Like Ebony Purple but a Little More Purply

DanHD

46 minutes ago, DanHD said:

Hi ENewton,

I took the following photo of Barrosa Grape which I realize doesn't have the best lighting.  I don't think it captures the effect, and looking at it now, I don't know if it's truely a teal coloring, but I definitely got the distinct feeling of "teal" when I first saw the drydown.

Also my new Kaweco Sport with a Caligraphy stub nib wrote like magic with the Barrosa Grape.  Watery shading like Gris Nuage - so much fun!

tmp_ink.jpg

Thank you!  Maybe I need to give Barossa Grape another chance.

As for Soft Snow, when it first came out, it wasn't getting very much attention, and in fact a vocal member of this forum wrote in a post, "Tell them add more dye!"  Concerned that what was then my favorite ink might cease to become available, I started looking for a possible substitute but have never found one.   It really is a distinctive ink.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanHD

• ENewton

• inkstainedruth

• Switala

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, ENewton said:

Thank you!  Maybe I need to give Barossa Grape another chance.

As for Soft Snow, when it first came out, it wasn't getting very much attention, and in fact a vocal member of this forum wrote in a post, "Tell them add more dye!"  Concerned that what was then my favorite ink might cease to become available, I started looking for a possible substitute but have never found one.   It really is a distinctive ink.

I like the washed out look of the Mountain Snow.  And like Shin-kai, it is very different in thin vs wide nibs.  At this point Barrosa Grape is my favorite of the two, but I need to write some more with both.  I think the MS will be a creeper 🙂

I am also looking for a dark purple.  I have Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu, which I think is a true purple, and JHerbin Poissiere de Lune, which is more of a wine purple. Neither of them I would consider very dark.  A few that I’ve seen online that look deeper/darker are Diamine Billberry Lamy Dark Lilac, and 50 States Colorado.  I just ordered a sample of Billberry, I will post back when it arrives....

22 minutes ago, Geslina said:

I am also looking for a dark purple.  I have Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu, which I think is a true purple, and JHerbin Poissiere de Lune, which is more of a wine purple. Neither of them I would consider very dark.  A few that I’ve seen online that look deeper/darker are Diamine Billberry Lamy Dark Lilac, and 50 States Colorado.  I just ordered a sample of Billberry, I will post back when it arrives....

Cool, good luck on your quest.  Shigure is my top one now and Ebony Purple is still up there.  I think you'll have to pay some bucks for LAMY Dark Lilac because its out of production.  I haven't gotten samples of Billberry or 50 states yet, but will eventually.   Also the Sailor numbered series look interesting (see list earlier in thread).

I've also morphed into a lighter dusty grayish purple side quest with current contenders  being:  RO Barrosa Grape, Kyo-Iro #2 Mountain Snow, and KWZ Gray Plum.

Please share what you find..

Oh, didn’t know that about the Lamy ink.  I just ordered a bunch of samples of the Sailor Ink Studio ink, one is a cool dark purple, 950.  There was also a warmer dark purple.  They should be here soon...

Hi!

About Diamine Bilberry - I love this color. I used to have samples of it when I was starting out but for some reason I haven't gotten a bottle since then. Is Sailor Ink Studio 943 more black purple than 650? If yes I might buy it! I tried to buy Ink of the Witch recently but it went out of stock quite quickly. Any other recommendations when it comes to Sailor black purple inks for my WWotW would be greatly appreciated! :)

On 2/5/2021 at 12:27 PM, Geslina said:

I am also looking for a dark purple.  

DeAtramentis Black Currant is a very dark purple, nearly black in Fine nibs, and has been well behaved for me.

30 minutes ago, enuhski said:

Hi!

About Diamine Bilberry - I love this color. I used to have samples of it when I was starting out but for some reason I haven't gotten a bottle since then. Is Sailor Ink Studio 943 more black purple than 650? If yes I might buy it! I tried to buy Ink of the Witch recently but it went out of stock quite quickly. Any other recommendations when it comes to Sailor black purple inks for my WWotW would be greatly appreciated! :)

I was thinking of buying Sailor 650 for my Wicked Witch of the West pen.  What about it makes it not optimal for you?

12 minutes ago, ENewton said:

I was thinking of buying Sailor 650 for my Wicked Witch of the West pen.  What about it makes it not optimal for you?

