Like Ebony Purple but a Little More Purply

DanHD

On 1/25/2021 at 9:53 PM, ENewton said:

A few comments on your latest list:

• My samples of Waterfront Dusk were not close to black in any of my pens, but the formulation has changed, so your experience might be different.

I have a bottle of an earlier batch of Waterfront Dusk and it's a lot less red than more recent versions of it.  On cheap absorbent paper, it's a grayish dark purple; on Rhodia, it seemed to be more brownish.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanHD

• ENewton

• inkstainedruth

• Switala

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ENewton said:

Oh, I don't know.  I have used it in twenty different pens, most recently my Sailor 1911S.  I tend to like it best in a Japanese medium or European fine.  In a pen that lays down much more ink, there is a loss of subtlety, and a Japanese fine nib doesn't lay down enough ink to display the unique hue.

On the basis of your experience, I will try it next in my Kaweco Sport.  (In that pen, Barossa Grape produced a line I would describe as a pale liver color!) 

Thanks ENewton.  I have a Wicked Witch of the West on order, and I'll put some Mountain Snow in it after it has a good taste of Shigure 🙂

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

I have a bottle of an earlier batch of Waterfront Dusk and it's a lot less red than more recent versions of it.  On cheap absorbent paper, it's a grayish dark purple; on Rhodia, it seemed to be more brownish.

Sigh.  I wish I had bought a bottle.

I bought it when Birmingham still had the B&M store.  I bought it hoping that it would be a better behaved replacement for Noodler's Kung Te Cheng -- only it turned out that wasn't the case. Just not the same color at all.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

I bought it when Birmingham still had the B&M store.  I bought it hoping that it would be a better behaved replacement for Noodler's Kung Te Cheng -- only it turned out that wasn't the case. Just not the same color at all.

I found Kung Te Cheng to be pleasant to use but not purple enough for me.  The first formulation of Waterfront Dusk was purpler and duskier, and hence more to my taste.  The reason I never bought it was that it seemed silly to pay shipping for just one bottle of ink, and there was no way I'd want to buy the number of bottles of Birmingham ink that would qualify my purchase for free shipping.  I wish Birmingham would distribute its inks through one or more vendors who carry a wider range of products.

16 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

The reference is, I think (since it's a North American exclusive pen) to The Wizard of Oz.  Only of course, in the book, the Wicked Witch of the West ruled over the Winkies (whose color was yellow, the way the Munchkins -- formerly ruled by her sister, the Wicked Witch of the East, liked the color blue); and in the old MGM movie, the actress playing the Wicked Witch was given green makeup.  

Ironically, the two *good* witches, in the North and South parts of Oz respectively, ruled over people who liked, respectively, purple and red (but only Glinda, in the South, figures in the original book).  Go figure.

Thanks a lot for the info Ruth.  Your knowledge of the Wizard of Oz is impressive.  Very fun.

I guess I just assumed eveyone knew the Wizard of Oz reference.  My question was sort of a tongue in cheek poking to see if there was any true witchcraft  and/or mystical linkages for people using this dark purple pen / ink.  Writing letters and watching "The Picture of Dorian Gray" while casting a spell or two 🙂

I got my hands on the Sailor Design series 650, 750, and 950.  They're all pretty interesting, but in the context of this thread, the 950 is the one that is the most compelling (for now).  650 is really dark, more of a black/gray with blue/purple tint than a purple (to me).  And the 750 goes more true purple and is similar to Callifolio Violet and Crystal Azurite. Wet, purply and fun.  But I'm not a huge fan of true purple, so I'm not sure I could live with the 750.

As far as the 950, I'm not sure how best to compare it.  It's like a less saturated Ebony Purple.  The picture below is deceiving because it looks the same tone as Ebony Purple but it is truly lighter and more purply on other papers. 

Any input on your favorite of the three numbered Sailors would be appreciated, and if you have something you can compare 950 to.

tmp_ink3.JPG

On 1/30/2021 at 12:36 PM, DanHD said:

Hi Sharon,

Like with eNewton, I was wondering, what nib size do you use in your WWothW?  I know I'm going off the ink topic, but inquiring minds want to know 🙂

On 2/4/2021 at 5:51 PM, DanHD said:

Hi ENewton,

I took the following photo of Barrosa Grape which I realize doesn't have the best lighting.  I don't think it captures the effect, and looking at it now, I don't know if it's truely a teal coloring, but I definitely got the distinct feeling of "teal" when I first saw the drydown.

