Signature Pen

eclectic2316

2 hours ago, N1003U said:

Typically, as a good rebel, I would have signed “John Hancock”...

Hi N1003U,

When you can duplicate his signature; then you've got it. :thumbup:

- Sean  :D

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• N1003U

• carola

• TheRedBeard

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, corniche said:

When you can duplicate his signature; then you've got it. :thumbup:

- Sean  :D

The exact hand of his signature is another thing, but like his attitude that he wanted to sign large enough so George III could read his name without his glasses.

The second richest man in the colonies behind Bennie Franklin, Johnny 'The Grasping Hand',  started the revolution for for only 15,000 pounds of guns and ammo, a fortune then, owed the British crown 100,000 pounds in smuggling duties. 

The tea tax had been rescinded, when Johnny paid the crooked (stole 15,000 pounds as treasure of Harvard...not prosecuted in it would give Harvard a bad name)) rabble rouser, Sammy 'The Tomahawk' Adams  to get get men drunk on free rum, and dress up in loaned Indian costumes, and throw the tea from the two of the three tea ships at Boston wharf so Johnny could break even with expensive smuggled tea, by destroying his competitors tea supply.

Questions like who told the British there was 15,000 pounds of guns and ammunition out at Lexington? I'd bet a super rich man like Johnny had a man at Lexington, paid to be the trigger man for the revolution. No grasping rich man, was going to throw away the arms of his rebellion with out a bit of insurance.

Everyone who put their name on the Declaration of Independence, left space for the man who paid for it.......he signed it after the war was over and the peace treaty signed...............that's why there was such a big space left for his 'big bold' signature.

Back in the day when most still had B&W TV's, we were taught lies, about his signature....I was taught lies that he signed on the first day.........none mentioned he made much of his fortune was made as a smuggler, nor his tea ship was not plundered at the Boston Tea Party.

Yep, the American Revolt, saved Johnny 85,000 pounds, and he was able to break even with his illegally bought there for more expensive smuggled tea, in tea was no longer taxed.

Do read 'Oliver Wiswell' by Kenneth Roberts written in the '60's. Even he didn't have the whole story. It will give you a different slant to the American Propaganda lies of the First American Revolt.

The book is so well written I kept hoping down to the second to last page the good guys would win.......and not the pewter candle stick robbing rebels.

It was a thrown war, the Generals and Admirals wanted to drag it out so they could get rid of that Liberal Pitt, and put in a Conservative government.

NY City had 100,000 refugees whose house, horse and candle stick had been stolen, and wanted to fight but, were not allowed to do that....it could end the war too soon.

A big deal is made out of the Stamp Tax.....the poor didn't have land to speculate with, to pay sales tax on it..........didn't even have any land to start with....had to be promised stolen Indian land to get them to fight at all.

Not sure if slave sale was taxed....would think so. All colonies had slavery. Which may be why there was such a tem tem, about the Stamp Tax....making slaves even more expensive.

What upset the normal folks of the city's, was having to room and board drunken horny soldiers, in the midst of horrible global cooling; where due to bad harvests, food was very, very expensive. 1785 the Thames froze over....had happened every @20-50 years due to the narrow arches of London Bridges.

Lizzy 1, use to go out and shoot to mark .... a flag stuck in the ice ; in the ice fairs.

Taxation with out representation....what BS, the well to do in the colonies paid 3% tax, the legally representation Englishman paid 8%.

No one actually wanted legal representation, which would have more than doubled the tax on those well enough off to have to pay it. Such a slogan sure sounded good.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 1/22/2021 at 6:12 AM, sgphototn said:

I've signed books.

In that context, my wife's signature pen — actually, pens, because we thought it was a good idea to have one or two extra on standby just in case — at her last book launch were Pilot Plumix pens, filled with purple ink if I remember correctly. Her book was a children's book with a comet theme, and the Pilot Plumix pens are colourful demonstrators shaped like comets, so it was more ‘fun’ for the kids to see her sign in vivid colours with them. They're also relatively cheap and readily replaceable, so if one got broken or taken when she was distracted talking to adults, it'd be no big deal.

Later on, she kept a spare brass Delike Alpha in her handbag as her impromptu book-signing pen, since those pens are small and almost indestructible, so she doesn't need to worry about what else gets thrown into her handbag, or remember to take it out between outings (and she's pretty much a use-the-same-handbag-daily-until-it-breaks kinda girl).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

47 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Everyone who put their name on the Declaration of Independence, left space for the man who paid for it.......he signed it after the war was over and the peace treaty signed...............that's why there was such a big space left for his 'big bold' signature.

Yea, but the legend version of the story sounds so much better. 😀

Does anyone here remember the original question of this topic? ;):) )

All the best is only beginning now...