It's actually alright for me, but I'm still looking for something darker. I prefer it to Shigure because it's darker and closer to black, but I was still hoping for something even closer to black purple. 

By the way, I've been looking for samples of ink studio 943 and the ones I've seen give me the impression that the color is closer to blue. I could be wrong though and would love to see actual writing samples of it. 

Edited by enuhski

5 hours ago, enuhski said:

Na verdade, está tudo bem para mim, mas ainda estou procurando por algo mais sombrio. Eu prefiro ao Shigure porque é mais escuro e mais próximo do preto, mas eu ainda esperava por algo ainda mais próximo do roxo preto. 

A propósito, estou procurando amostras de ink studio 943 e as que vi me dão a impressão de que a cor está mais próxima do azul. Eu posso estar errado e adoraria ver exemplos reais de escrita dele. 

I believe that following this link you will get a shorter way to find your ink ...

<https://www.mountainofink.com/blog/purple-ink>

36 minutes ago, ENewton said:

Obrigado por este link útil.

It can be a great tool to search or go completely crazy ....

Just wanted to let you know that all three of these are worthy (to me):

Barrosa Grape

Grey Plum

Kyo-Iro #2 Mountain Snow

I tested them all out in both medium and stub nibs and all three are markedly different in the two nibs. 

The MS did get a little dry in my ECO stub, but then again that pen seems to like to dry up.  Mountainof Inks complained about its dryness too.  But I think for pure color enjoyment, MS is my favorite of the three.  But then again, it's the least readable of the three.  Don't matter, I'm getting it.

Barrosa Grape and Grey Plum are very similar, with GP going down darker from the start, and BG going down more violet and darkening as it dries. 

Sorry, I know I'm a hamster in a wheel on this, but I've added Grey Plum to the photo:

tmp_ink2.JPG

Kyo Iro #2 Mounain Snow has now dried out for me in two different pens after one day of not writing.  It's fallen off of my list..

10 minutes ago, DanHD said:

Kyo Iro #2 Mounain Snow has now dried out for me in two different pens after one day of not writing.  It's fallen off of my list..

That is strange.  I have used Soft Snow for several years now, in a wide range of pens, and never had it dry out.  What were the pens you used?  

3 hours ago, ENewton said:

That is strange.  I have used Soft Snow for several years now, in a wide range of pens, and never had it dry out.  What were the pens you used?  

The two were TWSBI ECO stub and Kaweco Sport Caligraphy stub 1.5.  Granted the ECO might be questionable, but the Kaweco has been performing great with Barrosa Grape - wet and wild :-).

On 1/16/2021 at 7:52 PM, DanHD said:

That's a good idea.  I think I've tried it in the past but will check again

Goulet Pens also has an ink comparison tool on their website. 😃

3 hours ago, DanHD said:

The two were TWSBI ECO stub and Kaweco Sport Caligraphy stub 1.5.  Granted the ECO might be questionable, but the Kaweco has been performing great with Barrosa Grape - wet and wild :-).

Just curious ENewton, what pen(s) does your Mountain Snow ink write best in?

Just now, DanHD said:

Just curious ENewton, what pen(s) does your Mountain Snow ink write best in?

Oh, I don't know.  I have used it in twenty different pens, most recently my Sailor 1911S.  I tend to like it best in a Japanese medium or European fine.  In a pen that lays down much more ink, there is a loss of subtlety, and a Japanese fine nib doesn't lay down enough ink to display the unique hue.

On the basis of your experience, I will try it next in my Kaweco Sport.  (In that pen, Barossa Grape produced a line I would describe as a pale liver color!) 

On 1/18/2021 at 4:27 PM, DanHD said:

The dark purple to witchcraft association is intriguing.  Is there anything deeper / historical to this theme? The color seems to evoke feelings of nightfall too.

The reference is, I think (since it's a North American exclusive pen) to The Wizard of Oz.  Only of course, in the book, the Wicked Witch of the West ruled over the Winkies (whose color was yellow, the way the Munchkins -- formerly ruled by her sister, the Wicked Witch of the East, liked the color blue); and in the old MGM movie, the actress playing the Wicked Witch was given green makeup.  

Ironically, the two *good* witches, in the North and South parts of Oz respectively, ruled over people who liked, respectively, purple and red (but only Glinda, in the South, figures in the original book).  Go figure.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."