What Pen Are You Using Today in 2021/22?

HogwldFLTR

I brought my Montblanc Linea Bianca back from retirement. Since I'm so enamored with my Kaweco Liliput, the slim size of the Montblanc doesn't bother me anymore. It is a pretty pen with a very nice medium steel nib. I filled it with Sailor Virginia ink.

montblanc-linea-bianca.thumb.jpg.d30f48f4f25aceae2126584bbd3e7d6c.jpg

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• N1003U

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Using a pilot custom 823 after many weeks of non-use. The ink of choice is Pelikan Edelstein Olivine, which I’m enjoying more and more. 

Monteverde Prima - Green.  B. nib.   Ink:  Diamine Sherwood Green

Narwhal Piston Fill - F. nib.  Ink:  Waterman Absolute Brown

For personal use, it's vintage week, a Pelikan 120 with Ackerman Shocking Blue and a Kaweco V16 with Monteverde Blue/Black (which, to my undiscerning eye, is dark grey).

7B698286-30D0-4168-A43A-5C5DDC4A96E4.thumb.jpeg.237466f7c63096c33f56db343c635909.jpeg

For work, an Aurora Duo Cart with Aurora Black - extremely reliable, uncaps quickly, writes immediately.

ystudio resin x 2

Inked with: Van Dieman's Blackened Seas, and GVFC Hazelnut Brown.f23.thumb.jpg.cd2a15a45703524d16e5482d9406455d.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

My pens for today are:

Kaweco AL Sport Back Stonewashed, Black M nib, Kaweco Blue

Esterbrook Estie Cobalt Blue with gold trim, F nib, Iroshizuku Asa-gao.

5 hours ago, jandrew said:

ystudio resin x 2

Inked with: Van Dieman's Blackened Seas, and GVFC Hazelnut Brown.f23.thumb.jpg.cd2a15a45703524d16e5482d9406455d.jpg

Wow! jandrew congratulations. Thank you for the pics. I've been wondering about the resin ystudios. I like the dark red resin with the blue pattern and also the brass/black combination. I have a Brassing and a Copper Portables and I really love the weight of them and the Hex barrel where it joins the section. It is the best tactile experience of all my pens! The firm spring of the Schmidt nib is very pleasing for me also.

Maybe those pleasures will be lost if I changed to a resin but what new things would I find jandrew? What do you like about your resins?

Do you also have the Brass or Copper to compare?

My Van Dieman's order arrived three days ago and I have the 'Blackened Seas', 'Nutmeg', 'Safron', 'Tiger Snake', 'Tassie Salmon', 'Eucalyptus Regnans'! I went a bit overboard because they had a 50ml bottle for 30ml price special!

How are you liking the ink?

Cheers, Gary

πTom

I am in a yellow pen day, and using the following:

1.  Jinhao 599 Metal  -  Ink:  Teal 

2.  Hero 359 - Ink:  Blue ink cartridge

3.  Sheaffer No Nonsense - Ink:  Diamine Syrah

4.  Pilot Kakuno - Ink:  Chesterfield Emerald

2021-02-23_17-57-11.jpg

1 hour ago, Gaudi95 said:

Wow! jandrew congratulations. Thank you for the pics. I've been wondering about the resin ystudios. I like the dark red resin with the blue pattern and also the brass/black combination. I have a Brassing and a Copper Portables and I really love the weight of them and the Hex barrel where it joins the section. It is the best tactile experience of all my pens! The firm spring of the Schmidt nib is very pleasing for me also.

Maybe those pleasures will be lost if I changed to a resin but what new things would I find jandrew? What do you like about your resins?

Do you also have the Brass or Copper to compare?

My Van Dieman's order arrived three days ago and I have the 'Blackened Seas', 'Nutmeg', 'Safron', 'Tiger Snake', 'Tassie Salmon', 'Eucalyptus Regnans'! I went a bit overboard because they had a 50ml bottle for 30ml price special!

How are you liking the ink?

Cheers, Gary

I don't have a brassing or copper to compare, but the resins certainly don't have the same weight. They do have brass inner-tubes so they do have a little weight (22g) and are nicely balanced, and they have a virtually seamless transition to the brass section. I do like the Schmidt nibs. I have four of the resin models and kept two with the original Schmidt nibs (M and F) and swapped in EF nibs into the other two. You won't find the red with turquoise pattern anywhere though --- I did that inlay myself ;)

My Van Dieman's just came yesterday --- I also got the Eucalyptus (same 50for30 deal). So far I am liking them, good flow, well behaved. I would definitely order more.

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

2 hours ago, jandrew said:

You won't find the red with turquoise pattern anywhere though --- I did that inlay myself

I'm very impressed by that! Very nicely customised.

Despite all the colourful inks I'm actually using my Copper ystudio today with a simple Lamy blue/black. I am on a search for my perfect blue and that is leading me to lots of interesting choices.

Next ink order will be Sailor, Sou Buko Blue Black.

πTom

On 2/20/2021 at 9:07 AM, Doug C said:

Pilot Vanishing Point LS

Marlen Atellen Tales

20210220_090450.jpg

How are you liking the vanishing Point?  I am in the process of researching my first 'step up pen' and am looking at the VP and the Lamy 2000.  It is interesting as I look through the daily use pens that the VP is listed but have not seen a L2K listed.

1 hour ago, bchambers said:

How are you liking the vanishing Point?  I am in the process of researching my first 'step up pen' and am looking at the VP and the Lamy 2000.  It is interesting as I look through the daily use pens that the VP is listed but have not seen a L2K listed.

The VP shown is the newer LS, which is almost twice the price of the regular version (and not worth it, unless you can get a deal like I did).  The retraction mechanism is  the only major difference. 

I also have a VP from the 90's (different body style) and a Raden version of the current one.

I would suggest that you find a way to try out the VP in person.  Most people either do not have a problem with the clip placement or they have a real issue with it (I'm in the latter group; I can live with it but it is a pain). The 90's version is the easiest to use, followed by the LS.

I also have a Lamy 2000.  Again, depending on how you hold it, it might be a problem for you. There are little metal 'ears' on the sides that protrude to hold the cap in place. If you grip far down on the section near the nib, the brushed metal part can also be a little slippery.

Both are great pens, as long as  you know what you're getting.

I'd get both....

the Danitrio Fellowship

On 2/23/2021 at 6:52 PM, Doug C said:

Sailor Koshu Inden

Doug C, obviously you like the koshu inden or you wouldn’t be using it. But how much do you like it?

49 minutes ago, Doug C said:

I would suggest that you find a way to try out the VP in person.  Most people either do not have a problem with the clip placement or they have a real issue with it (I'm in the latter group; I can live with it but it is a pain). The 90's version is the easiest to use, followed by the LS.

I was one of those who had problems with the clip -- but a Decimo is just enough smaller that I don't have a problem the way I did with a VP.  

The downside to Decimos is that they don't come in nearly as many colors (and not all colors are sold in the US); I had to get a grey one from an eBay seller in Japan because that wasn't available stateside -- thus saving money AND bypassing the US distributor's markup; their loss... (PilotUSA told me it was a "marketing decision").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

I was one of those who had problems with the clip -- but a Decimo is just enough smaller that I don't have a problem the way I did with a VP.  

The downside to Decimos is that they don't come in nearly as many colors (and not all colors are sold in the US); I had to get a grey one from an eBay seller in Japan because that wasn't available stateside -- thus saving money AND bypassing the US distributor's markup; their loss... (PilotUSA told me it was a "marketing decision").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Great point about the Decimo. I have never had one but I can guess that it is easier to use.

the Danitrio Fellowship