What Pen Are You Using Today in 2021/22?

HogwldFLTR

I don't know yet, but my wife expects me to find a pen into which to load the first of the Diamine Inkvent Red Edition inks tonight, and chances are it'll be one of the dozens of unused Chinese pens I have lying around at the moment.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• N1003U

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's rotation ran out of ink within the first 5 minutes, so now I have to decide what to ink up next... 🤔

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Picasso 918 - M. nib.  Ink:  Diamine Aurora Borealis

TWSBI Eco - Lilac - M. nib.  Ink:  Dryden Designs Decadent Purple

Today's pen is a Faber-Castell Hexo Rose EF filled with Waterman Serenity Blue. It's the first use and, unfortunately, it's taking some settling in, so I wrote my journal pages with a nail buffer handy to smooth it as needed. Still not quite there yet. Other than that, I think it's a pretty pen that feels good in the hand.

The other problem is that it's genuine FC converter doesn't fit. If I can't find one that does and need to refill cartridges, to have my choice of colours, I will switch to a long cartridge so I don't have to do it so often. Will try a long cartridge when this fill runs out and I'm, hopefully, finished with the Serenity Blue. Not my favourite colour.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

On the very familiar side, a burgundy Parker 51 Aero, medium nib, filled with Pelikan 4001 brilliant black. On the slightly unfamiliar side, an Aurora Hastil, broad nib, with Parker Quink black.

was using a Conway Stewart Series 58 until, to my surprise, it ran out of ink.  I've been using one of my 11 year old grandson's school pencils since.

Kicking it old school today with this Pelikan 400 that a friend had lying in a drawer unused since his grandfather last inked it about 40 years ago. Now filled with a dignified Waterman Intense Black. (And couldn't be more different from the Ystudio white resin that I was using yesterday inked with Tender Purple still visible at the top of the page!)

large.IMG_2293.JPG.1f615eb334406def7387becc956ff967.JPG

I recently decided to do my pen rotations following the order of my ringed ink swatches instead of choosing the pen, so every day is a new pen adventure lol

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Today has been a Noodler's day:

1) one of the old resin FPCs (Cobalt, flex nib) with (very) diluted Noodler's Blue Lobsters and Whales LE (well, not sure if it is actually an LE or just was released initially at the Baltimore-Washington Pen Show that wasn't...).

2) acrylic Konrad (Forbidden City, flex nib) with Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

23 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Kicking it old school today with this Pelikan 400 that a friend had lying in a drawer unused since his grandfather last inked it about 40 years ago. Now filled with a dignified Waterman Intense Black. (And couldn't be more different from the Ystudio white resin that I was using yesterday inked with Tender Purple still visible at the top of the page!)

large.IMG_2293.JPG.1f615eb334406def7387becc956ff967.JPG

I recently decided to do my pen rotations following the order of my ringed ink swatches instead of choosing the pen, so every day is a new pen adventure lol

Very nice.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:10 AM, ParramattaPaul said:

was using a Conway Stewart Series 58 until, to my surprise, it ran out of ink.  I've been using one of my 11 year old grandson's school pencils since.

So, do you notice any difference in how they write? 😂

11 minutes ago, mallymal1 said:

Very nice.

Thanks! I am very glad he allowed me to take it off his hands! It is a great pen (once I managed to get the 40-year-old dried ink out of it)

1 hour ago, DvdRiet said:

So, do you notice any difference in how they write? 😂

Yes, I do. The pencil is really dry writing in comparison. 

😉

Today was back to basics: a Faber-Castell Loom matte Gunmetal EF filled with my old favourite R&K Sepia.

Some days I need something that just works. :)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

After finishing several pens yesterday, I am writing with a Pelikan 120 with De Atramentis Jane Austen.

On 11/23/2021 at 2:06 AM, Calabria said:

The platonic ideal of a pen? M nib why not?

ah, yes.

The M200 is certainly one of my favourite pens although I own a number of more "sofisticated and expensive" fountain pens.

The souped up M250 with the gold nib is a perfected M200 (and the vintage nibs are often very good at least as much as the steel nibs on the M200).

The M nib is a classic for me, I started on F nibs very young, but have gradually grown to like the smoother character and more generous ink flow on the M.

On 11/23/2021 at 2:18 AM, AmandaW said:

Oh no. I am sitting here with an M nib pen in a cart. Trying to talk myself out of it...

seriously, there is often too much attention for extra fine and extra broad nibs, but that should really happen (IMHO) once you have used an M nib for a lifetime...

in fact I don't agree with those who say M is boring... M is just "perfect" for most writing jobs... (at least here in the western world), despite I'm far from denying that learning to use an EF nib (possibly flex) or a stub nib, well, will certainly give you additional thrills!

On 11/22/2021 at 4:05 PM, Doug C said:

For Thanksgiving week:

Oldwin Classic 

Faber Castell Perfect Pencil 

Conid Slimline 

ASC Studio 

Ancora Perla

Visconti Metropolitan Divina

20211122_080220.jpg

Lovely pens as usual, Doug!