Signature Pen

eclectic2316

2 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

There's only one mind we have the power to control.

Control is not the quest, but rather understanding.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• N1003U

• carola

• TheRedBeard

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, sgphototn said:

Some pens I've bought have been tied to a certain moment I wanted to remember.

In January 1989 I stopped smoking cigarettes with the self-made promise that if in six months I still hadn't smoked I would buy myself something nice. I was a two-pack-a day smoker. Nine months later I bought a Rolex with the provision if I ever smoked again I would have to sell that watch.

I still have the watch. When I wear it it (which is rare these days) I'm reminded that I had the willpower to break a bad habit and the cost of that watch has long since been paid in better health and thousands of saved dollars in real money and potential medical costs. Plus, I smell better.

I never look at that watch as anything other than a commitment I made to myself.

Well done that man!

4 hours ago, sgphototn said:

Some pens I've bought have been tied to a certain moment I wanted to remember.

In January 1989 I stopped smoking cigarettes with the self-made promise that if in six months I still hadn't smoked I would buy myself something nice. I was a two-pack-a day smoker. Nine months later I bought a Rolex with the provision if I ever smoked again I would have to sell that watch.

I still have the watch. When I wear it it (which is rare these days) I'm reminded that I had the willpower to break a bad habit and the cost of that watch has long since been paid in better health and thousands of saved dollars in real money and potential medical costs. Plus, I smell better.

I never look at that watch as anything other than a commitment I made to myself.

Good stuff!! May you never sell that watch! 

2 minutes ago, Aelia said:

Good stuff!! May you never sell that watch! 

After I bought the watch for about three weeks afterward, I'd dream that I was smoking cigarettes. I'd wake up in a panic thinking I'd really been smoking and had to sell my watch and it took a minute before I realized it was a dream. Whew!

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

5 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

Since everyone seems fixated on an ideological motive behind a signature pen, I will suggest -- not for the first time -- that the reasoning may, more correctly, be to add distinction to the event and the documents -- and NOT the person. 

Then too I must ask why so many people today are compelled to make even the simplest of matters an ideology issue?

With all due respect, your reasoning (I think) is true, and, as a result, is absolutely boring.

Left-wing, right-wing, centre-wing, etc...

The OP 'prolly wants a purdy pen for signin' all fancy-schamcy.

2 hours ago, AL01 said:

If the OP's got any sense, he's probably run as far away from this thread a he can get...

6 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

If the OP's got any sense, he's probably run as far away from this thread a he can get...

:lticaptd:

I concur.

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

10 hours ago, AL01 said:

I can't speak for the OP, but that is certainly what I want sometimes.

8 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

probably has ... OPs first post was also the last on this thread ... good reading though

14 hours ago, AL01 said:

Hi AL01,

And why not? Has not the world have enough ugliness in it already that it is only right (and normal) that we seek the refuge of "purdy things"?

And has not our culture already been inundated with mediocrity, that doing anything "fancy-schmancy" is a welcome escape?

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

On 1/18/2021 at 9:02 AM, kazoolaw said:

Did we discuss the 2 forms of signature pens?

One is the pen that wows/blinds onlookers with its artistic/gaudy appearance.

The other is the pen with a nib that leaves a signature with distinction.

On occasion they've been known to combine in a single pen.

One of the things about a lot of the German B and larger nibs is that they tend to be stubby, some more than others, but it's there. I see it a bit on my Pelikan M800, a decent amount on the Lamy 2000, and of course to a large degree on Montblanc nibs.

There's a wide spread in price between a Lamy 2000 and a Montblanc 149, but they're both distinctive pens in their own way(the 149, or even a 146 for that matter, for the name/shape recognition and big nib, the L2K for its understated but classic design) and will also give a bit of flair to your writing.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:46 PM, eclectic2316 said:

Am searching for a fountain pen to be used mostly for signature

that is distinctive but not pretentious.

Any recommendations of models and nibs would be appreciated.

Thank you. Kind regards, Paul

Hello Paul,

Back to the topic :)

As it is rightly mentioned by other FPN members, it is difficult to give any recommendation without knowing your budget.

Besides, some information on your current occupation would be helpful, too, because “Signature pen” of oil company's CEO and musical producer may certainly differ :)

However, a safe general approach is as follows: it should be a black lacquer GT pen with open nib of any famous reputable pen manufacturer.

Depending on your budget, any black Parker with Medium nib from the following set should work well for your purpose: Rialto, Premier, Sonnet, Duofold Centennial Int (slimmer version).

Parker is easily recognisable by its arrow-style clip and has no “wrong” stereotype associations.

Black Parker pen is like black formal shoes – it works perfect in any circumstances :)

All the best is only beginning now...

On 1/15/2021 at 12:23 AM, Mr.Rene said:

Really? A fountain pen to be used for signature

is always pretentious...I think...😂🤣👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Not at all :)

It is absolutely traditional and sometimes even "mandatory" in certain conservative businesses and sectors like professional (lawyers, accountants, doctors, advisers, etc), finance, banking, real estate, oil/gas/mining, publishing... 

On 1/15/2021 at 2:15 PM, N1003U said:

(I understand this discussion is getting WAY off topic here, but, I suppose with the nature of the OP, it isn't so surprising)

To try and pull this back in to the topic at hand, I would also say, I see no particular problem in buying having a pen specifically for signatures. We humans have a very long tradition of sanctifying (or at least setting apart as special) objects that represent important aspects of our lives.

Perfectly said, absolutely agree.

The entire concept of "Signature pen" was born almost at the same time when fountain pen was...

On 1/18/2021 at 8:28 AM, N1003U said:

I wonder if we scared-off the OP... 😛

It seems so ;)

On 1/18/2021 at 8:42 AM, N1003U said:

There certainly are folks here who are passionate about fountain pens, and I take that for a VERY good thing...

Absolutely right :)

and it is very encouraging , too...

On 1/19/2021 at 11:51 AM, shostakovich said:

Well I do not disagree with you. It's just the concept of a "signature" pen that is supposed to give someone a certain status. As if they are more important than anyone else and want to show off a very expensive and flashy pen. ......

It may be a case for some people, but it is too narrow interpretation of "Signature pen" concept.

"Signature pen" concept is related to tradition and very common across a number of businesses/sectors/occupations.

It is more like a sign of reliability :)

Just remember what a banker tells Steed at their first meeting (Steed pretends to be a very rich prospective client of the bank) in a very good late 60s series The Avengers: "... we still judge people on the colour of their socks..." :)

1 hour ago, TheRedBeard said:

Not at all :)

It is absolutely traditional and sometimes even "mandatory" in certain conservative businesses and sectors like professional (lawyers, accountants, doctors, advisers, etc), finance, banking, real estate, oil/gas/mining, publishing... 

You had mention a several pretentious professional...over the top people..you just demonstrate that I'm right. Well you can say " Traditional" instead "pretentious" if you would like to be more politically correct 🤣👍

On 1/19/2021 at 7:47 PM, Karmachanic said:

There's only one mind we have the power to control.

You are clearly not up-to-date with your conspiracy theory readings... ;)