Pelikan M805 Ocean Swirl Inflation

aimi

Not a complaint, but just a fun thought of mine- I know people say not to buy pens as investments as they rarely appreciate, but this is one pen of mine that’s actually inflated so much in the recent months. The last few I’ve seen go on sale on Reddit have sold between 700-800$+, a nice near-200% markup from its original price depending on where you bought from. The only other pens I can think of experiencing this are Conid’s.

So, passing fad or is the price here to stay? :) Personally I love the material so much I’d love to see Pelikan release an M605 OS. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aimi

• carola

• DilettanteG

• debraji

1 hour ago, aimi said:

Personally I love the material so much I’d love to see Pelikan release an M605 OS. 

+ Amen to that!

I'd also like to see an M600 in brown stripe.

But I'm so thrilled with the M600 Red Tortoiseshell that I (and my wallet) can wait awhile...

I´ve seen that, too. On ebay they are trying to sell Ocean Swirl pens for € 900,- to € 1.500,- (mostly from Japan) and none lower than that. I´m still congratulating myself for buying one when I stumbled upon it for about € 350,- even if it had the wrong nib (an M, I still need to buy a fully rhodinated B for it some day).

To me, it´s one of the most beautiful modern Pelikans.

19 hours ago, debraji said:

But I'm so thrilled with the M600 Red Tortoiseshell that I (and my wallet) can wait awhile...

The Red Tortoiseshell this year looks wonderful! Maybe we can hope next year's 600 model Pelikan will be another Ocean Swirl :D

1 hour ago, carola said:

I´ve seen that, too. On ebay they are trying to sell Ocean Swirl pens for € 900,- to € 1.500,- (mostly from Japan) and none lower than that. I´m still congratulating myself for buying one when I stumbled upon it for about € 350,- even if it had the wrong nib (an M, I still need to buy a fully rhodinated B for it some day).

To me, it´s one of the most beautiful modern Pelikans.

eBay I noticed is often a miss for new pens... for some reason all the prices are super inflated! But the second hand market seems to be catching up in this particular pen's case... Like you, I feel very fortunate as well- I was able to track one down last year at a reasonable price. I actually hesitated to buy it at first but I'm so glad I did- one of the most beautiful modern Pelikans indeed.

50 minutes ago, aimi said:

eBay I noticed is often a miss for new pens... for some reason all the prices are super inflated! But the second hand market seems to be catching up in this particular pen's case... Like you, I feel very fortunate as well- I was able to track one down last year at a reasonable price. I actually hesitated to buy it at first but I'm so glad I did- one of the most beautiful modern Pelikans indeed.

In fact, I got mine from ebay. When you´re looking for pens there, it´s not all good and not all bad.

47 minutes ago, carola said:

In fact, I got mine from ebay. When you´re looking for pens there, it´s not all good and not all bad.

Mine was also from eBay actually! I think the smaller, individual sellers have the most fair pricing, but some of the bigger stores seem to have NOS of LE pens that are priced very high.

It seems I might have found a fully rhodinated B-nib for my Ocean Swirl now, which isn't that easy since the whole world makes the impression of being kind of paused due to this nasty pandemic.

But if I actually get it, there is a new question: What do I do with that unloved (simply because it's an M) nib that originally came with the pen? Keep it? Pass it on? Sell it?

Oh, my...

2 hours ago, carola said:

It seems I might have found a fully rhodinated B-nib for my Ocean Swirl now, which isn't that easy since the whole world makes the impression of being kind of paused due to this nasty pandemic.

But if I actually get it, there is a new question: What do I do with that unloved (simply because it's an M) nib that originally came with the pen? Keep it? Pass it on? Sell it?

Oh, my...

Congrats! I have a similar story!  I swapped the nib on my M600 Turquoise, and I chose to keep my nib... I keep saying one day I might stumble upon a really nice body without a nib so "just in case", but that hasn't happened yet so maybe I should sell... maybe you will one day stumble upon a really nice body without a nib 😆

And I do hope with the vaccine we start to return to normalcy!

4 hours ago, carola said:

Oh, my...

you talking about the entire pen or just the M nib?  I have an Ocean Swirl Fine and could be interested in a M  :)   we are in different countries tho.

11 hours ago, MHBru said:

you talking about the entire pen or just the M nib?  I have an Ocean Swirl Fine and could be interested in a M  :)   we are in different countries tho.