On 1/15/2021 at 11:13 AM, Uncial said:

I don't think I've ever been to a meeting where anyone has pulled out a MB and set it on a table to 'show it off' or waggled snow peaks in anyone's face. I'm sure some have used them without me noticing. I've seen a fair few Cross, Sheaffer and Parker though but I tend to notice because I like pens. Nobody really comments on pens here and I suspect the vast majority of people never notice what's being used and really don't care. I use MB all the time and for years and years of use nobody has ever passed a comment. It tends to be more brightly coloured pens like Visconti that attract attention and that people think of as 'pretentious' with comment like, 'Oh, that's a bit flash!', and as a result I tend to reserve that type of pen for home use. I guess if you really want pretention though, you've got to go with one of Montegrappa's most hideous creations. But you're really after a non-pretentious pen for signatures only, I'd go with a BIC.

I've never been to a meeting where someone was using a fountain pen......   I clearly didn't frequent a better class of meeting......  ;)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

30 minutes ago, TheRedBeard said:

Touché.

We were looking for a special occasion pen that was nice but not overly flashy, if I am not mistaken...

3 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Touché.

We were looking for a special occasion pen that was nice but not overly flashy, if I am not mistaken...

Perfect :)

2 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

:headsmack: That is narrow minded............it had to do with sable haired signature brushes...eh?

A signature pen, is not IMO, bland. It is some sort of status pen, with the appropriate nib that makes a signature bold. I'm sure one could use an Esterbrook....some are pretty.

I have a simple burgundy Snorkel, made in Australia,  that has the nib....a factory stubb BB in maxi-semi-flex (Commonwealth and English Parker and Shaffer are often semi-flex in they had to compete with Swan's many flexes of nib)...........the signature wouldn't know the difference between that and others. Now if it was a fancy Admiral, or Saratoga or President, then it would be a 'signature pen.'

I have a stubbed BB 146 regular flex..........but my signature pen (doubt if I'll ever use it for it's purpose) is a rolled gold Pelikan 500 tortoise with a 30 degree grind OBB in a maxi-semi-flex nib. It's line is too wide to use it for writing. 2/3s-3/4ths a page for a 15 to 19 letter legal name. Can't use it for anything else.................now to run out and find something to sign with it.:unsure:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 4 months later...
47 minutes ago, Juliet Cyrus said:

1 vote for Wordsworth & Black fountain pen. Beautiful design for various uses. Made from silver chrome, I can honestly say that its elegance is truly unparalleled. Since it is a durable product, it won’t break easily even if you accidentally drop it. This fountain pen is also easy to use. It can write well on the surface of various paper types.

Another piece of cheap Cinese-made stuff under British name? ;)

1 hour ago, TheRedBeard said:

Another piece of cheap Cinese-made stuff under British name? ;)

Rather confusingly, there appear to be dots above the a (Bläck), suggesting a Scandinavian connection, a claim to be designed in the UK, an offer of free shipping to the US (but not to anywhere else) and a fondness for random capitalisation of words evident on their website, not to mention their multiple listings on Amazon. I'm sure @Juliet Cyrus could happily provide us with plenty of links to clarify things, however. 

Please, ignore unless bored down to death and willing to be even more deadly bored yet.

Well, it certainly looks like so. That it has a "Warrenty" on a British site doesn't give much confidence. That everything is "luxury" about the pens, even the box in "luxury leather" for that price, strongly suggests Chinese(PU) "leather". That English is used in an odd way from a British site is appalling. Most of the reviews I've seen are on sites specialized in reviewing "top-X" products on almost anything you search in the Net using standard blurb and promoting less known Chinese brands in between well-known Occidental brands, implying they're on pair and eve higher quality (which I do not argue since I don't know). Their standard pen reminds me a lot of an old Marksman pen I have had for over 25 years, which, once info became available on the Net, seems to have a nib bearing Baoer's logo and that I got for a similar price. Hardly what I'd call an innovative design (although they have other designs, some actually interesting in their web site, which I commend them for).

I do not know and I won't pronounce on something I don't know. It may or may not be.

Sorry if they are legit. But if really British, they should try to distance themselves from the ever more pervasive Chinese scams. They could at least make proper use of English. And try to get promoted in serious sites, not easily detectable mercenary sites. And avoid Oriental grandiose overstatements. That would help build confidence.

If you do not know what I refer to... I've detected a huge invasion of Chinese makers hiring a part-time local "representative" to register a local brand name and then trying to operate as if they were actually fully occidental companies, sometimes buying old, abandoned well known Occidental brand names, usually with grandiose names and advertising (German/Siwss/French/British/US/etc. Super-Duper whatever depending on how they think they can harvest the best reputation).

