Jump to content

Like Ebony Purple but a Little More Purply



Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, sharonspens said:

I have a Sailor Wicked Witch of the West; I matched it withBungbox Ink of the Witch (deep purple, almost black). Since I can't find the Bungbox anymore, the other option is Sailor Ink Studio 943. That one might fit your need.

 

Sharon in Indiana

The dark purple to witchcraft association is intriguing.  Is there anything deeper / historical to this theme? The color seems to evoke feelings of nightfall too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DanHD

    33

  • ENewton

    16

  • inkstainedruth

    5

  • Switala

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DanHD said:

Great idea.  I didn't know about this feature even though Mountainofink is my favorite reference site behind VittaR.

 

The feature is on the right-hand sidebar of every page of the site.  Just scroll down to "search by colour" and then choose "purple".

 

She tends to organize her swatches in groups that are fairly similar to each other.

D.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dennis_f said:

 

The feature is on the right-hand sidebar of every page of the site.  Just scroll down to "search by colour" and then choose "purple".

 

She tends to organize her swatches in groups that are fairly similar to each other.

D.

Thanks for the info. Also, for some reason I thought the person doing it was a guy (thanks for setting me straight).  Kelli's work is amazing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I'd give an update.  I'm feeling a little insane for comparing a bunch of inks that are so similar in color.  And I didn't even sample all of the candidates on my list!  Well, for what it's worth see the picture and list below..

 

Bought:
Private Reserve Ebony Purple 

 

Love:
Kwz IG Gummiberry:  Love how it gets darker over time
Kwz Standard Grey Plum:  Captivating gray/purple color
Scabiosa:  Dries down darker too (I think). Similar final color to Gummiberry. 
LAMY Crystal Azurite:  Very bluish but also bright and fun for being on the dark side.  I don't care about the shimmer (would it clog pens?).  In the photo:  What's not like the others?
Sailors sugure:  Great bluish dark purple, very wet

 

Still processing / not sure:
De Atramentis Aubergine
Vinta Mulberry (Ubi)

 

Not my thing:
Robert Oster Deep Purple (too dark, didn't hit my fancy)
KWZ Iron Gall Violet #3 (too magenta/violet)

 

purple_photo.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DanHD said:

Eu pensei em dar uma atualização. Estou me sentindo um pouco maluco por comparar um monte de tintas de cores tão semelhantes. E nem testei todos os candidatos da minha lista! Bem, pelo que vale a pena ver a foto e lista abaixo ..

 

Comprado:
Reserva Privada Ebony Roxo 

 

Amor:
Kwz IG Gummiberry: Adoro como fica mais escuro com o tempo
Kwz Cinza Padrão Ameixa: Cativante cinza / roxo
Scabiosa: Seca mais escuro também (eu acho). Cor final semelhante a Gummiberry. 
LAMY Crystal Azurite: Muito azulado mas também brilhante e divertido por estar do lado negro. Eu não me importo com o brilho (isso entupiria as canetas?). Na foto: O que não é igual aos outros?
Sugestão de marinheiros: ótimo roxo escuro azulado, muito úmido

 

Ainda processando / não tenho certeza:
De Atramentis Aubergine
Vinta Mulberry (Ubi)

 

Não é minha praia:
Robert Oster Deep Purple (muito escuro, não me atingiu)
KWZ Iron Gall Violet # 3 (muito magenta / violeta)

 

purple_photo.jpg

I see you are working hard! This is the way ... but the path only took me to more paints ... laughs !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 4:43 PM, Switala said:

I see you are working hard! This is the way ... but the path only took me to more paints ... laughs !!!

More inks.  I'm frightened 🙂.  I think I'll let these ones percolate for a bit and then hit the remainder of the list (see below).   Thanks again everyone for your recommendations.

