Ordering Indian Pens into the U.K. Post-Brexit

Rewpert

Hey All,

I have a number of other hobbies that exist due to small-scale makers and sellers who're all having a heck of a time over the requirements of the new VAT Import Tax Laws introduced by the British. A good number of them are having to refuse to ship to buyers in the U.K. from now on due to the difficulties imposed by the new laws. 

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledgeable insights into how this will effect the purchasing of fountain pens from the likes of Ratnamson, ASA and Ranga from now on?

Perhaps even, being proactive about it, is there anyone in this community of pen aficionados who has the required expertise and generosity of time to perhaps advise Indian pen makers on the new demands of trading with the British and how to best deal with them?

Hope everyone is keeping well,

'Rewpert.

P.S. - If we could all stay polite and keep politics out of this thread, that would be kind. The FPN is proving to be a quite safe haven from the discourse. There's plenty of room elsewhere on the internet where we can all each other 'Mopheads', 'Brexiteers', and 'Remoaners'.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rewpert

• sam3k

• hari317

• Karmachanic

The new changes might affect only the EU vendors selling to UK customers. For outside EU vendors selling to UK it should be business as usual as HMRC was always taxing such imports as per law? 

ETA: I read up on it and it seems now overseas sellers have to collect VAT(for item value less than 135GBP) apriori and have a VAT obligation to HMRC ie pay the VAT to HMRC. 

https://www.dlapiper.com/en/us/insights/publications/2020/12/uk-vat-changes-sale-of-goods-to-customers/

In this scenario one can understand the hesitation to deal with UK buyers.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

16 hours ago, hari317 said:

The new changes might affect only the EU vendors selling to UK customers. For outside EU vendors selling to UK it should be business as usual as HMRC was always taxing such imports as per law? 

ETA: I read up on it and it seems now overseas sellers have to collect VAT(for item value less than 135GBP) apriori and have a VAT obligation to HMRC ie pay the VAT to HMRC. 

https://www.dlapiper.com/en/us/insights/publications/2020/12/uk-vat-changes-sale-of-goods-to-customers/

In this scenario one can understand the hesitation to deal with UK buyers.

Yes, that is my understanding too. 

This is the best information I've found so far, on the U.K. government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021#goods-located-outside-the-uk-at-the-point-of-sale

I understand the process of registering for a VAT account with the HMRC is far from a quick and easy. I do worry that it could put up a barrier to purchasing pens from the smaller makers of India and elsewhere around the world, which would be a dreadful shame.

Would anyone that has placed an order with Ranga since the new rules have come in let us know how it went / if there were any problems?

I’ve got my eye on a model 5 in the not too distant future...

On 1/21/2021 at 8:02 AM, sam3k said:

Would anyone that has placed an order with Ranga since the new rules have come in let us know how it went / if there were any problems?

I’ve got my eye on a model 5 in the not too distant future...

I decided to risk it and ordered two pens earlier this month. Both arrived without any problems whatsoever, and in record time.

I'd suggest caution going forward, though. As I understand it, the U.K.'s customs are being lax at the moment due to the disruption caused by the new VAT rules just to keep things moving (along with everything else that's causing trouble with the U.K.'s postal services at the moment). 

I can't imagine how the UK government intends to force sellers in other countries to register to pay UK VAT. It seems like an unusual step that no other country has ever tried. Odd

I live in UK

I received today via DHL, directly from Ranga, the two pens I had ordered at the beginning of January.

I didn't have to pay anything extra prior to delivery.

Extremely satisfied with Ranga's way of dealing with its customers

Cheers