What Pen Are You Using Today in 2021/22?

HogwldFLTR

7 minutes ago, NgunnawalJack said:

BAOER 388 green with black “tiger” stripes.  Inked with Diamine Indigo.

897BEDEE-ACF1-4B6F-9550-B99235496D43.jpeg

and a light blue Pilot V-pen medium

The Baoer is a great pen, comparable or even superior to the Parker Sonnet.  I just wanted to comment to celebrate 1000 posts, took me 12 years!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• N1003U

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sheaffer Valiant (recently restored) with Quink black (and waterbrush)s-13-valiant.jpg.8001506d876cc4f315545b366a69bb94.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

18 hours ago, bhbarto said:

I just wanted to comment to celebrate 1000 posts, took me 12 years!

Congratulations 

So far today it's been the Poseidon Pearl Konrad, with the swag ink from this past weekend's Commonwealth Pen Show: Noodler's Blue Lobsters and Whales, which is a nice medium blue that leans slightly turquoise.  Unfortunately, the change in weather around here has caused a lot of ink being burped into the cap -- so everytime I write with it I get BL&W all over my fingers from the section and threading.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 9/15/2021 at 9:36 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Unfortunately, the change in weather around here has caused a lot of ink being burped into the cap -- so everytime I write with it I get BL&W all over my fingers from the section and threading.... :wallbash:

Your Konrad is a piston-filler, so you should be able to avoid burping by pointing it nib-up and squeezing out the air until you see the ink in the window or better yet at the bottom of the feed. Repeat each day. I have no experience with Konrads, though.

Another of my impulsively acquired BAOER 388s.  It’s hard to see in the photo, but it is a dark blue and black stripe reminiscent of tiger stripes.

Inked with Diamine Indigo.

7EE14CF1-BCA2-4E57-88DD-E0DD9D350FD0.jpeg

Aurora Afrika M nib with MB Lavender Purple ink

goodness but MB had to step it up when competition threatened their pathetic inks  :D

and the FP on ebay asks for 4 times the price paid for it, over 20 years ago

Another day with 'Mr. Churchill' (Conway Stewart broad nib rendition) and Regency Blue ink from Diamine.

6 hours ago, MichaelHall said:

Your Konrad is a piston-filler, so you should be able to avoid burping by pointing it nib-up and squeezing out the air until you see the ink in the window or better yet at the bottom of the feed. Repeat each day. I have no experience with Konrads, though.

Well, apparently it didn't have as much ink in it as I thought.  And now even less -- I went to write something last night and ended up with the swag ink from last weekend's Commonwealth Pen Show all over my hands, the base of the keyboard on my laptop, and on my chair (as well as up in the cap and all over the section and threading....🤬).  Fortunately it did NOT hit the keyboard itself (or the trackpad), and (also fortunately) the ink seems to be washable.  But I've got to get the rest of the turquoise spot off the red and gold upholstery on the chair, still....

The ink might get relegated to a c/c pen for the time being (it really is a very nice turquoise-leaning blue).

ETA: Today, so far, it's been the new to me Parker 45 Arrow (I think the color may be Aqua Blue), M nib with vintage Quink Permanent Royal Blue; and the grey Pilot Decimo, F nib (no longer bent at a horrible angle -- whew! -- thanks to Richard Binder) with the ink he had to test it after the nib work, Waterman Mysterious Blue.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

HongDian A3 with a striated black anodised aluminium body and a gimmicky bicolour steel EF nib (with a matt black face surrounded by a gold-plated rim/band), that I received in the post yesterday. I don't like the look of the nib, and the grind of the tipping was disappointing (to me) for a HongDian EF nib in that form factor; I have used several of the EF nibs on HongDian models 1850, 6013, 517D and 525, and none other have left as broad a line writing in normal orientation or been as scratchy reverse-writing. I'd say this nib wrote smoothly out-of-the-box putting down a Medium-Fine to Medium line, but did have some issue with dryness (making a black ink look dark grey) for cross-strokes and not because the tine gap was too tight. After a frustrating A5 page of test writing, I couldn't be bothered finding the cause of the problems under a loupe, but went straight to regrinding the nib. It now writes (just) OK for my preferences. The body of the pen isn't too bad, but I prefer the heft of the model 517D.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Wality acrylic eyedropper with Jinhao med. nib.  Ink:  Mixture

blue food coloring with drops of vegetable glycerine - with the

last of the black ink in my ink well.

Brown Safari-like clone (aluminum) FP - M. nib.  Ink:  Diamine Sherwood Green (surprisingly a decent writer)

Sheaffer Star Wars Pop Yoda, M nib, with modern Skrip Purple.

Parker 45 Arrow (Aqua Blue?), M nib, with vintage Quink Permanent Blue Black.

Ranga Abhimanyu with a Bock Titanium nib made perfect by Indy-Pen-Dance. Ink is Diamine 150th 1864 blue black.