 

Diamine minboddos hat (try)
Colorverse Hayabusa (maybe)
Diamine Majestic Purple (too violet)
Domaine Sargasso Sea (try)
Bilberry (try)
R&K Aubergine (out)
Taccia Murasaki (too violet)
Sailor 50 States Colorado (try)
Sailor Studio 750 (try)
Sailor Studio 950 (try)
Private Reserve DC Super Violet (try)
Diamine Amazing Amethyst (try)
Lamy dark lilac (out)
Cult pens deep dark purple (try)
Diamine Damson (try)
L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Bougogne (maybe)
Sailor Kobe Suma Purple (maybe)
Rohrer & Klinger Aubergine (out)
J Herbin Amethyste de l'Oural (maybe)
Birmingham Waterfront Dusk (too black?)
Barossa Grape (try?)
Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng (harms pens)
Diamine Shimmertastik purple pizzaz (maybe)
Diamine Amazing Amethyst (try)
Blackbird starling purple (maybe)
Arabian nights (try)
Krishna silent night sky (maybe)

Diamine billberry (try)

 

Haven't looked online:

Diamine amazing amethyst
Diamine damson is
Noodler's nightshade
Kyo-iro Soft Snow of Ohara (dry)
Akkerman Vorhout Violet
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DanHD said:

More inks.  I'm frightened 🙂.  I think I'll let these ones percolate for a bit and then hit the remainder of the list (see below).   Thanks again everyone for your recommendations.

 

Diamine minboddos hat (try)
Colorverse Hayabusa (maybe)
Diamine Majestic Purple (too violet)
Domaine Sargasso Sea (try)
Bilberry (try)
R&K Aubergine (out)
Taccia Murasaki (too violet)
Sailor 50 States Colorado (try)
Sailor Studio 750 (try)
Sailor Studio 950 (try)
Private Reserve DC Super Violet (try)
Diamine Amazing Amethyst (try)
Lamy dark lilac (out)
Cult pens deep dark purple (try)
Diamine Damson (try)
L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Bougogne (maybe)
Sailor Kobe Suma Purple (maybe)
Rohrer & Klinger Aubergine (out)
J Herbin Amethyste de l'Oural (maybe)
Birmingham Waterfront Dusk (too black?)
Barossa Grape (try?)
Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng (harms pens)
Diamine Shimmertastik purple pizzaz (maybe)
Diamine Amazing Amethyst (try)
Blackbird starling purple (maybe)
Arabian nights (try)
Krishna silent night sky (maybe)

Diamine billberry (try)

 

Haven't looked online:

Diamine amazing amethyst
Diamine damson is
Noodler's nightshade
Kyo-iro Soft Snow of Ohara (dry)
Akkerman Vorhout Violet
 

 

A few comments on your latest list:

  • My samples of Waterfront Dusk were not close to black in any of my pens, but the formulation has changed, so your experience might be different.
  • If you get a nice, saturated line from Barossa Grape, please let me know what pen and nib you used.  I really wanted to love that ink but found it to be very dilute unless applied with a brush.
  • Soft Snow of Ohara is one of my favorite inks.  I did not include it in my earlier list because I thought it might be too muted for your taste.  I understand that some of the TAG Kyoto inks are dry, but I have not found Soft Snow to be. 

I look forward to hearing your observations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ENewton said:

 

A few comments on your latest list:

  • My samples of Waterfront Dusk were not close to black in any of my pens, but the formulation has changed, so your experience might be different.
  • If you get a nice, saturated line from Barossa Grape, please let me know what pen and nib you used.  I really wanted to love that ink but found it to be very dilute unless applied with a brush.
  • Soft Snow of Ohara is one of my favorite inks.  I did not include it in my earlier list because I thought it might be too muted for your taste.  I understand that some of the TAG Kyoto inks are dry, but I have not found Soft Snow to be. 

I look forward to hearing your observations.

 

Thanks for the info ENewton.

 

Right now Shigure is up there.  Trying it in comparison with Ebony Purple in both medium and stub nibs, and it has more subtle / interesting shading.  It's interesting how your opinions change after the initial impressions.  Wow factor vs living with it over time..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Purple enthusiast here. My suggestions:

 

1) Diamine Eclipse -purplish black. Depending on the nib, it shows up as black and more purple in others.

2) Sailor Ink Studio 650 - currently paired with my Wicked Witch of the West, based on recommendations from a Sailor inks and pens group. 

