Starting from the worst habits and penmanship to this?

Mar_

I must say, I am surprised (and delighted, like A Smug Dill).

I fully understand that you cannot get a new pen, you have no funds, no transport and no ability to order online, so things like AliBaba are off your scope for now. You will find many kind people here, so do not despair.

As for your penmanship, I find it very readable. Using a fude nib has its tricks and is not for everybody. Same for a stub nib, only, a stub is more natural for occidental writers. Still, there are two main parts to your practice now: writing, which you can also practice with a ball-point pen, and getting used to the much lighter touch of a fountain pen, which you can with your current FP.

Anecdote: I first was surprised to learn that portrait-shaped photos sell for more money than landscape-oriented. The reason is they are mainly demanded for all-important journal covers and less people makes them. This is to say, do not hesitate to try and master your fude nib. It may turn in the end an advantage when few else do. Just try not to get it to creep into your writing habits and preclude you from using other nibs.

Ditto: don't worry, you have plenty of time, just keep on practicing as long as you enjoy it and it will all eventually come out for the best.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mar_

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• BaronWulfraed

10 minutes ago, txomsy said:

I must say, I am surprised (and delighted, like A Smug Dill).

I fully understand that you cannot get a new pen, you have no funds, no transport and no ability to order online, so things like AliBaba are off your scope for now. You will find many kind people here, so do not despair.

As for your penmanship, I find it very readable. Using a fude nib has its tricks and is not for everybody. Same for a stub nib, only, a stub is more natural for occidental writers. Still, there are two main parts to your practice now: writing, which you can also practice with a ball-point pen, and getting used to the much lighter touch of a fountain pen, which you can with your current FP.

Anecdote: I first was surprised to learn that portrait-shaped photos sell for more money than landscape-oriented. The reason is they are mainly demanded for all-important journal covers and less people makes them. This is to say, do not hesitate to try and master your fude nib. It may turn in the end an advantage when few else do. Just try not to get it to creep into your writing habits and preclude you from using other nibs.

Ditto: don't worry, you have plenty of time, just keep on practicing as long as you enjoy it and it will all eventually come out for the best.

First of all, I must thank you for the kind reply! 

AliBaba was a source I wasn't aware of! I had to Google it! - Being young dumb and in a small town has its disadvantages (low funds) and advantages (this town's a family 😛) - I'll love to meet all the kind people on this site too, I just wish I had a way to repay someone for their good deeds, regardless if it's a gift, or just some education.

It's readable, but not to a point of consistency that I want it to be at quite yet. Many of the letters I have I write in various methods even in the same word, like a letter t(lowercase), I do the tail with a cross, and sometimes I just keep it straight with a cross. Fude nibs do indeed have their tricks, but many hindrances for consistency at the learning stage.
I've yet to use a stub nib, I've had experience with dip pens in middle school (gosh, long time ago(wow)) and not much beyond that. I want to try to stray away from ball point pens 😛 I'm okay practicing with pencil but I do want to get consistent with fp's so I've been working on improving w/ my fude. 

I'm getting better with the use of the fude nib though it's still a hinderance for consistency as mentioned ^^ 😛 but yeah, oh um wait... I use that emote too much... anyways, so yeah, I'll get to a point where I am good w/ it, but I think I'll ever let it prevent me from using other nibs once I get another. 

I'm rather young at 17, so I've not a worry that i'll be able to keep in this hobby for a long time and be able to improve. I definitely love the practice, the hobby, the community here. The best is already here, the better is soon to come.

- Mar

PS. Is that you in your profile pic? / How's the EU this time of year? / What is your favorite pen regardless the value? - Ink? 

MAR Watermark.png
fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Indiana . USA

Another practice session! I cut it short (the keep practicing note) because my hand started hurting a bit
( A bit of me waking up sleeping on my hand in a uncomfortable way & Playing a game with a controller right after. 😛 )

Anyways, I'm keeping at it, what about you? How are you doing on your practice? Send me some updates 😛

PS. I've done many between this and the last, I just wanted to share one of em' :)

139729401_232533178458934_1862806295097842674_n.jpg

Edited by Mar_

MAR Watermark.png

Indiana . USA

18 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Haha, that's a funny one, on par with my personal favourite mixing of metaphors: “We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.” :)

Yet possibly applicable if one means to burn the bridge after crossing it to hinder anyone chasing one.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:05 PM, A Smug Dill said:

I still need Australia Post to tell me whether/when the international postal service in question is available; I can't bring myself to spend 650% more in postage to send a pen as a tracked parcel, when the pen itself isn't worth that much

Australia Post advised, fifteen minutes ago, that Economy letters containing merchandise are not accepted at the moment, sorry.

I'll see if there is something useful that I can order on AliExpress for a reasonable amount (i.e. less than the minimum of A$21 Australia Post wants in postage charges for a 250g parcel) and have it send directly to you instead.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

19 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Australia Post advised, fifteen minutes ago, that Economy letters containing merchandise are not accepted at the moment, sorry.

I'll see if there is something useful that I can order on AliExpress for a reasonable amount (i.e. less than the minimum of A$21 Australia Post wants in postage charges for a 250g parcel) and have it send directly to you instead.

I don't want to hassle you sir. The offers were super sweet, the intent is beautiful and I really appreciate your generosity but you really don't need to send anything.

MAR Watermark.png

Indiana . USA