself the water resistance of Mystery Black and found it unacceptable.  I wish to use a black or blue black ink with reasonable water resistance. 

28 minutes ago, Dione said:

I would also be concerned about discoloring the ink window as well as potentially not being able to easily remove the nib and feed in order to clean it in the event an error was made and that ink was left in there for a while.

I’m quite fastidious with my more valuable pens and if inked, I use them regularly until empty and flush them out before putting them away for a timeout. 

Of course, one might ask why not MB permanent black? I haven’t seen much testimony about using this ink for extended periods unless flushing every fortnight! 

9 minutes ago, maclink said:

I am considering it for my current EDC, a MB 146. ....‹snip›... I wish to use a black or blue black ink with reasonable water resistance. ....‹snip›... I’m quite fastidious with my more valuable pens… 

I have no idea how much a MB 146 is, or how valuable it is by any other measure. I'd happily put Platinum Carbon Black in the most prized fountain pen in my collection — a Pilot ‘Hannya Shingyo’ with MSRP of ¥100,000+tax — any day, as I've done before for months on end (on a single ≥1ml fill). PCB completely eclipses Sailor Kiwaguro when it comes to being a waterproof permanent ink; I can write with it on laboratory filter paper to label chromatography strips, and it won't budge even when the substrate is completely saturated with water for ten or fifteen minutes (which the chromatography is being done to whichever ink is being tested).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I have no idea how much a MB 146 is, or how valuable it is by any other measure. I'd happily put Platinum Carbon Black in the most prized fountain pen in my collection — a Pilot ‘Hannya Shingyo’ with MSRP of ¥100,000+tax — any day, as I've done before for months on end (on a single ≥1ml fill). PCB completely eclipses Sailor Kiwaguro when it comes to being a waterproof permanent ink; I can write with it on laboratory filter paper to label chromatography strips, and it won't budge even when the substrate is completely saturated with water for ten or fifteen minutes (which the chromatography is being done to whichever ink is being tested).

Thanks for this. A MB146 is not as expensive as your Pilot. 

MB Black Permanent is a beautiful, dark black that works flawlessly on my 149. I flush the pen at any refill, just for security, and in ten months of use it has not stained my window. I like it because it does not bleed through any type of paper, so I can use both size of the leaf as I like.

However, the Black Permanent never dry outs completely... Even after a week or so, in many types of paper it still smudges.

On this respect the Blue Permanent is much better ink. It dries quickly, it works very well with my 149, and it does not smudge and does not bleed through. I filled my pen maybe 5 or 6 times with this blue ink, and had no stains at all on the window.

I may well go with the MB permanent black.  

3 minutes ago, fpupulin said:

MB Black Permanent is a beautiful, dark black that works flawlessly on my 149. I flush the pen at any refill, just for security, and in ten months of use it has not stained my window. I like it because it does not bleed through any type of paper, so I can use both size of the leaf as I like.

However, the Black Permanent never dry outs completely... Even after a week or so, in many types of paper it still smudges.

On this respect the Blue Permanent is much better ink. It dries quickly, it works very well with my 149, and it does not smudge and does not bleed through. I filled my pen maybe 5 or 6 times with this blue ink, and had no stains at all on the window.

Thanks for this input.  I'll likely go the MB permanent black route and see.  When writing particular records at work, I feel a lot better in the security that many yrs from now, if a legal matter arises, my writing will be legible.  Of course, I could use a different pen and ink, but I really have grown to like the MB146 as an EDC.