BHR vs Celluloid

arbutus967

Greatings all, I'm a newbee so be kind.  I got the interest in Esterbrook pens after I recently inherited a couple from my grandmother.  How can I tell the difference between a black dollar pen that is BHR and a black celluloid dollar pen?

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Danny

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Estycollector

• corgicoupe

• FarmBoy

• arbutus967

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The hard rubber pen will have the cap band closer to the lip of the cap.

Esterbrook didn't Celluloid in the truest sense of the word to make the J series pens.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

There were Dollar Pens made from HBR where the cap band was closer to the end and some that had no cap band at all. This is the resource that I should have posted with my first reply. 

Dollar Pens (esterbrook.net)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

What is the difference between the 1934 & 1938 clip? I cn't see an obvious difference in the two photos.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

1 hour ago, corgicoupe said:

What is the difference between the 1934 & 1938 clip? I cn't see an obvious difference in the two photos.

Look at where the clip loops over the top of the cap. The earlier clip is pinched at the point where the clip extends to the top of the cap. The later is not. I assume the pinched version was not as durable. 

There are other differences in the size and shape of the holes in the clip. 

Dollar Pen 2.jpg

2 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

I believe the fill lever also differs.  The BHR pen should have the "spear" lever.

Yep... It has the "spear" lever.

Robert Frost

8 hours ago, Estycollector said:

Look at where the clip loops over the top of the cap. The earlier clip is pinched at the point where the clip extends to the top of the cap. The later is not. I assume the pinched version was not as durable. 

There are other differences in the size and shape of the holes in the clip. 

Dollar Pen 2.jpg

Aha!  Subtle.  Mine does have the 1934 clip, and the holes do seem smaller in your photo.  Thanks for pointing out the differences.

Robert Frost

post-156106-0-10385200-1578738935.jpg

This is a later celluloid version and notice the squared off lever. 

And what exactly is that one? Obviously the later clip and lever.

Robert Frost

post-156106-0-33546100-1577357764_thumb.jpg

This is what is commonly referred to as the "spear" lever shape.