Pens related to Israel?

sharonspens

I have been trying to figure out the answer to this question: I have noticed that a number of pen makers do special editions focused on Israel, and these generally seem to be high-end editions. I am curious why this may be the case, or whether I am mistaken about the number of such pens? Are there other countries, or regions, or maybe even religions, that have received similar levels of attention? 

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sharonspens

• Beechwood

• sansenri

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen MB149s with an alternative cap for arab countries, a triangular fineal instead of the Mont Blanc snowcap.

We have also seen pens with Hebrew nibs but that is less to do with a faith or country but a style of writing

I understand that sales of Burgundy MBs were very popular in Israel being preferred to black but I am not aware of pens relating to a Faith other than the Parker Holy Water sprinlers.

Do you have some examples of pens being targetted at the Israeli market?

Type "Israel fountain pen" in ebay search, you'll get lots of examples, mostly Deltas but Omas, Bexley, Stipula, Conklin and Parker are also represented.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

7 hours ago, Beechwood said:

I have seen MB149s with an alternative cap for arab countries, a triangular fineal instead of the Mont Blanc snowcap.

We have also seen pens with Hebrew nibs but that is less to do with a faith or country but a style of writing

I understand that sales of Burgundy MBs were very popular in Israel being preferred to black but I am not aware of pens relating to a Faith other than the Parker Holy Water sprinlers.

Do you have some examples of pens being targetted at the Israeli market?

Oh, I am sorry I wasn't clearer. I don't mean that they are targeted to the Israeli market, per se, but they celebrate Israel. The Delta series celebrating Israel's anniversary, for example. As I write this out, maybe that is what I'm missing - the commemorative aspect of the pen. There are certainly enough pens commemorating US anniversaries/events; maybe I have not noticed others commemorating anniversaries/events of other countries.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

1 minute ago, sharonspens said:

Oh, I am sorry I wasn't clearer. I don't mean that they are targeted to the Israeli market, per se, but they celebrate Israel. The Delta series celebrating Israel's anniversary, for example. As I write this out, maybe that is what I'm missing - the commemorative aspect of the pen. There are certainly enough pens commemorating US anniversaries/events; maybe I have not noticed others commemorating anniversaries/events of other countries.

Aha, I see. I hope that others can help.

Regards

England and China are two such countries. Although the origins of England as a nation lie very far back, there have been outstanding national occasions during the period when fountain pens were being manufactured. Parker noticed the coronation of the current Queen with a 51 and I think also a Duofold or Victory. There will have been other pens to do with Elizabeth II.

The establishment of the Republic of China in 1911 has been commemorated in anniversary fountain pens to my knowledge, and I'd be surprised if the Communist government has entirely failed to notice its own struggle and victory in commemorative fountain pens.

I don't think pens in honor of the founding of Israel are a matter of celebrating a religion, but rather of noticing an event that took place in the twentieth century. As did the bicentennial celebration of American independence, which was noticed by at least Parker and Sheaffer and possibly by other manufacturers.

India became independent in 1947, and I should think a little Web research might turn up fountain pens celebrating one or another anniversary of that event.

I'd also like to imagine some pen manufacturer took notice of the bicentennial of the French Revolution, in 1989, and the centenary of the founding of Italy as a nation, in 1961, though  possibly not. Such pens are issued in relatively small numbers, but they are issued.

Another option would be to try and find a vintage pen made in Israel such as a Katab (Katav)

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

4 hours ago, sharonspens said:

All the ones I mentioned are commemorative pens celebrating the 50th, 60th and 70th anniversaries of the state. I missed a Montegrappa (50th) and the Stipula (55th) is a ballpoint. The blue and white Bexley is the one I remember seeing back when.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thank you all for your comments. I have been wondering about this for a while, but couldn't figure out how to word my question. You've mentioned some that I had not considered.  I am NOT looking to start a collection of commemorative pens representing various countries, but it could be an interesting (and expensive) direction for someone else.

