Pilot Custom 74 vs 823 writing experience for long writing sessions

JunkerJorge

It seems to me that if some posters should scroll through or otherwise ignore certain posters, perhaps others should also learn to scroll by or otherwise ignore certain threads.  

If it’s a waste of time to discuss such questions, surely it’s equally pointless to carp about them metacritically.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JunkerJorge

• A Smug Dill

• gyasko

• TheDutchGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, gyasko said:

It seems to me that if some posters should scroll through or otherwise ignore certain posters, perhaps others should also learn to scroll by or otherwise ignore certain threads.  

If it’s a waste of time to discuss such questions, surely it’s equally pointless to carp about them metacritically.  

I'm starting to wonder what the point of the forum is if not to discuss pens? Certainly doesn't make me want to engage much here.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:36 PM, JunkerJorge said:

… wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to the 823. Unfortunately I don't have easy access to a place to try them out. Particularly with current events. Any feedback on how these compare in terms of writing experience

13 minutes ago, JunkerJorge said:

I'm starting to wonder what the point of the forum is if not to discuss pens? Certainly doesn't make me want to engage much here.

Some of us are cautioning that you, as an individual prospective purchaser and/or user, cannot rely on other's subjective impressions and judgment as proxy for your own, including (and perhaps especially) when there is no easy or cheap way for you to try something out for yourself — in which case you'll just have to wait longer and/or travel further for the opportunity to do so, or take a leap of faith and corresponding risk.

As people “in the know” insofar as being aware of where to find factual information or marketing statements from authoritative sources, I'm sure we're happy to “discuss pens” and share that if it is what you seek and just don't know where to look. As fellow hobbyists, people share their first-hand experiences and volunteer their subjective insights in product reviews frequently; but they're not the engine behind a tailored or curated information service for those who want to know specific things without the cost of producing that information through research, analysis and (yes, risk-prone) conjecture. We aren't going to frame things to more closely align with your perspective and preferences as a different user from ourselves, so even though we're all here to discuss many aspects of the hobby — including pens, and the experience of using them — you should not rely on what we say as any sort of substitute for your own due diligence and test-driving a product.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Some of us are cautioning that you, as an individual prospective purchaser and/or user, cannot rely on other's subjective impressions and judgment as proxy for your own, including (and perhaps especially) when there is no easy or cheap way for you to try something out for yourself — in which case you'll just have to wait longer and/or travel further for the opportunity to do so, or take a leap of faith and corresponding risk.

I understand I am asking a subjective question. I also can look at "objective" data on a spec sheet. I'm just saying that as a user asking a question, the responses being "I don't know why people ask these questions" is not very welcoming or inviting to participation. I appreciate the information you gave me and I will drop it at that.

My favored pen was a Papermate Slimline pen. It is what I wrote with for years before I every tried a fountain pen. This means that I am used to writing with pens that are not large. That influences what I like. Also, I spent a lot of time doing math and writing tiny formulas that might run on for a few pages, so I am partial to very fine nibs. I am told that most Fountain pen users have a tendency to prefer wider nibs as they use more fountain pens. 

I am particularly fond of the suggestion that the inexpensive similar pen be purchased and tried at least to see how it holds in the hand. 

I happen to really like my Pilot Custom 74 pen (well, I like the Gold F-Nib, I find the EF nib to be too fine for me). Then again, I also liked my Metropolitan pens and even my Birdie Super-Mini Steel Finish Pilot. Although I like my Lamy 2000, I do not care for some larger heavier pens that I own. 

Work hard to try something similar. If you can find a similar weight, size, and shape. If you lived close by, I would say come on out and try my Custom 74 pen. 

This thread seems to have gone a bit sideways but I’ll add my two cents anyway. For me the 74 is a bit small of diameter and a bit lightweight. Otherwise good and if I didn’t have far far too many totally amazing pens I’d be happy writing with one frequently. I’ve tried to like the 823 and I own two or three of them currently. I do not enjoy writing with the 823. The material is not comfortable for me to hold for long writing sessions and I experience hard starts/ignition failures commonly with the 823. It’s also a beast to clean out. Many people totally love and fawn over the 823, however, so they must be having a different experience. I’d like to try one with a stub/cosu nib but am making no special effort to get one. Earlier on in my collecting, perhaps 10 or 15 years ago the 823 was in the “grail” category. When I got one it did not live up to expectations. For me now in my collecting journey the 823 is pedestrian and I have no need or want to write with them. 

• 2 weeks later...

On the other side I firmly believe the Custom 823 is the best made pen currently on the market, under 1000€ range. I've bought dozens upon dozens of modern pens with varying nibs and they've all failed to impress me as much as my 823 FA. I've recently bought a brand new Montblanc 149 calligraphy (flex) nib and it's just not as good.

I wanted to say this not necessarily to push you into buying one, but to confirm that opinions can be so extremely varying and are very dependent on many things, a lot of them subjective.

I'm afraid you will have to bite the bullet and buy one blindly online, if you want to test it out.

Please keep in mind the 823 is very precisely made. The pen will fill up from the breather hole already, for example. On the flip side, disassemble it and overtighten it a but too much, and the barrel will crack. Not a pen I'd buy used, personally.

Good luck!