Only the nib, of course. I would never give my Ocean Swirl away! 😁

Where are you located?

-- Ah... California. Didn´t see that information on my mobile phone. That´s a tiny bit far for a nib, but if you would like to cover the postage, we can talk about it. 😉

Ever since I passed on the newer released M800 Tortoise and it sky rocketed to $1200, I’ve tried to pick up the Pelikan special editions that I really want when they’re released. So, I was able to snag a M805 Ocean Swirl and matching ballpoint. It’s one of my favorite pens. 

Sadly, I’m trying to save money for some home improvement projects this year, so no new pens or inks planned for 2021.  It’s half the fun of collecting, but I must be strong....

17 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

Ever since I passed on the newer released M800 Tortoise and it sky rocketed to $1200, I’ve tried to pick up the Pelikan special editions that I really want when they’re released. So, I was able to snag a M805 Ocean Swirl and matching ballpoint. It’s one of my favorite pens. 

Sadly, I’m trying to save money for some home improvement projects this year, so no new pens or inks planned for 2021.  It’s half the fun of collecting, but I must be strong....

Ah, you just reminded me of the M600 Pink which is now super expensive as well! The OS is one of my favourites as well; I saw the ballpoint on sale earlier this year, but had to resist as I sadly know I do not use ballpoints.

Good luck with your resolution this year! I hope the home improvement goes well also :)

59 minutes ago, aimi said:

Ah, you just reminded me of the M600 Pink which is now super expensive as well! The OS is one of my favourites as well; I saw the ballpoint on sale earlier this year, but had to resist as I sadly know I do not use ballpoints.

Good luck with your resolution this year! I hope the home improvement goes well also :)

Thanks! I had to return my first M600 Violet and White due to a cracked white cap, so you may have dodged a bullet on the pink. The white plastic seems to have had some issues.

55 minutes ago, DilettanteG said:

Thanks! I had to return my first M600 Violet and White due to a cracked white cap, so you may have dodged a bullet on the pink. The white plastic seems to have had some issues.

Ah, I think we talked about your cap on your thread last year! My M600 Turquoise cap also developed hairline cracks, and after badgering Chartpak for a while they finally exchanged mine. I will probably not be buying any more white Pelikans no matter how beautiful they look. 😛

2 hours ago, aimi said:

Ah, I think we talked about your cap on your thread last year! My M600 Turquoise cap also developed hairline cracks, and after badgering Chartpak for a while they finally exchanged mine. I will probably not be buying any more white Pelikans no matter how beautiful they look. 😛

Me too, I quite like the turquoise M600, but I don’t want to roll those dice either.

Plus, I already have more pens than any sane person needs. I keep telling myself to downsize and then just end up buying more!

The new B-nib for my Ocean Swirl arrived today. Having to test it was a great excuse to take that gorgeous looking pen out of its slot in the pen box, ink it up and write a few pages.

Now I am thoroughly happy with this pen. 😊

7 hours ago, carola said:

The new B-nib for my Ocean Swirl arrived today. Having to test it was a great excuse to take that gorgeous looking pen out of its slot in the pen box, ink it up and write a few pages.

Now I am thoroughly happy with this pen. 😊

Awesome! That’s so great to hear. Too pretty of a pen to go unused! Enjoy!!

• 4 weeks later...

To me, it is quite funny about the high prices for the Ocean Swirl given all the hand wringing that took place on this forum about the way the pattern turns black as one turns the pen. 

The Ocean Swirl is my favorite limited edition of all the M8XX pens (and I have way more than I need).  The depth of the plastic is just wonderful and I love the color too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 1:26 PM, entertainment said:

To me, it is quite funny about the high prices for the Ocean Swirl given all the hand wringing that took place on this forum about the way the pattern turns black as one turns the pen. 

The Ocean Swirl is my favorite limited edition of all the M8XX pens (and I have way more than I need).  The depth of the plastic is just wonderful and I love the color too.

I saw those discussions when I was deciding whether or not to buy mine 😛. I do wish mine were the beautiful lighter blue all the way around, but the dark parts do look oceanic as well.

My favourite Pelikan LE also!

• 1 month later...

Would you see this same level of inflation creep into the contemporaneous LEs?  Like the M800 Grand Place and Renaissance Brown?  Or is the Ocean Swirl really in a league of its own?

bayesianprior.png