Sharon in Indiana 

Many recurrences, but also traditions, and specific aspects of individual cultures, are an ispiration for special editions. Part is attention to culture itself and part is good old marketing... a reason to sell another pen.

An example with Montegrappa:

The Fortuna collection by Montegrappa sketches in the new Credo series (credo mean belief or faith), dedicated to the three Semitic religions: Domes and Our Father to represent Christianity, Shema Israel to represent Judaism, and Islam Girih to represent Islam.

6 minutes ago, sansenri said:

Many recurrences, but also traditions, and specific aspects of individual cultures, are an ispiration for special editions. Part is attention to culture itself and part is good old marketing... a reason to sell another pen.

An example with Montegrappa:

The Fortuna collection by Montegrappa sketches in the new Credo series (credo mean belief or faith), dedicated to the three Semitic religions: Domes and Our Father to represent Christianity, Shema Israel to represent Judaism, and Islam Girih to represent Islam.

Thanks!

You should also consider that in certain cultures religion has an important place, even when it remains a personal and interior matter (as I think it should be). Another example, the Vatican Museum has issued many commemorative fountain pens in collaboration with several pen makers (Delta, Omas, Marlen, etc.)

Practically the entirety of what's left of the UK pen industry (not much) seems to be some kind of heritage celebration of the national myth – pens named after Churchill or Shakespeare or Dickens, pens made out of old Spitfires or sterling silver etc etc.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

The current gen Wahl Eversharp Decoband had a version for State of Israel 70th Anniversary.  When I went to find it I discovered that they're now part of The Pen Family and the old web site is gone.  But here's an archived link to an old home page that mentions it: https://web.archive.org/web/20181212044726/http://www.wahleversharp.com/

On 1/15/2021 at 10:42 AM, sharonspens said:

There are certainly enough pens commemorating US anniversaries/events; maybe I have not noticed others commemorating anniversaries/events of other countries.

Why other countries? The emergence of Israel as well as the Hebrew language out of non-existence is a miracle in itself and it is to be celebrated. Other countries have been around for centuries and done nothing, but in the span of 50 years Israel did many glorious things. This country is a walking and living miracle. That is my perception as somebody who was born and raised as a Muslim in Egypt (not anymore). 

"I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me." Terence

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

Thank you all for the newer comments on this topic. Some food for thought, yes?

• 2 years later...

I was looking for something about the Delta Israel pen and found this thread. This is my signature pen. It has a nice stub nib which gives crisp signatures on benevolence documents I sign on behalf of a fraternal organization. I love signing with this pen. It always starts immediately the nib is down. My hands are large and a bit stiff, so I appreciate the bulk and substance it feels.

It was made for the 60th anniversary of the founding of the state of Israel. It has all manner of obviously Jewish symbols on it. The colours are an obviously symbolic interplay of white and blue, which I like very much. There is a Star of David inscribed in the nib and  a yod for the clip.

deltaisrael.jpg

13 hours ago, Scrawler said:

I was looking for something about the Delta Israel pen and found this thread. This is my signature pen. It has a nice stub nib which gives crisp signatures on benevolence documents I sign on behalf of a fraternal organization. I love signing with this pen. It always starts immediately the nib is down. My hands are large and a bit stiff, so I appreciate the bulk and substance it feels.

It was made for the 60th anniversary of the founding of the state of Israel. It has all manner of obviously Jewish symbols on it. The colours are an obviously symbolic interplay of white and blue, which I like very much. There is a Star of David inscribed in the nib and  a yod for the clip.

deltaisrael.jpg

That's a really nice looking pen!  I particularly like the blue stripes in the barrel.

I assume "yod" was an autocorrect?  That's a detail on the clip that I suppose many might not even notice.  I think a lot of tribute pens go overboard with their imagery, but this one seems just right.

The shape of the barrel and cap looks interesting.  Does that represent something?

On 4/19/2023 at 11:40 AM, XYZZY said:

I assume "yod" was an autocorrect? 

Oops yad Yes thanks, sorry I missed that