What Pen Are You Using Today in 2021/22?

HogwldFLTR

Green Esterbrook J with 9460 nib with De Atramentis Alexander Hamilton ink. What a beautiful ink! 

Esterbrook SM Deluxe with 9450 nib and J Herbin Bleu Pervenche. One of my favorite blues. 

Parker 51 Demi blue with fine nib and R&K Sepia ink. Don't know what to think of this ink, like it, but....kinda can say that about the pen too.....

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• N1003U

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 605 stubbed down from a baby bottom BB to a 1.0/B by Francis Goossen/Fountainble on the com. It replaces my Hunter Toledo....in my fight to get down to only 7 pens inked. One to go.:happyberet:JmyB1nh.jpg

And a Geha 780 maxi-semi-flex

5rhiDcF.jpg

Both in the Pelikan two pen holder shown below.

Same holder different pens.  No idea what that black pen is.7Dxvslb.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

19 hours ago, maclink said:

My current EDC is a Custom 823 with F nib. I now have it inked with Platinum Carbon Black, and they tango very well together. Very well indeed.  I’m hoping that PCB flushed out nicely between fills. 

I really like the deep, shiny, depth-less black of PCB, but it does widen the lines made with the nib and it is a high-maintenance ink, in that it leaves a residue after you've flushed your pen. I don't know if this will create problems down the line. I haven't experienced any, and I haven't heard of clogging issues with PCB from others.

My 823 (now with its original F nib) rests in the Pen Valise, because I have five inked pens currently (four with Pilot nibs (two of which aren't Pilot pens, hehe!)), but it is a very fine pen, deserving of the many accolades that convinced me to give it a try.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Jinhao x450 shiny black with generic blue cartridge.

I gave to one of my 8th grade students today, because he kept telling me he had to get one of those “ink pens” and to encourage better handwriting. He was rapt, but I’ll have to coach him through the difficulty of obtaining FP supplies, like ink in Finland 🇫🇮.

I’m missing it already, as I had been inking it with Diamine Coral.  Maybe I’ll have to get another.

33F9562A-EC1A-41BD-9D5D-CFE0CD47D932.jpeg

5 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

I really like the deep, shiny, depth-less black of PCB, but it does widen the lines made with the nib and it is a high-maintenance ink, in that it leaves a residue after you've flushed your pen. I don't know if this will create problems down the line. I haven't experienced any, and I haven't heard of clogging issues with PCB from others.

I had this residue issue with Sei Boku. See my TWSBI below, and that was after a single fill.C4DE383D-CCD9-47D5-914C-CCD2BB6003AA.thumb.jpeg.c140259d11b850918d5bf9d53536fe13.jpeg

I will see how I get on with black since the colours can behave differently as well as the plastic with which each pen is made.  Is the PCB residue a build up over time?  My plan is to flush between fills.  I had watched a favourite 3 pens video where the presenter had a custom 823 that she kept inked with PCB for 2 yrs. without trouble, although she flushed between fills. 

I can already confirm that Mont Blanc Permanent Black washes out without visible residue.  So if I have issue, I can use it. I find that the flow is about the same. They also have a similarly deep black quality on paper. Perhaps the PCB gets the edge on depth of blackness but it’s neither here nor there for me. If I end up in trouble with PCB then I have no excuse other than wishing to experience use of the ink for an extended period in an EDC pen.

I agree about the wider line with PCB but it’s the same with MB Permanent Black and I don’t mind the wider line. I use the F nib to compensate for the wider line when using these inks. 

I'd had this Parker 51 Aerometric lying around for quite a while.  I picked it up for not very much, but it had turned out to be fairly badly clogged with something, and I'd never gotten around to dealing with it.  I had a couple of other functional 51s, and although they worked perfectly well, they had never become favorites.  There was no sense of urgency about getting a third one working.

But I thought of it again the other day.  Flushing with water and my regular pen cleaning fluid hadn't done the trick before, as I recalled.  But before risking my clumsy use of a heat gun to take the hood off and have a look at what might be in there, I flushed very thoroughly with Rapido-Eze, letting it soak for a couple of hours.  That did the trick.  It has now been working well for about four days, and I think it's cured.  Not sure what was gunking it up.  I didn't flush that much ink out of there.

So today I've been carrying it in my shirt pocket.  I always like to have a mechanical pencil and a ballpoint just in case, so I also have this twist action 0.9 mm Parker mechanical pencil and one of my Fisher Space Pens.  They may not get used, but I'll have them.

ParkFish.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Today I'm testing one of my 3d-printed pens: a prototype using a terracotta-filled PLA filament and a Bock 250 nib.

So far I'm impressed with how the pen feels. The terracotta may be prone to staining with ink (time will tell), but both terracotta and the PLA plastic that holds it are quite resistant to things like ammonia and dilute bleach, so staining might not be a problem in practice. I do expect the section to pick up some patina from my fingers after a while.

The nib is notably smooth, but perhaps more stiff than the Jowo #6 that I have been using. It's fairly dry, but I'm sure that I could change that if it I decide it is needed.

IMG_1540.jpeg.5a4ac16db8cbabf33cd5c32e7154024c.jpeg

IMG_1539.jpeg

-- 

Michael Lew

Maker of 3D printed fountain pens

PlatypusPens.com

Whoops, the second photo is supposed to be this closeup showing the pen surface pattern. (It also shows that the section doesn't quite match up with the body in this prototype.) 

IMG_1541.jpeg

-- 

Michael Lew

PlatypusPens.com

1 hour ago, Michael Lew said:

Whoops, the second photo is supposed to be this closeup showing the pen surface pattern. (It also shows that the section doesn't quite match up with the body in this prototype.) 

IMG_1541.jpeg

That is super impressive.  Nice looking pen.  

10 minutes ago, tringle said:

That is super impressive.  Nice looking pen.  

Thanks very much.

You can see some variants of my first, slightly smaller, pen here: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/35100-3d-printed-pens

(Am I allowed to link to FPGeeks on FPN?)

-- 

Michael Lew

PlatypusPens.com

1 hour ago, Michael Lew said:

Thanks very much.

You can see some variants of my first, slightly smaller, pen here: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/35100-3d-printed-pens

(Am I allowed to link to FPGeeks on FPN?)

Who knows if thats acceptable or not?  I am sure someone more informed will comment.  🙂

Caran d’Ache Ecridor rhodium chevron fine

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!