Also my new Kaweco Sport with a Caligraphy stub nib wrote like magic with the Barrosa Grape.  Watery shading like Gris Nuage - so much fun!

tmp_ink.jpg

On 1/18/2021 at 4:27 PM, DanHD said:

The dark purple to witchcraft association is intriguing.  Is there anything deeper / historical to this theme? The color seems to evoke feelings of nightfall too.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

On 1/30/2021 at 12:36 PM, DanHD said:

Hi Sharon,

Like with eNewton, I was wondering, what nib size do you use in your WWothW?  I know I'm going off the ink topic, but inquiring minds want to know 🙂

Sorry, DanHD - I stopped looking at FPN and missed your question. My WWoW has a broad nib. Might not have been my choice had I bought it from a store, but I ran into someone who wanted to sell hers and offered a nice price. I've been into stub nibs lately, so the broad has actually done me very well!

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

54 minutes ago, sharonspens said:

Sorry, DanHD - I stopped looking at FPN and missed your question. My WWoW has a broad nib. Might not have been my choice had I bought it from a store, but I ran into someone who wanted to sell hers and offered a nice price. I've been into stub nibs lately, so the broad has actually done me very well!

No problem Sharon.  I just ordered my WWoW with a medium, but the broad sure sounds juicy-good.  I've been getting into stub nibs too.  Last night for all purple inks I own I paired up up stub writing with medium - it's amazing how different the results look and also look good together.  Totally different than this topic, but Yama Budo (not really a purple) is crazy out of a wet stub.  

40 minutes ago, DanHD said:

No problem Sharon.  I just ordered my WWoW with a medium, but the broad sure sounds juicy-good.  I've been getting into stub nibs too.  Last night for all purple inks I own I paired up up stub writing with medium - it's amazing how different the results look and also look good together.  Totally different than this topic, but Yama Budo (not really a purple) is crazy out of a wet stub.  

Yes, Yama Budo is pretty amazing. I am a big fan of Iroshizuku inks; I probably have 7-8 of them. I have to force myself to step away from the table sometimes when at pen shows or pen shops so I don't buy more. Best of luck on this purple search!

On 2/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, DanHD said:

Thanks a lot for the info Ruth.  Your knowledge of the Wizard of Oz is impressive.  Very fun.

I guess I just assumed eveyone knew the Wizard of Oz reference.  My question was sort of a tongue in cheek poking to see if there was any true witchcraft  and/or mystical linkages for people using this dark purple pen / ink.  Writing letters and watching "The Picture of Dorian Gray" while casting a spell or two 🙂

Well I grew up with the entire series of books (not just the Baum ones) -- including the one that my mother wrote in the early 1950s and the one that Eloise Jarvis McGraw and her daughter got published in 1963.  

My mother hated the MGM movie, because of course in the book Dorothy really DOES go to Oz; but Mom did like a high school production of The Wiz my parents saw after they moved to New Jersey.  I used to wonder what she'd make of the Gregory Maguire Wicked series, because they're very odd.... :huh:

3 hours ago, DanHD said:

I got my hands on the Sailor Design series 650, 750, and 950.  They're all pretty interesting, but in the context of this thread, the 950 is the one that is the most compelling (for now).  650 is really dark, more of a black/gray with blue/purple tint than a purple (to me).  And the 750 goes more true purple and is similar to Callifolio Violet and Crystal Azurite. Wet, purply and fun.  But I'm not a huge fan of true purple, so I'm not sure I could live with the 750.

As far as the 950, I'm not sure how best to compare it.  It's like a less saturated Ebony Purple.  The picture below is deceiving because it looks the same tone as Ebony Purple but it is truly lighter and more purply on other papers. 

Any input on your favorite of the three numbered Sailors would be appreciated, and if you have something you can compare 950 to.

tmp_ink3.JPG

I just recently got samples of #650 and #943, but I haven't tried any of the other Sailor Studio inks.  

Sailor Shigure and Kyo-Iro #2 Snows of Ohara didn't wow me somehow.  I have an old bottle of PR Ebony Purple, and it's a very dark purple, very slightly red leaning (it's very saturated color but relatively fast drying); I have used it in the Plum Demi 51 at times.

The other inks I haven't tried.

On 1/27/2021 at 3:33 AM, enuhski said:

Purple enthusiast here. My suggestions:

1) Diamine Eclipse -purplish black. Depending on the nib, it shows up as black and more purple in others.

2) Sailor Ink Studio 650 - currently paired with my Wicked Witch of the West, based on recommendations from a Sailor inks and pens group. 

I don't know where to find ink of the witch but I keep hearing about it. :)

Good luck!

Hi enuhski,

Just curious, what is it about the 650 that you like?  Does it feel like a purple to you or do have a different perception of it?  I'm curious about it.  I want to  reject it as too black but I feel like there's something more to it..