 

I don't know where to find ink of the witch but I keep hearing about it. :)

 

Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, enuhski said:

Purple enthusiast here. My suggestions:

 

1) Diamine Eclipse -purplish black. Depending on the nib, it shows up as black and more purple in others.

2) Sailor Ink Studio 650 - currently paired with my Wicked Witch of the West, based on recommendations from a Sailor inks and pens group. 

 

I don't know where to find ink of the witch but I keep hearing about it. :)

 

Good luck!

 

Thanks for the tips enuhski.  I appreciate your purple expertise.  That Wicked Witch of the West pen looks tempting too 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DanHD said:

 

That Wicked Witch of the West pen looks tempting too 🙂

 

Mine is the one pen I always have inked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Em 25/01/2021 às 12h50, DanHD disse:

Mais tintas. Estou com medo🙂. Acho que vou deixar esses filtrarem um pouco e depois acertar a restante da lista (veja abaixo). Obrigado novamente a todos por suas recomendações.

 

Chapéu diamina minboddos (experimentar)
Colorverse Hayabusa (talvez)
Diamina Roxo Majestoso (muito violeta)
Domaine Sargasso Sea (experimentar)
Boldo (experimentar)
R&K Beringela (fora)
Taccia Murasaki (muito violeta)
Sailor 50 States Colorado (tentar)
Sailor Studio 750 ( tentar)
Sailor Studio 950 (experimentar)
Reserva particular DC Super Violet (experimentar)
Ametista Ametista Amável (experimentar)
Lamy lilás escuro (fora)
Canetas Cult profundo roxo escuro (tentar)
Damson diamina (tentar)
L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Bougogne (talvez)
Marinheiro Kobe Suma Roxo (talvez)
Rohrer & Klinger Aubergine (fora)
J Herbin Amethyste de l'Oural (talvez)
Birmingham Waterfront Dusk (muito preto?)
Barossa Grape (tentar?)
Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng (prejudica canetas)
Diamine Shimmertastik roxa pizzaz (talvez)
Diamina Ametista incrível (tente)
Blackbird estorninho roxo ( talvez)
Noites árabes (tente)
Noite silenciosa de Krishna céu (talvez)

Diamina billberry (tentar)

 

Não procurei online:

Ametista incrível diamina A ametista incrível
diamina é
uma erva
- moura de Noodler Kyo-iro Soft Snow de Ohara (seca)
Akkerman Vorhout Violet
 

 

Você olhou para Diamine Syrah? Comprei há algum tempo porque não encontrei Merlot, tem cores mais terrosas.

 

Tinta Diamine Syrah - 30 Ml Para Caneta Tinteiro

Edited by Switala
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Switala said:

 

Você olhou para Diamine Syrah? Comprei há algum tempo porque não encontrei Merlot, tem cores mais terrosas.

 

Tinta Diamine Syrah - 30 Ml Para Caneta Tinteiro

 

I think the Syrah is on the reddish side of the spectrum.  I think I'll try  it later, but on my obsessed dark purple on the verge of black quest I have to put it on my  wait list.  Thanks for the suggestion though 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2021 at 12:52 PM, ENewton said:

 

Mine is the one pen I always have inked.

Just curious, ENewton, what nib size do you use in your WWotW?  I've got a black 1911 with a medium nib which is probably my favorite pen.  I have a birthday coming up, so I was thinking maybe this might be a gift candidate 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 7:18 PM, sharonspens said:

I have a Sailor Wicked Witch of the West; I matched it with Bungbox Ink of the Witch (deep purple, almost black). Since I can't find the Bungbox anymore, the other option is Sailor Ink Studio 943. That one might fit your need.

 

Sharon in Indiana

Hi Sharon,

Like with eNewton, I was wondering, what nib size do you use in your WWothW?  I know I'm going off the ink topic, but inquiring minds want to know 🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DanHD said:

Just curious, ENewton, what nib size do you use in your WWotW?  I've got a black 1911 with a medium nib which is probably my favorite pen.  I have a birthday coming up, so I was thinking maybe this might be a gift candidate 🙂

 

Mine, like yours, is a medium.  I also enjoy Sailor fine and broad nibs, but I like that the medium is broad enough to showcase an ink while also being practical to use on a wide range of papers.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ENewton said:

 

Mine, like yours, is a medium.  I also enjoy Sailor fine and broad nibs, but I like that the medium is broad enough to showcase an ink while also being practical to use on a wide range of papers.  

