Lamy 2000 stainless steel nib?

Firecrest

Someone is offering a Lamy 2000 at a reasonable price...but says it has a stainless steel nib.  I had no idea they used anything other than platinum-plated 14ct gold nibs.  Is the seller mistaken or is this just me showing off my ignorance?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Firecrest

• carlos.q

• silverlifter

• Namo

Top Posters In This Topic

Either the seller is mistaken (because the nib looks like stainless steel) or the original gold nib was swapped for a L2k compatible steel nib from a vintage pen like a Lamy Ratio or some Lamy Artus.

Firecrest

Thank you.  If it is a steel nib, it defeats me as to why one would swap the original gold.  Thank you for these comments. 

1 minute ago, Firecrest said:

Thank you.  If it is a steel nib, it defeats me as to why one would swap the original gold.  

There is at least one reason: if you damage the original L2k gold nib you could consider replacing it with a more economical vintage steel nib. These are harder to come by but well worth it.

5 hours ago, Firecrest said:

Thank you.  If it is a steel nib, it defeats me as to why one would swap the original gold.  Thank you for these comments. 

These steel nibs are awesome! More rigid than the 14k, finer as far as I know, and really smooth. 

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Firecrest

Thank you.  I am learning...slowly.  So gold nibs aren't always the go-to choice?

5 minutes ago, Firecrest said:

Thank you.  I am learning...slowly.  So gold nibs aren't always the go-to choice?

They are for some but not necessarily for all

Bo Bo Olson

I have '30-60's steel nibs from Osmia, that match anyone's gold semi-flex nibs of the era. Osmia's steel nibs are just as good as their grand gold nibs.

It depends on what era the company made the nib to how much 'flex' it has.....Lamy is a known Nail.....but I've never gotten a 2000, so can't say if it's not as nailish as the Persona or Joy I do have. Had a couple other Lamies and they were nails.....and I don't chase nails.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.