I think I had a similar reaction to Shigure but then I had to come back to it.  Part of the learning process I guess..

On 2/10/2021 at 2:13 PM, ENewton said:

Oh, I don't know.  I have used it in twenty different pens, most recently my Sailor 1911S.  I tend to like it best in a Japanese medium or European fine.  In a pen that lays down much more ink, there is a loss of subtlety, and a Japanese fine nib doesn't lay down enough ink to display the unique hue.

On the basis of your experience, I will try it next in my Kaweco Sport.  (In that pen, Barossa Grape produced a line I would describe as a pale liver color!) 

To share with those following the thread what I already wrote to you in a private message, I have now had Soft Snow of Ohara in a Kaweco Sport for several days and have not had it dry out in the nib.  

One possible reason for the discrepancy between my experience and yours is that I keep my pens upright when not in use, allowing ink to drain from the nib and feed instead of accumulating there when the pen is idle.  Another factor could be that my Kaweco Sport has a fine nib while yours has a calligraphy nib.  A third is the possibility of interaction between one ink and the next and/or a difference in our cleaning protocols.  (I flush with distilled water, then soak the nib unit overnight.  A pen flush would introduce other chemicals, although presumably  flushes are designed not to leave residue that would interact with the next ink.)   

On 2/14/2021 at 3:14 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Well I grew up with the entire series of books (not just the Baum ones) -- including the one that my mother wrote in the early 1950s and the one that Eloise Jarvis McGraw and her daughter got published in 1963.  

My mother hated the MGM movie, because of course in the book Dorothy really DOES go to Oz; but Mom did like a high school production of The Wiz my parents saw after they moved to New Jersey.  I used to wonder what she'd make of the Gregory Maguire Wicked series, because they're very odd.... :huh:

I've never read any of the Oz books.  I'll see if I can get one at the library.  Well, I picture a purply sky with the wicked witch and  flying monkeys at some point.  Maybe that's enough of a feel for the purple connection 🙂

On 2/15/2021 at 10:07 AM, DanHD said:

Hi enuhski,

Just curious, what is it about the 650 that you like?  Does it feel like a purple to you or do have a different perception of it?  I'm curious about it.  I want to  reject it as too black but I feel like there's something more to it..

I think I had a similar reaction to Shigure but then I had to come back to it.  Part of the learning process I guess..

Hi, Dan! I actually got the ink studio 650 recommendation from the Sailor Pens and Inks Facebook group. I prefer it to Shigure as I am still looking for a black purple (a bit like Diamine's Eclipse) that will pair with my witch (pen). As for 950, I haven't tried it but your review has got me intrigued and now I want to try it LOL  

16 hours ago, enuhski said:

Hi, Dan! I actually got the ink studio 650 recommendation from the Sailor Pens and Inks Facebook group. I prefer it to Shigure as I am still looking for a black purple (a bit like Diamine's Eclipse) that will pair with my witch (pen). As for 950, I haven't tried it but your review has got me intrigued and now I want to try it LOL  

Hi Enuhski, I really like the 650 but I think I'm sticking with Shigure and Ebony Black because the 650 is too close and I don't want to have too many inks to store.  But  I think it's pretty nice and mysterioso and will probably revisit. 

One thing that was a little disappointing about Shigure was how small a bottle you get.  I guess this is part of their "niche" or "boutique" line - sorry there's probably a more appropriate name.  But I'm used to getting more volume.  It's a cool bottle, and to be honest it'll probably take me a while to get through it, but just the initial perception is "oh, I guess I didn't pay attention to the ml on that one.  Seems small."  In the realm of pricey stuff (e.g. perfume, my other hobby), it's negligible, but just my newbie (sort of) warped perception 🙂  And the Design series seems to be a little more pricey $18 vs $15 for 20 ml.  But then you look at Kon-Peki which is $23 for 50ml and you get the badass bottle too.  Hmmm.  Wouldn't stop me from buying more Sailor "boutique" inks, but just a pause for thought.

I'm still processing the 950.  In a stub it's probably too normal purple for me, but in medium nib, it writes darker and is very wet and smooth going down - love that slick writing look/feel.  I'm still not sure.

2 hours ago, DanHD said:

Hi Enuhski, I really like the 650 but I think I'm sticking with Shigure and Ebony Black because the 650 is too close and I don't want to have too many inks to store. 

So Shigure wins the day!

I am glad to have acquired mine when the ink came in squat 50 ml bottles. 

1 hour ago, ENewton said:

So Shigure wins the day!

I am glad to have acquired mine when the ink came in squat 50 ml bottles. 

Thanks for rubbing it in ENewton 🙂