E.g.: If you've heard of the "publish or perish" academic thingy... I receive about two-ten emails daily from the "Oxford - Cambridge - Harvard -Yale Coalition of World-Class Super-Duper Publishers of Top-Notch Research at the Vanguard of the Forefront of Technology International Global Scientific, Research, Development, Innovation and Advance Journals", or the like, asking for a contribution to an unknown, unlisted journal's second issue for only 1K$ (at my expense, obviously) after a huge discount, or inviting me to an International Global Pan-Galactic Scientific Meeting where I only have to pay my inscription, travel and stay expenses as a honoured guest if I submit anything and convince 10-20 colleagues to also attend, and where I will meet the "elite" of the World and a large part of it its outward suburbs. All of them from an email address in an occidental country, sometimes lickily signed by an occidentally-named person (when they have realized it looks better) who is totally unknown even in their own home, claiming to be a "Wolrd Calsss" company and extensively kotowing, grandiosely calling me the most sugary and hyper-mega-super excellent things and promising the highest success in my career if I obligue and give them my money for nothing. Kinda the "Nominations" I keep -so I not forget and can warn students- in front of me nominating me among the "2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century", "Educator of the Year" and so on... by a grandiose named "Foundation" from Cambridge, Oxford or the like, and offering me for a "low" price a plaque and listing book so I can show it off in my office to credulous passers-by (as if I could find any who wouldn't laugh in this environment).

Those pens may actually be great. Much like a Jinhao. I won't discuss it. And they certainly have some interesting designs.

But given this new wealth of wannabees (or of scammers, at your choice) I would strongly advice any serious new company to be more careful with the image they project.

My apologies for the long rant. Seriously needed to get that out. Ah... much better now.

Note added: I have re-read the text and found several typos. I'm leaving them this time in accordance with the matter addressed.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

8 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Rather confusingly, there appear to be dots above the a (Bläck), suggesting a Scandinavian connection, a claim to be designed in the UK, an offer of free shipping to the US (but not to anywhere else) and a fondness for random capitalisation of words evident on their website, not to mention their multiple listings on Amazon. I'm sure @Juliet Cyrus could happily provide us with plenty of links to clarify things, however. 

I have seen those pens on Amazon, but there is no umlaut over "a" in its name there, so I have not noticed that. 

The company behind this name is 4-year old small loss-making one registered in England.

At a glance, I have found no evidence the company has any manufacturing in the UK. 

Based on low price I guess it is the case I mentioned. 

Silver-chrome.:gaah::wallbash::crybaby:

Well the first or second fountain pen I bought on Ebay was a Waterman chrome plated Graduate.  With in a week of having it I put it back on ebay, it was a finger print trap.

That cured me of the Chrome nightmare.

I did not care for fingerprint smudges all over the pen, no matter how often I wiped it.

So be aware, chrome or 'silver-chrome' pens will show your finger prints all over it.

Once you notice that, the easier it is to see them, and the more they matter.

Fingerprints?  Yikes!  Wondering now if that could be a way to steal someone's ID.  

Of course the answer is to let a pen like that get dusty.  I learned by bitter experience (when our old house was broken into while we were at the movies one night) that it's really difficult to get fingerprints off of dusty surfaces (and also off of wood-grain surfaces).

But this is also why I'm amused by the push for stainless steel appliances for your kitchen -- the stainless steel fridge costs way more, but doesn't work any better, and you spend all your time wiping unsightly fingerprints off the doors.  (Our appliances are black, which was LESS expensive than white, with the exception of the range top (which is semi-professional grade -- 6 burners, with the two center ones designed for larger pot; and of course the professional grade hood that had to go over it).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My ice making fridge is fake metal gray, so is fingerprint proof.

The chromed or stainless steel toaster is the corner more or less out of the way and sight. Stove is that industrial gray except for the black glass top. Black Labrador granite counters, the wood is some European wood I've forgotten, but like a cross between maple and birch with a touch of cinnamon. Water cooker Kitchen Aid candy apple red....microwave and toaster waiting for an up grade into that color.

Far corner a '30's Max Roessler 24"x20"x7" oak cabinet with ceramic spice and food containers. Roessler brand mark work is with three little red roses in some decoration. He did other fine work with other designs also.My wife has my permission to buy any Max Roessler items she wants with out me saying a word..........luckily we ran out of space early.

She does have a large porcelain collection.

Picture from Ebay, mine lacks the top white border and has a nice door with more shelves.

Roessler has some great early to late Art Deco pieces; tea pots, cookie jars and all sorts of then solid middle class kitchen items....many prettier than the bigger names. Lots still modern.

Max Roessler lost both sons in WW1, so when he died early mid '30's he left his faculty to his workers and the Nazi's stole it from them.....oddly the factory went broke quickly.