Thanks ENewton.  I think I'll go with a medium too.  I was thinking of maybe going down to a medium fine, but I like the juiciness of the medium.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 6:53 PM, ENewton said:

 

A few comments on your latest list:

  • My samples of Waterfront Dusk were not close to black in any of my pens, but the formulation has changed, so your experience might be different.
  • If you get a nice, saturated line from Barossa Grape, please let me know what pen and nib you used.  I really wanted to love that ink but found it to be very dilute unless applied with a brush.
  • Soft Snow of Ohara is one of my favorite inks.  I did not include it in my earlier list because I thought it might be too muted for your taste.  I understand that some of the TAG Kyoto inks are dry, but I have not found Soft Snow to be. 

I look forward to hearing your observations.

 

Just wanted to let you know at I really love these:

Barossa Grape:  I'm just testing with a medium Platinum Preppy, and it writes fine.  I love the way it goes down with a violet tinge and then dries to teal-like gray.  Intriguing.

 

Kyo-Iro #2 Mountain Snow:  I don't know if this is similar (or the same) as Soft Snow of Ohara, but it's a lighter purple but feels almost like a watered down dark purple.  It's like purple's version of Shin-Kai (maybe?).

 

I'm going to load both of the above into stubs to compare further.

 

I had to let GummiBerry go.  It's fascinating to see how it  dries darker, but it remains too violety for me for now.  Also Grey Plum is a lot of fun but maybe a bit dull.  I know I'm going to have to load it up again because I feel it pulling at me, especially to compare with Barossa Grape.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DanHD said:

 

Just wanted to let you know at I really love these:

Barossa Grape:  I'm just testing with a medium Platinum Preppy, and it writes fine.  I love the way it goes down with a violet tinge and then dries to teal-like gray.  Intriguing.

 

Kyo-Iro #2 Mountain Snow:  I don't know if this is similar (or the same) as Soft Snow of Ohara, but it's a lighter purple but feels almost like a watered down dark purple.  It's like purple's version of Shin-Kai (maybe?).

 

I'm going to load both of the above into stubs to compare further.

 

I had to let GummiBerry go.  It's fascinating to see how it  dries darker, but it remains too violety for me for now.  Also Grey Plum is a lot of fun but maybe a bit dull.  I know I'm going to have to load it up again because I feel it pulling at me, especially to compare with Barossa Grape.

 

Thank you for sharing your experience!  Is there any chance of a photo illustrating what you mean by "teal-like gray"?  I have Purple Rock, which goes green on certain papers.  I wonder whether you are alluding to the same effect.  

 

I have no doubt that Mountain Snow is the same as Soft Snow of Ohara.  Ohara is an exquisite village in the mountains about an hour north of Kyoto.  I, too, characterized the ink initially as a purple version of Shin-Kai.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ENewton said:

 

Thank you for sharing your experience!  Is there any chance of a photo illustrating what you mean by "teal-like gray"?  I have Purple Rock, which goes green on certain papers.  I wonder whether you are alluding to the same effect.  

 

I have no doubt that Mountain Snow is the same as Soft Snow of Ohara.  Ohara is an exquisite village in the mountains about an hour north of Kyoto.  I, too, characterized the ink initially as a purple version of Shin-Kai.

Hi ENewton,

I took the following photo of Barrosa Grape which I realize doesn't have the best lighting.  I don't think it captures the effect, and looking at it now, I don't know if it's truely a teal coloring, but I definitely got the distinct feeling of "teal" when I first saw the drydown.

 

Also my new Kaweco Sport with a Caligraphy stub nib wrote like magic with the Barrosa Grape.  Watery shading like Gris Nuage - so much fun!

 

tmp_ink.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now







×
×
  • Create New...