Like Ebony Purple but a Little More Purply

DanHD

Hi, first time post here.  I love Ebony Purple and am probably going to buy it, but I'm also interested in something a little lighter.

I've sampled a bunch of purples, and inks like Waterman's Tender Purple, N. African Violet, and Imperial Purple are just too purply.

Scabiosa is too light along with Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikubu.

I love and bought Yama Budo but that's in the magenta range, and I'm thinking purple.

So what would you recommend for a darker purple that still reads purple and is less dark than EP?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanHD

• ENewton

• inkstainedruth

• Switala

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diamine Lavender is the first thing that comes to mind, along with TWSBI Royal Purple (which I liked more than I expected to).

I'm sure I have a couple of others that might fit, but I'm not at the right desk at the moment!

(and welcome btw!)

Have you considered using an Ink Tool like the one at Anderson Pens, to compare Ebony Purple to any other purples you choose?

44 minutes ago, Carrau said:

Have you considered using an Ink Tool like the one at Anderson Pens, to compare Ebony Purple to any other purples you choose?

That's a good idea.  I think I've tried it in the past but will check again

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Diamine Lavender is the first thing that comes to mind, along with TWSBI Royal Purple (which I liked more than I expected to).

I'm sure I have a couple of others that might fit, but I'm not at the right desk at the moment!

(and welcome btw!)

Thanks for the tips.  Both look a little too light / violet for what I'm looking for.  I'm thinking darker purple.

De Atramentis has Aubergine, but it might be a little too far towards the red side of purple for what you want, although it's still definitely purple. Taccia has Murasaki, and Robert Oster has Deep Purple, both of which are more towards the blue end and write pretty dark. Sailor 50 States Colorado is quite a dark purple as well. 

I just did what I should have done before I wrote the above, which is to look at a swatch of Private Reserve Ebony Purple online. It looks like there is some sheening going on there, and none of the inks I mentioned have that. And I can confirm that they are all lighter than Ebony Purple. A couple more that are a little lighter yet: Sailor Studio 750 and Sailor Studio 950. 

Not sure exactly what "too purply" or "a little more purply"means. Try typing "dark purple inks" into google and check out which ones come up. If you're looking for something like Lamy dark lilac Cult pens sell one called deep dark purple and De atramentis have aubergine.

Scabiosa is pretty dark in the pens I've used it in but it still retains a slightly reddish purple in the more lightly shaded parts of the line.

Off the top of my head here are some that I've used and can recommend. You might give them a try: 

• Diamine Monboddo's Hat
  • Diamine Damson
  • KWZ Iron Gall Violet #3
  • Vinta Mulberry (Ubi)
  • L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Bougogne (which appears to be a very close match to the very popular Herbin Poussiere de Lune), but maybe a bit too red-leaning for you (?)

Many dark purple inks will look almost black in a wet pen. You can also tune nibs a bit to vary the flow - it's pretty easy - just be careful. More flow almost always gets a darker shade, less flow lighter.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

Some of my favorites:

• Sailor Kobe Suma Purple 
  • Rohrer & Klinger Aubergine (might be hard to find)
  • J Herbin Amethyste de l'Oural
  • Sailor Shigure 
  • J Herbin Poussiere de Lune
  • Birmingham Waterfront Dusk
  • KWZ IG Violet #3

Both Birmingham and KWZ have additional purples that you might consider.

Robert Oster purples look wonderful in swatches but have disappointed me in use.  Barossa Grape is an example of one that looks as if it might be perfect--I was very excited to try it--but if Scabiosa is too pale for you, Barossa Grape will be also.

You might want to look at this thread for other ideas:

Do share your own discoveries!

Edith  

Thanks folks for all the great suggestions!!  This will keep me happily busy for a while.  I'll let you know what my conclusions are.

3 hours ago, ENewton said:

Some of my favorites:

• Sailor Kobe Suma Purple 
  • Rohrer & Klinger Aubergine (might be hard to find)
  • J Herbin Amethyste de l'Oural
  • Sailor Shigure 
  • J Herbin Poussiere de Lune
  • Birmingham Waterfront Dusk
  • KWZ IG Violet #3

Both Birmingham and KWZ have additional purples that you might consider.

Robert Oster purples look wonderful in swatches but have disappointed me in use.  Barossa Grape is an example of one that looks as if it might be perfect--I was very excited to try it--but if Scabiosa is too pale for you, Barossa Grape will be also.

You might want to look at this thread for other ideas:

Do share your own discoveries!

Edith  

Wow, that's quite a thread Edith, thanks.  I had no idea this was going to lead to so many possibilties 🙂

Also, you could visit Mountainofink.com and select "ink by colour > purple".   There are a lot of popular swatches there, arranged in a grid, so you can compare.

I have a Sailor Wicked Witch of the West; I matched it with Bungbox Ink of the Witch (deep purple, almost black). Since I can't find the Bungbox anymore, the other option is Sailor Ink Studio 943. That one might fit your need.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

12 hours ago, sharonspens said:

I have a Sailor Wicked Witch of the West; I matched it with Bungbox Ink of the Witch (deep purple, almost black). Since I can't find the Bungbox anymore, the other option is Sailor Ink Studio 943. That one might fit your need.

Sharon in Indiana

Right now I have my Sailor Wicked Witch of the West matched with Kyo-iro Soft Snow of Ohara.  Before that was Sailor Shigure.  Originally I had it filled with Sailor Kobe Suma Purple, which is my favorite ink and more like Ink of the Witch, but the body of the pen is bluer than those inks.

My favorite purples are Levenger Amethyst, Akkerman Vorhout Violet and Lamy Dark Lilac. The latter was a limited/special edition ink and is difficult to find. I have a few mililiters is all, that I was given by a friend. But once gone I won't be chasing it down. 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

22 hours ago, dennis_f said:

Also, you could visit Mountainofink.com and select "ink by colour > purple".   There are a lot of popular swatches there, arranged in a grid, so you can compare.

Great idea.  I didn't know about this feature even though Mountainofink is my favorite reference site behind VittaR.