The picture narrows it too much...clicking it on will show it in real size. Bild 1 - Max Roesler Rodach Schüttenschrank Schüttenregal blaue Schrift

The whole apartment is that dratted one yard too narrow, in the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. ...but was 75 G's cheaper than my max, and 55 cheaper than original asking price. The old owner had just built a house and there was a dead market in housing......timing is everything. And my wife had learned to bargain while on vacation in Egypt. :rolleyes:

image.png

On 6/4/2021 at 7:57 AM, txomsy said:

inviting me to an International Global Pan-Galactic Scientific Meeting where I only have to pay my inscription, travel and stay expenses as a honoured guest if I submit anything and convince 10-20 colleagues to also attend, and where I will meet the "elite" of the World and a large part of it its outward suburbs. All of them from an email address in an occidental country, sometimes lickily signed by an occidentally-named person (when they have realized it looks better) who is totally unknown even in their own home, claiming to be a "Wolrd Calsss" company and extensively kotowing, grandiosely calling me the most sugary and hyper-mega-super excellent things and promising the highest success in my career if I obligue and give them my money for nothing. Kinda the "Nominations" I keep -so I not forget and can warn students- in front of me nominating me among the "2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century", "Educator of the Year" and so on... by a grandiose named "Foundation" from Cambridge, Oxford or the like, and offering me for a "low" price a plaque and listing book so I can show it off in my office to credulous passers-by (as if I could find any who wouldn't laugh in this environment).

Back when I was in graduate school, I was president of our department graduate school student association, and our big event every year was the "Derby Lecture." We would host one speaker a year, and our criteria was either someone who had one a Nobel prize or a prominent Chemist who we thought deserved to win one. To the second point, in the ~40+ years the series had been running, we had ~26 different Nobel Laureates, as well as two who spoke before winning a Nobel prize(Bob Grubbs was one...don't remember the other). They'd come in, of course all expenses paid, and we'd only offer a small honorarium-much smaller than I'm sure a lot of these folks normally get-but with the big dangling carrot of taking them to the Derby.

When I sent letters-and I sent a bunch in the two years I was involved as we'd generally get a couple of rejections before someone came(Bob Curl was the first we asked the year he came, but we had some in-department connections and he'd committed before being formally invited). I would send a snail-mail letter on University letterhead, which I thought added an air of legitimacy to it.

Still, though, I always was afraid that we'd come across as being one of the less-than-reputable conferences of which you speak and get rejected offhand because of that. I think our one advantage was our track record-I know Marty Chalfie, in a conversation over breakfast one morning, told me that he was in touch regularly with a bunch of other Nobel Laureates including some others that we'd invited and that they'd often run the legitimacy of invitations past others before accepting-but I was still afraid of it.

Reputation needs not be that important. I'm very, very far from being hardly known or having any relevance at all; but I haven't hesitated going on my budget to remote (sometimes risky) places if I felt there was a real, legit interest and utility. It is truth that makes the difference.

As for chrome... odd, I have not found that issue to be a problem. Maybe because I tend to favor matte finishes, but even when not...

Actually, I just took the MB Noblesse off my shirt pocket. This one has a mirror chrome finish (maybe that's the Slimline? --never know), and I would feel pressed to notice fingerprints on it. Keep in mind my aged eyesight, but even so... yet, scratches... that's a different story.

I do also have a dishwasher machine. In chrome finish. Oddly, it is a Bosh with "anti-fingerprint" (or "fingerprint resistant" "technology". For whatever that may mean. But it does indeed not show fingerprints after a respectable number of years and abuse...

So, I guess it may be a matter of quality or technology. But certainly, I wouldn't blindly discard a chrome finish straight away.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Are you sure the MB Noblesse is not silver plated?  My cap is. (the barrel is a red and black marbled laquier.

A quick look at another of my silver plated pens show patterns, not mirror polish.

My silver overlays are different barley corn patterns.

My P-75 which also has patterns.

(The once a half decade that I polish my P-75, I never noticed finger prints; but I was waiting for it to get a battleship gray patenia again. Which usually don't take long with the lack of use it gets) 

As does my silver plated cap of Noblesse, lines on all the cap but the area where I could engrave my name. and the very end of the cap....which is plain.

The barrel end is unadorned, but being silver or silver plated tarnishes enough or fast enough  that finger prints are not seen....cleaned the pen some three weeks ago with a silver polish cloth.

Perhaps silver takes finger prints less ....out side of rare un-circulated coins.:P

That smooth chrome plated Waterman Graduate was the fingerprint trap, I described.....a surprise in I'm sure I had other chrome plated ball points and never noticed it; or didn't care.

The steel nibbed Slim Line was MB's low end pen for quite awhile; but are you sure it's chrome rather than silver plated?