No Nonsense, Something Missing Here?

Bill Nick

Does anyone know whether this is the normal top of the No Nonsense cap or is there something missing?  Most of the NNs seem to be the same with a couple of exceptions that were corporate promotional pens and had a flat end-piece with a logo covering the "hole".  

No Non Cap end.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corgicoupe

• Bill Nick

• Mr.Rene

• AL01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is normal in old or current models...nothing wrong with your pen.Relax.

Corporate or promotional pens are other thing, you can find logos on top cap or clips also...

Regards.

I chose to grind and polish a brass machine screw and epoxy it into that depression.  Looks much better that way.

ETA:  Oops!  Mine has a disk in that depression in the cap that says Sheaffer.  I ground and polished a brass machine screw for the end of the barrel.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Looks like mine.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

19 hours ago, Mr.Rene said:

Corporate or promotional pens are other thing, you can find logos on top cap or clips also...

Regards.

19 hours ago, Mr.Rene said:

Regards.

Thanks for that, I am still relaxed, haven't bought one yet! Just thinking about adding something the complete opposite of my PFMs.

It is quite different from the PFM (I have one), but is more, to me, the opposite of the Connaisseur (which I also have).

Robert Frost

I Looked at some of the no nonsense pens I have. 

I have a yellow and black one which looks exactly like yours, and a blue marble one which has a gold disc with the word “sheaffer’ marked twice.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, corgicoupe said:

I chose to grind and polish a brass machine screw and epoxy it into that depression.  Looks much better that way.

ETA:  Oops!  Mine has a disk in that depression in the cap that says Sheaffer.  I ground and polished a brass machine screw for the end of the barrel.

May you send a picture of the end result so we may be jealous of your No Nonsense?

😋

Let's try it...

The Italic nib, which you didn't ask about, was purchased from PeytonStreetPens.

I think the Sheaffer button in the cap was in some of the pens, but not all.

As I explained, the depression in the barrel was filled with a brass machine screw that I ground to remove the slot and then polished. It's not gold plated so I occasionally have to rake a polishing wheel to it to restore the shine.

Ron Zorn has made even more extensive modifications to a No Nonsense so that is is effectively a Connaisseur. At one point I bought an 18K fine nib from PeytonStreetPens and put the medium nib in the No Nonsense, but it just didn't seem right to have a $90 nib in a $30 pen so I bought the Italic nib.

The photos were take with the pen stuck in a Parker onyx desk stand.

IMG_2560.thumb.jpg.a805850b917341730870babe9172c67a.jpgIMG_2559.thumb.jpg.3a49b2dfec412f809b25ed3480c524b6.jpgLet's try it.IMG_2556.thumb.jpg.d9cf71ea9dfe4aecf085352c2a8122b9.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

Robert Frost

The brass button in the top of the cap and the marble-swirl plastic denoted a higher end version of the No Nonsense pens that also had gold plated nibs. I forget what this deluxe version was called, maybe GT.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

The pen came from Speer Bob with a steel M nib, not gold plated. But the swirled red/white plastic is what caught my eye. The brass button on the barrel to fill the depression was my idea of an improvement, as was the Italic nib. It's still a big step down from the Connaisseur, but I like to use it.

Robert Frost

8 hours ago, OCArt said:

The brass button in the top of the cap and the marble-swirl plastic denoted a higher end version of the No Nonsense pens that also had gold plated nibs. I forget what this deluxe version was called, maybe GT.

It is the No Nonsense Vintage. (Unfortunately a term which brings up too many Google results).  Check out the Pen Hero site for more info.

https://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferNoNonsense.htm

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

That's a helpful link. Thanks for that. Teri Morris did tell me that the Italic nib I got from her was from the calligraphy set.

Robert Frost

That is normal, I have a couple of the standard non nonsense that are like that.

On the No Nonsense Old Timer there is a flat top cap filling that depression.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 8:12 AM, corgicoupe said:

It is quite different from the PFM (I have one),

I know, I have five, I, II, III, IV and V.