• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• agentdaffy007

• Karmachanic

• bunnspecial

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Uncial said:

Out of all of them? You do realise there are hundreds? And how could we possibly know without some major scientific endeavour?!

Let me rephrase. Out of the current lineup.

Well, you know that iron-gall is probably drier and less lubricating.

53 minutes ago, Uncial said:

But how would anyone know if one ink is more lubricating to a piston than another?

Piston requires lubrication less often?

Add lightness and simplicate.

39 minutes ago, Uncial said:

Other than every decade?

Well. You know how the kids are these days; needlessly taking pens apart and fiddling with things best left alone. Why lubricate pen once a decade if it can be done once a month?

Add lightness and simplicate.

The only inks I know that specifically advertised lubricating the piston are Noodler's Eel inks. I've never used them. Personally, if a piston needs to be lubricated(once a decade is probably kind of frequent, but maybe not) I'd personally rather do it right by taking it apart and using a small amount of grease.

I don't venture into my 14x series pens, but the 1x and 2x pens are quite easy and I normally grease the piston if it's stiff or leaking using a toothpick to apply a tiny amount grease through the nib end. Do this, work the piston back and forth a few times, and it will be good as new.

Experience has taught me that most Montblanc inks have lubricating qualities— I am not sure about permanent inks or the iron gall inks. I believe that royal blue, midnight blue and mystery black have been very good to the piston mechanisms of my various Meisterstück pens.

Matt is correct WRT permanent inks.  They are not lubricating.  I use mostly vintage MB inks, so I cannot comment on the very current offerings.  My most favorite ink is still the now very old Blue-Black from the 70s or 80s or so.  Been using it for years, no issues except for that time I had to go away for 14 months, and the pen dried out.  The old saturated inks like Bordeaux,  a couple of the Green shades are somewhat troublesome.  The old Turquoise, which is a beautiful color, is miserable to clean out it it has dried in a pen.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

On 1/15/2021 at 8:56 AM, bunnspecial said:

The only inks I know that specifically advertised lubricating the piston are Noodler's Eel inks. I've never used them. Personally, if a piston needs to be lubricated(once a decade is probably kind of frequent, but maybe not) I'd personally rather do it right by taking it apart and using a small amount of grease.

I don't venture into my 14x series pens, but the 1x and 2x pens are quite easy and I normally grease the piston if it's stiff or leaking using a toothpick to apply a tiny amount grease through the nib end. Do this, work the piston back and forth a few times, and it will be good as new.

I used Noodlers Blue Eel once. It was awful. Nice color, and I wanted to lubricate the piston on an old Onoto K pen and a new Wality. Eel crawled able to crawl around the piston, filling itself between the piston and the blind-cap end of the pen. Eel also managed to find or to create leaks around the section grip of another Onoto K. Incidentally, I had used the Onotos and the Wality without problem when I filled with other inks.

Conclusion: a lubricating element in an ink is probably something we do NOT want. The ordinary smoothness of MB and other inks is good enough. (Pelikan's Edelstein and the Iroshizuku inks are others that seem similar). 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

On 1/15/2021 at 11:51 AM, meiers said:

Experience has taught me that most Montblanc inks have lubricating qualities— I am not sure about permanent inks or the iron gall inks. I believe that royal blue, midnight blue and mystery black have been very good to the piston mechanisms of my various Meisterstück pens.

+1

Rick

Rick